Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank ufirst Gold Account

• 01-10-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks,

Thought I might pass this on as it may be useful to some of you. Considering that most banks these days are charging fees or making you jump through hoops to get free banking I think this product offers a decent alternative. Main benefits below;

For €14 a month for the Gold Account;

- 'Free' banking (I know its not exactly free at €14 a month but bear with me for the below benefits that essentially make it free!)

- €1,000 interest free overdraft (need to apply in branch for this)

- 25% back on all Ticketmaster purchases up to 4 tickets per event

- Free Phone insurance (€95 excess)

- Free Worldwide Travel Insurance (No limits on number of trips, includes Snow Holidays)

- 10% off travel bookings made with the site (excludes Ryanair but includes almost all other carriers, plus hotels, car hire etc)

There's other stuff in there, 20% at some limited amount of restaurants in the ROI, membership of an Airport Lounge programme (still costs €24 a go), your own Concierge, preferential Mortgage/Personal loan rates, death insurance etc.

Basically I think you'd save the €168 over the year - I saved €42 booking Rugby tickets there alone. The phone insurance (granted the excess is not ideal but you're covered up to €1250 in value) would save most people €10 a month and the travel insurance would be anything to €40-€80 too if bought separately.

Definitely think there's value there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You get two of everything (nearly everything) if it's a joint account.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

As a further FYI that I just found out - If you work for Apple or a number of other big companies (Multi-national & Indigenous) then you qualify for the ufirst account free of the monthly charge (as long as your wages are paid into the account)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

As a further FYI that I just found out - If you work for Apple or a number of other big companies (Multi-national & Indigenous) then you qualify for the ufirst account free of the monthly charge (as long as your wages are paid into the account)

Have you a link for the companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

Do you have a list of these exempt companies by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

thecheese wrote: »
    Do you have a list of these exempt companies by any chance?

+1 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Also would like to see this list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Maybe ask your employers folks?

I doubt any employer would appreciate their Corporate Benefits being circulated on Social Meeja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Been on this for a couple of years and it's great value.
    I was paying €13 a month in mobile insurance alone.

And if you use ticketmaster enough - you can profit from it! :)

25% back (up to 4 tickets) - Money lands back in your current account less than a week after buying the tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Maybe ask your employers folks?

Stop being logical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

The standard ufirst account is just a tenner a month, and has most of the same benefits:
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/extra-benefit-accounts/ufirst.ashx

Travel insurance is Europe instead of world and it doesnt have the preferential overdraft rate, and 'preferential mortgage rates' but apart from that it's the same benefits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Essentially if you are with ulster these extra's actually cost you 10e a month, as Ulster now charge 4e a month as "bank charges".

So factor that in and its not that bad, especially if you take trips out of Ireland maybe twice a year or you want phone insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just an FYI in case people don't know: If you have home insurance you can get phone insurance included on it for about 15 Euro per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Are there catches with the phone insurance? The small print for gadget insurance etc says you must purchase your phone in ROI.

I got my phone from the UK will ulster cover this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you claim on your home insurance for a smartphone expect your premiums to jump next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hank Moody

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Just an FYI in case people don't know: If you have home insurance you can get phone insurance included on it for about 15 Euro per year

Whats the excess on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Think mine is 100 Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Del007 wrote: »
    Have you a link for the companies?

A list wouldn't be any good to you anyway, when i signed up for this i needed a letter on headed paper signed by a specific person along with a payslip. It was also only available at a specific branch.

Time wrote: »
    A list wouldn't be any good to you anyway, when i signed up for this i needed a letter on headed paper signed by a specific person along with a payslip. It was also only available at a specific branch.
    I wonder what size company does it need to be, can I get my employers signed up seeing as they bank with Ulster too and are part of a large multinational.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Thank you for contacting uFirst Gold Membership Services.

uFirst Gold Membership Services are available to assist with any queries regarding the non-financial aspects of your uFirst Gold. Any queries regarding your financial information would need to be directed towards your bank.

For your information the General Banking Contact Telephone Number for Ulster Bank is 1850 424 365.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Any idea how to find out what companies are included in this?

Thanks
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Thanks
    J

Not sure to be honest, I only found out when I went into UB and they asked for a payslip!

Maybe if you ask UB they might tell you but have never seen a list myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

Can someone post up the limits of the cover of the travel insurance? I've looked at their website but you must be a member to see what it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

all on their website. direct link to info

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/roi/ufirstgold_user_guide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

I've looked through that - it does not give you the amounts you are covered for and the categories which you are covered for - anyone?

interesting the UK doc gives the full details (p65) http://www.ulsterbank.co.uk/documents/NI/ufirstgold_user_guide.pdf

But the irish one doesnt...of course the cover could be completely different re UK

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

We have a joint account, I wonder do we pay extra then?
    We will probably go with the ten euro one

Thanks
    J
    Companies which have on-site banking with Ulster Bank.
    We have a joint account, I wonder do we pay extra then?
    We will probably go with the ten euro one
    No extra cost.

currently ufirst and just spent 20mins on phone trying to get an answer on this as i was thinking of upgrade too. Eventually found out 12.5M for medical expenses, 3750 for cancellation/curtailment and 2000 for baggage.

thats better then I get with getcover for 60€ so Im off.

The travel deals do you have to ring them and they quote you for flights or how does it exactly work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm on the basic uFirst at the moment;
    Also means you get reduced interest rates on loans or mortgage from Ulster.

Must look into this Gold Upgrade and see if it would be worth it. Sounds like the travel insurance alone would be worth the extra €4 a month. Joint account too, so need to check if insurance covers both parties.

Has anyone gotten any discounts on their mortgages? Are the rates any good? Ive got my mortgage with another bank but would move if it was worth it

insurance covers account holder and partner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

You probably don't know, but you get a free uFirst account with these. What if you want to upgrade to a uFirst Gold? Is it €4 or €14 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

testicle wrote: »
    You probably don't know, but you get a free uFirst account with these. What if you want to upgrade to a uFirst Gold? Is it €4 or €14 ?

Full €14 :(

I've called the ufirstgold travel service twice now for holiday bookings for next year, on both occasions they stated they would need to ring around the companies and get back to me later that day but failed to do so on both occasions, not liking them to much so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

does anyone know if the 25% off event tickets is confined to events listed on Ticketmaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

ablelocks wrote: »
    does anyone know if the 25% off event tickets is confined to events listed on Ticketmaster?

Unfortunately have to be booked through ticket master

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I've called the ufirstgold travel service twice now for holiday bookings for next year, on both occasions they stated they would need to ring around the companies and get back to me later that day but failed to do so on both occasions, not liking them to much so far!

RBS/Ulster Bank can't manage to run a bank properly so I'm not surprised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yes, you can get tickets at a reduced price of 25% off. The way it works is, you buy the tickets via their telephone or website booking service, and you'll get the 25% returned back onto your card.
    Get 25% cash-back for as many events as you like within the
    Republic of Ireland and the UK. The cash-back will appear in your
    online cash-back summary within five days of booking (subject
    to a successful payment transaction), and will be paid into your
    ufirst account within 30 days of your booking. You do not need
    to do anything to claim it.
    You call their telephone line, or login to the uFirst website for the special link to the tickets.

Discounted airlines are not included (Aer Lingus and Ryanair are out), but others are included. Package holidays are included, but some companies are exempt.

All companies must be able to take bookings, and any that aren't 'direct sellers' aren't included.
    This includes:

a) ‘Direct Sell’ Tour Operators (e.g. Trailfinders, E-Bookers, Center Parcs etc –
    holidays which cannot be booked through a travel agency)
    b) Non-UK based Low Cost Airlines and Ryanair
    c) Hotel stays and car-hire bookings of 31 days or longer
    d)Tickets for domestic ferry journeys or journeys not originating in the Republic of Ireland or the UK
    e) [Basically any of the following that don't take phone or website bookings...]

• Bed and breakfasts
    • Caravans and selected camp-sites
    • Chalets
    • Rental properties (such as privately owned apartments, flats, etc) unless
    booked with a tour operator
    • Time-shares
    • Non-sleeping rooms (such as conference or meeting rooms)
    • Health spas and health farms which do not accept bookings through
    Travel Agencies
    • Hotels which do not accept bookings through Travel Agencies
    • Rooms which are part of a block held by another company for conventions,
    special groups and/or incentive programmes
    • Rooms held by companies on a semi-permanent basis for use by
    their employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Yes, you can get tickets at a reduced price of 25% off. The way it works is, you buy the tickets via their telephone or website booking service, and you'll get the 25% returned back onto your card.

You call their telephone line, or login to the uFirst website for the special link to the tickets..

their website only links to ticketmaster. the event i want to get tickets for is only selling thru tickets.ie. I thought they were no longer doing telephone bookings so will call them in the morning and see. thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

their website only links to ticketmaster. the event i want to get tickets for is only selling thru tickets.ie. I thought they were no longer doing telephone bookings so will call them in the morning and see. thanks anyway.

Its ticketmaster ONLY

I was trying to sign my partner up to this, it would appear that new customers cant apply for a ufirstgold account anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

New registrations finished for Republic of Ireland in January '14. Still available in the North I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

New registrations finished for Republic of Ireland in January '14. Still available in the North I think

Yep. Not available in Ireland anymore for new customers. Even on the ticket booking page they don't list events in Ireland even though they'll give the cash back for tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭jhansynk10

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone who has used the cashback feature for ticketmaster here has received there refunds for cancelled Covid events? I had tickets to EP booked but as of yet no refund.

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone who has used the cashback feature for ticketmaster here has received there refunds for cancelled Covid events? I had tickets to EP booked but as of yet no refund.

Many thanks in advance

Yes, but most have postponed not cancelled, so no refund unless you ask.

Got a refund for one gig automatically from Ticketmaster, which I had also got cashback on

Yeah the refunds are handled through Ticketmaster so once you've booked tickets and been refunded, Ufirst have nothing to do with the booking.

Yeah the refunds are handled through Ticketmaster so once you've booked tickets and been refunded, Ufirst have nothing to do with the booking.

Many thanks,
    Question, did your refund come through in one part (original amount) or two parts ((Original amount - Cashback) and Cashback amount).

Mine came through in two!

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    Many thanks,
    Question, did your refund come through in one part (original amount) or two parts ((Original amount - Cashback) and Cashback amount).

Mine came through in two!

For any refunded gigs, I get the full purchase price from ticketmaster although it's only in one payment. So a profit technically! Haha :)

Nice going, was wondering how they operated that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement