Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Guard for Stove

Options
  • 01-10-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

We have a stove in our sitting room - it not an inset one, its sitting on a slab about 3" high off the ground. the slab is just a little wider than the stove, so we dont have an actual fire place. i'm finding it hard to find a guard that:

1. is not too long in the front - only needs to be about 4foot long at the most.
    2. comes out far enough to reach around the stove.

I hope i have explained this right.
    I have seen the babydan ones, they are a bit pricey - and maybe a bit bulky...I will need something that i can move out of the way with ease to get to the stove..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Argos do guards that you can shorted width ways but not depth ways. Failing that you can always cut a guard down to size. We put up one for our 1 year old, but had to take it down as quick as it was only acting as a climbing frame. If your little one is into exploring these can be more hassle than they're worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

At the moment he is using the stove as a climbing frame (14 months) stove hasnt been lit since he got moving, but thinking we will have to start lighting it soon.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Tippitoes do an extending fireguard (approx 40 iirc) that can be shortened lengthways using clips provided. The gaps between the bars are narrow enough to not act as a climbing frame, and there is a flap at the top covering the gap between stove & fireguard that can be lifted to gain access to stove/fireplace & clipped back into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Tippitoes do an extending fireguard (approx 40 iirc) that can be shortened lengthways using clips provided. The gaps between the bars are narrow enough to not act as a climbing frame, and there is a flap at the top covering the gap between stove & fireguard that can be lifted to gain access to stove/fireplace & clipped back into place.

Tha't the same as Argos one almost, but our fella keeps pulling off his shoes and uses the small gaps with his toes to climb. So still a climbing frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ml123

We have the baby dan one and while it is a tad expensive its definitley worth it. We love it because there's a gate in the middle so it makes cleaning out the stove very easy and as it's screwed to the wall there's no fear of our little fella pulling it down on top of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We have a stove just like that. Our little fella has been crawling all over it since he could stand up on his two feet. He's 18 months now. We lit the fire for the first time last weekend and he wouldn't go near it, just gave it a wide berth as he ran around the room.
    When I lit it I kept him in the kitchen and when it got hot i brought him near and said "hot" and held his hand close enough to feel that it was very warm.
    He understands hot as he says it when he thinks his food is too warm.

He wouldn't go near it all night so we were quite happy about it. We are going to play it by ear but for the moment our little fella seems to be fine. Neither of us would leave him alone in the room with the stove hot even so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement