Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush work

Options
  • 01-10-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

May be a long shot, but if anyone could assist me getting back to bush work it would be much appreciated.

Qualified plumber in the process of recognition

10 years construction exp
    Civil construction exp
    Concrete exp
    Labouring exp
    Pipe laying exp
    Bush exp(7week/ 1week)

Tickets and exp on loader, roller, excavator, telehandler and forklift

HR licence, white card and PPE

Halfway through my first year on a whv and meet all criteria for second year

Living in Darwin, can and will relocate

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try Monadelphius (spelling could be wrong), Kenny construction and Murphy pipe and civil (expect 2-3 month waiting time with their HR though). Try Clough and Downer (and Clough Downer joint venture out Roma/Fairview direction) through Santos & Fluer (primary clients).

Try Bechtel/ConocoPhilips on Curtis Island too. It's mostly going to be LNG works (Liquified Natural Gas).

If your tickets and experience are as good as they look on paper you shouldn't find it hard for someone to take interest. Lots of the work I mention are in the Darling Downs region (Dalby, Chinchilla in QLD) working 2/2, 3/1 or 4/1 rosters.

Just apply to everyone and keep at it. Like I said the biger companies can take their time. I think it took 2-3 months before I started my current job back here in QLD from applying. It's all to do with getting the primary client approval, then tertiary client approval and works down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

pete4130 wrote: »
    Try Monadelphius (spelling could be wrong), Kenny construction and Murphy pipe and civil (expect 2-3 month waiting time with their HR though). Try Clough and Downer (and Clough Downer joint venture out Roma/Fairview direction) through Santos & Fluer (primary clients).

Try Bechtel/ConocoPhilips on Curtis Island too. It's mostly going to be LNG works (Liquified Natural Gas).

If your tickets and experience are as good as they look on paper you shouldn't find it hard for someone to take interest. Lots of the work I mention are in the Darling Downs region (Dalby, Chinchilla in QLD) working 2/2, 3/1 or 4/1 rosters.

Just apply to everyone and keep at it. Like I said the biger companies can take their time. I think it took 2-3 months before I started my current job back here in QLD from applying. It's all to do with getting the primary client approval, then tertiary client approval and works down the line.

I know a project manger personally in monadels and he reckons there going very quiet and he isn't to confident within his own job. I've heard of murphys and will check out them and the rest of the above. I just have to stay determined and positive. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If you haven't done so already it might pay to get your cv done professionally. On most of the bigger jobs unless you have a contact then your first hurdle will be the hr department. If your cv isn't in a format that they can easily read and see your relevant tickets and experience then it might not get any further. Have you tried the Itchy's job outside Darwin?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

aido79 wrote: »
    If you haven't done so already it might pay to get your cv done professionally. On most of the bigger jobs unless you have a contact then your first hurdle will be the hr department. If your cv isn't in a format that they can easily read and see your relevant tickets and experience then it might not get any further. Have you tried the Itchy's job outside Darwin?
    I have had my cv brushed up a couple of times and to be honest it wasn't much different just organised in a different way. Itchys/ jkc/ inpex state you must have full working rights to gain employment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm with Murphy's. They are big but very slow HR wise. They pay well regardless of role and its a really good company to work for with a good culture. Try Theiss, Leightons, Ostwald Bros, WDS, McConnell Dowel (MCJV joint venture).

I work as a surveyor so try some survey companies to work as a survey assistant/chainman/chainy offsider role. Most survey companies won't pay the offsides that great compared to what can be earned here in central QLD but its better than the city for sure. Luckily Murphy's is a big civil company and pay better rates than a survey company. Chainys jobs are semi labouring (carrying some wooden pegs, driving some star pickets into the ground. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get chany work without experience as some knowledge of surveying practices are handy. If you've worked pipelines though and are familiar with that, use that to sell yourself.

A lot of the work here is based out of Brisbane and lots of the roles are drive in/drive out of fly in/fly out from Brisbane. I know I've struggled to secure work up here because I'm Sydney based rather than QLD based.

Working in oil/gas will get you your second year. Because there are lots of Irish looking for work there is a bit more of a reluctance to hire people on their WHV unfortunately. if you've done your time out bush then its a 24 hour wait and about $270 to get your 2nd year sorted online. It's pretty easy. You just need to get your foot in the door again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The rainy session is starting up North so bush work will be hard to come by, i would recommend Perth and trying to get on a road resurfacing crew, should give Boral or Downers a call..

Advertisement