Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen resolution - not as big as it was !

Options
  • 01-10-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I was running Windows 7 enterprise and upgraded to Win 7 ultimate.

The PC is a custom build and I had the disks off the motherboard and graphics card and was able to install the drivers.

But now for some reason the screen resolution is less then before when on Win7 enterprise. When i right click and select the max it's won't go any higher.

Is there something I'm forgetting to install ? .. or a setting somewhere else i might be missing ?

I went into device manager to check and it's picking up the graphics card.

any tips / ideas would be great. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

NeVeR wrote: »
    Is there something I'm forgetting to install ?

The latest graphics drivers for your graphics card probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Download the latest .inf driver for your monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

degsie wrote: »
    Download the latest .inf driver for your monitor.

Driver for your monitor?

OP, have you tried changing the resolution? Second cloned monitor active?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

when i get home i'll try this.

I didn't download monitor drivers.. I didn't even think of them.

I've tried changing the resolution.. and at the moment i've just one monitor hooked up. The second one will go on once I get everything fixed.

I'll also try get the latest graphics card drivers.. I just assumed the one's on the DVD would work as it worked before.

Is there something i can run to test if i've the latest drivers ?

Thanks for the replies.

Driver for your monitor?

Yes (kinda),
    For example...
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029986.htm

• Advertisement

when i get home i'll try this.

I didn't download monitor drivers.. I didn't even think of them.

I've tried changing the resolution.. and at the moment i've just one monitor hooked up. The second one will go on once I get everything fixed.

I'll also try get the latest graphics card drivers.. I just assumed the one's on the DVD would work as it worked before.

Is there something i can run to test if i've the latest drivers ?

Thanks for the replies.

Replace the video cable your using, then swap ports on both the monitor and card.

Monitors are plug and play. Those drivers would be for pre-plug and play systems(so pre Windows 95). Its the equivalent of telling somebody to install drivers for their USB device because it isn't working.

Monitors are plug and play. Those drivers would be for pre-plug and play systems(so pre Windows 95). Its the equivalent of telling somebody to install drivers for their USB device because it isn't working.

Hmm...so riddle me this...why do Dell, Lenovo, HP etc publish .inf files for windows 7? The inf file will define all available video resolutions for the monitor, the generic driver may not have the required (OP's) resolution available. Might be a better suggestion than replacing the video cable which worked ok prior to the OS upgrade/change :), just sayin'

Hmm...so riddle me this...why do Dell, Lenovo, HP etc publish .inf files for windows 7? The inf file will define all available video resolutions for the monitor, the generic driver may not have the required (OP's) resolution available. Might be a better suggestion than replacing the video cable which worked ok prior to the OS upgrade/change :), just sayin'

Because there is a process there that says they have to. And nobody has bothered questioning it, its easier to just go with it. Similar to the turning off all electronic devices on a plane. Believe me, I work for a tech multinational. There is loads of **** they do that makes no sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sometimes monitors have support for colour management software and the likes where a generic driver may not suit, however Windows will also support this kinda stuff with generic drivers.
    Using the driver will also say {Monitor Brand + model} on Video card rather than pnp monitor on video card, this may be useful for OEMs in diagnosing faults where they can easily get the user to find the monitor model details.
    It should be up to the video card driver to detect the monitors supported modes, not the monitor driver to do so.

Nick

• Advertisement

Right lads..

Here's an update. I've still not looked for new drivers.. but i'm just about to..

I check my screen res and it says 1680 x 1050 --- Now it's set to this.. and I would love it to be this .. but it's clearly not this.

I went to http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/ and it says i'm on 1120 X 700

So there is something wrong.

I will look for new drivers.

I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.. I don't i can get drivers !

Ok i went here http://support.amd.com/la/kbarticles/Pages/hd7700series7support.aspx and downloaded the latest drivers.

I went to install them but at the end of the install is said there was some errors and click to view log.

Inside the log at the bottom it said this !

Error messages
    Driver Install: the installation failed

Just seen that wasn't the english page.. so i'm downloading there auto detect thing.. see what happens.

Is your video card an ATI Radeon? It could be Intel, Nvidia etc. You'll need to find out your video cards make and model number before looking for drivers. GPUz is generally pretty good at recognizing video cards, even without any drivers bar generic being installed, give it a shot and see how you get on

Nick

Software like 'Powerstrip' or 'Quickres2' can be used as a workaround.

Well that didn't work.. the autodetect i mean

I logged into Hardwareversand's where i ordered it from and it says it's a Club 3D Radeon HD 7750, 1024MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7750, PCI- Express

Would there be anything in the bios causing this ?

Well that didn't work.. the autodetect i mean

I logged into Hardwareversand's where i ordered it from and it says it's a Club 3D Radeon HD 7750, 1024MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7750, PCI- Express

ATI drivers are a real pain in the a** being honest. I went from a Nvidia to ATI card and was surprised at how poor the drivers ATI produce are. You can try this.
    • Uninstall any ATI Catalyst drivers from Programmes and Features in control panel, don't reboot after.
    • download Driver Sweeper and install it (Be careful not to install any tool bars/optimizers junk it offers. Just decline)
    • Open Driver Sweeper and choose ATI display. Let it nuke all ATI driver remnants then reboot.
    • download your drivers here and install them

See if things sort themselves after reboot :) .

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    ATI drivers are a real pain in the a** being honest. I went from a Nvidia to ATI card and was surprised at how poor the drivers ATI produce are. You can try this.
    • Uninstall any ATI Catalyst drivers from Programmes and Features in control panel, don't reboot after.
    • download Driver Sweeper and install it (Be careful not to install any tool bars/optimizers junk it offers. Just decline)
    • Open Driver Sweeper and choose ATI display. Let it nuke all ATI driver remnants then reboot.
    • download your drivers here and install them

See if things sort themselves after reboot :) .

Nick

Cheers I will try this later or tomorrow as I have to head out.

thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Lads... won't believe what it was !!

When you right click on desktop I normally went to Screen Resolution,,, When i right clicked i decided to click "Personalization"

In there I seen a "Display" button so I pressed it .. and then i seen it.. Smaller 100% ( default) --- Medium 125% -- Larger 150% and for some reason it was set to 150% LOL

I picked 100% and it's perfect !

Thanks lads.

Glad you got it sorted and didn't have to change the cable as suggested ;)

Advertisement