Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guest network?

Options
  • 01-10-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

hey guys,
    noy sure if i am posting in the right place,but here goes!
    i am having a problem, basically i have upc broadband at home and i also have a granny flat at the back of my garden, i want to share my broadband, if i put the routerat the back of the house i can get the wireless signal which is fine, here is my question, is there a way to share this connection and assign it a certain speed, maybe a guest network! would this work?
    thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

depending on the capability of your equipment. Many routers especially dual band routers have this function

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

thanks for the reply, so if i dont have a dual band router the best i can do is set up a guest network, but they will have full speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Traffic shaping is not a standard feature with most consumer routers. But you don't need enterprise-grade equipment, just make sure the router you buy is compatible with 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT or TomatoUSB. Flash the router with the new firmware and configure QoS (Quality of Service) to your likings. Guides/tutorial are plenty.

Advertisement