Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy on a 457 :(

Options
  • 01-10-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

So after 3 months of working in Melbourne I was made redundant at the end of August :( A bit of disaster really, as I left a very good job in Ireland. I have about 60 days to find a new sponsor. Not looking good at the moment as I work in the Telecomms Industry and everyone knows what's going on at the moment with the NBN!! It's a bit of a waiting game at the moment until the new board is announced. I have some different queries that I hope some of you can help me out with.

I'm turning 31 next March so I can leave Oz at the end of Nov and come back on the WHV.
    Are there work restrictions for this visa like there is with the 1st year visa? I presume mine would be like the 2nd year visa and I could work for the 12 months? If I come back on a WHV, can I get sponsored on a 457 again?
    WHV is my last resort but I need to start looking into it now.

I can also apply for the 189 visa as I have enough points (just not the money at the moment). I was working as a fibre designer for a contractor to the NBN and my visa occupation was stated as a TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICAL OFFICER OR TECHNOLOGIST. This skill is on the SOL and is assessed by Engineers Australia. What does the assessment entail? How much would I be looking at for the application and all the extras?

Also if anyone works in Melbourne in the Telecoms Industry and has some contacts or can help me out i'd really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Firstly, sorry about your redundancy. Please be aware that your employer is now liable for your flight home should you wish to return to Ireland. Make him cough up.

Secondly, I think your a bit confused with your visa information.

The WHV is the 1-year visa with the 6-month work limitation. As you are 30 you still qualify for it so long as you apply off shore. If you complete 3-months regional work and apply before you turn 31, you can get a 2nd year WHV but will still be bound by the 6-month work limitation.

PR is probably not a realistic option onshore as time wise, it is unlikely to be processed in time.

Can't help with contacts, sorry. Best of luck with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Batgurl wrote: »
    Firstly, sorry about your redundancy. Please be aware that your employer is now liable for your flight home should you wish to return to Ireland. Make him cough up.

Secondly, I think your a bit confused with your visa information.

The WHV is the 1-year visa with the 6-month work limitation. As you are 30 you still qualify for it so long as you apply off shore. If you complete 3-months regional work and apply before you turn 31, you can get a 2nd year WHV but will still be bound by the 6-month work limitation.

PR is probably not a realistic option onshore as time wise, it is unlikely to be processed in time.

Can't help with contacts, sorry. Best of luck with the job hunt!

Thanks for the reply batgurl.
    Yeah I'm a bit confused about the whv to be honest. Havent looked at it before now. If i don't do regional work for 3 months how long can I work for in melbourne or am I obligated to do the regional work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

melonstar wrote: »
    If i don't do regional work for 3 months how long can I work for in melbourne or am I obligated to do the regional work?

The WHV entitles you to stay 12 months in Australia from date of entry. If you don't do any regional work you can stay in Melbourne for 12 months but can only work for any one employer for 6 months.

Batgurl wrote: »
    The WHV entitles you to stay 12 months in Australia from date of entry. If you don't do any regional work you can stay in Melbourne for 12 months but can only work for any one employer for 6 months.

Thanks for that information. Really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Have you had a whv already?

• Advertisement

CRenegade wrote: »
    Have you had a whv already?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Have you considered a 190 visa (state sponsorship)? My application was turned around in under two months.

Potential pitfall is you have to stay in that state for two years. In my case thats Victoria which suits me fine because i love Melbourne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Sorry to hear about your situation , that rough.

The best advise I could give would be go and see an immigration lawyer ASAP. they can be expensive but if you find a good one you will leave there $200 down but known exactly what your options are and what you need to do .

Give that time is not your friends I think it's worth while

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

So after 3 months of working in Melbourne I was made redundant at the end of August :( A bit of disaster really, as I left a very good job in Ireland. I have about 60 days to find a new sponsor. Not looking good at the moment as I work in the Telecomms Industry and everyone knows what's going on at the moment with the NBN!! It's a bit of a waiting game at the moment until the new board is announced. I have some different queries that I hope some of you can help me out with.

I'm turning 31 next March so I can leave Oz at the end of Nov and come back on the WHV.
    Are there work restrictions for this visa like there is with the 1st year visa? I presume mine would be like the 2nd year visa and I could work for the 12 months? If I come back on a WHV, can I get sponsored on a 457 again?
    WHV is my last resort but I need to start looking into it now.

I can also apply for the 189 visa as I have enough points (just not the money at the moment). I was working as a fibre designer for a contractor to the NBN and my visa occupation was stated as a TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICAL OFFICER OR TECHNOLOGIST. This skill is on the SOL and is assessed by Engineers Australia. What does the assessment entail? How much would I be looking at for the application and all the extras?

Also if anyone works in Melbourne in the Telecoms Industry and has some contacts or can help me out i'd really appreciate it. :)

Really sorry to hear this Melonstar. You are pretty unlucky in how the NBN is at moment, if you want to hang around for a few months I am sure your skills might be in demand again.

I am happy to forward on any jobs that pop up on our internal careers site. Are there any other telco roles you could apply for? Might just help to widen the net a bit. Feel free to PM if you'd rather not post on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If i don't do regional work for 3 months how long can I work for in melbourne or am I obligated to do the regional work?

You aren;t obligated to do the regional work, but if you did it straight away you would have time to get a second WHV.

This would allow you to stay for 24 months total, and also to work for the same employer for 12 months continuously (the final 6 on your 1st WHV and the first 6 on your 2nd WHV), both of these obviously increase your chances of getting sponsored or securing PR in the future.

• Advertisement

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Have you considered a 190 visa (state sponsorship)? My application was turned around in under two months.

Potential pitfall is you have to stay in that state for two years. In my case thats Victoria which suits me fine because i love Melbourne :)

I want to stay in Melbourne, as I love it too. Unfortunately my skill isnt on the Victoria SOL. :(
    Elfman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your situation , that rough.

The best advise I could give would be go and see an immigration lawyer ASAP. they can be expensive but if you find a good one you will leave there $200 down but known exactly what your options are and what you need to do .

Give that time is not your friends I think it's worth while

Best of luck

Thanks, Do you have any recommendations for me? My 457 was organised through the company so I am unsure as where to start looking.
    jackbhoy wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this Melonstar. You are pretty unlucky in how the NBN is at moment, if you want to hang around for a few months I am sure your skills might be in demand again.

I am happy to forward on any jobs that pop up on our internal careers site. Are there any other telco roles you could apply for? Might just help to widen the net a bit. Feel free to PM if you'd rather not post on here...

Mellor wrote: »
    You aren;t obligated to do the regional work, but if you did it straight away you would have time to get a second WHV.

This would allow you to stay for 24 months total, and also to work for the same employer for 12 months continuously (the final 6 on your 1st WHV and the first 6 on your 2nd WHV), both of these obviously increase your chances of getting sponsored or securing PR in the future.

Thanks Mellor, I though because of my age I couldnt get a 2nd yr WHV? I will be 31 in March.

Thanks Mellor, I though because of my age I couldnt get a 2nd yr WHV? I will be 31 in March.
    Which is why I stressed doing regional work straight away. So you can apply before march.

ok, i didn't realise you could apply for the 2nd year visa without completing a full year on the initial 1 year visa.

Thanks for the info.

ok, i didn't realise you could apply for the 2nd year visa without completing a full year on the initial 1 year visa.

Thanks for the info.
    As soon as you have met the conditions for the 2nd WHV you can apply.
    In fact, you can't wait until you have the full year done, as you won't have valid visa then - you have to apply before the 1st one runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I would've thought someone who works in the telecoms industry on things like the NBN would know how to use Google...
    Seriously though your best option would be to apply for a whv, make a decision on whether you need to do the regional work to get a 2nd whv, which you may not need if you think you can get a more permanent visa granted in under 12 months. Good luck with it and be prepared to look for work outside of your field if necessary.

aido79 wrote: »
    I would've thought someone who works in the telecoms industry on things like the NBN would know how to use Google...
    Seriously though your best option would be to apply for a whv, make a decision on whether you need to do the regional work to get a 2nd whv, which you may not need if you think you can get a more permanent visa granted in under 12 months. Good luck with it and be prepared to look for work outside of your field if necessary.

Seems like a lot of people are well up on visa info here so that's why I asked here. I've found this forum extremely helpful over the last year or so when deciding to move over here.
    I didn't ask to be insulted on a public forum by you or anyone. It's not appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Seems like a lot of people are well up on visa info here so that's why I asked here. I've found this forum extremely helpful over the last year or so when deciding to move over here.
    I didn't ask to be insulted on a public forum by you or anyone. It's not appreciated.

Sorry...didn't mean to insult you. While this forum is good for visa info the first step in finding correct information about visas should always be the immigration website www.immi.gov.au. I have heard some really bad advice been given over the years from people who think they know about visas.

Advertisement