Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike for 2014

Options
  • 01-10-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hey!

Looking at new, more aero bikes for next season. My road bike has faired med well but it lacks the competitive edge..money is somewhat of an issue..i've been looking at the Felt B16 (good price point) and the Felt AR5 (bit more expensive but maybe more of an all rounder with the aero benefits)

Wheelset will come the year after most likely.

Anybody got any info on either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I had a felt B16 and it was ok. Not great but a step up from the road bike. In the end I sold it and upgraded. Was looking at upgrading the wheels and base bar and when I factored in the money I would get from selling it combined with what it would cost to upgrade I was better off selling it. It was advertised as an Ultegra build, it wasn't. It had a FSA crank, microshift levers and Ultegra derailleurs.

What sort of budget have you in mind? Can be some good second hand deals at the moment with people selling their bikes for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I'm in the same situation.
    I really like my road bike I have good aero bars, I am thinking of trying a ff seat post and Tri adamo saddle with a new set of wheels, but then again maybe I would be better moving to a tt bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

joey100 wrote: »
    I had a felt B16 and it was ok. Not great but a step up from the road bike. In the end I sold it and upgraded. Was looking at upgrading the wheels and base bar and when I factored in the money I would get from selling it combined with what it would cost to upgrade I was better off selling it. It was advertised as an Ultegra build, it wasn't. It had a FSA crank, microshift levers and Ultegra derailleurs.

What sort of budget have you in mind? Can be some good second hand deals at the moment with people selling their bikes for next season.

I suppose 2000 was the budget, i was hoping to avail of the bike to work scheme to get some cash off so any second hand purchases would have to be real bargains.

What did you upgrade to?

Upgraded a good bit, came into a bit of money so upgraded to an Argon 18 E118. Big change from the felt. Know of one other person in my club who also sold on his Felt B16, again when he looked at the cost of upgrading he decided to sell it on. Not sure of other bikes within that price range, planet X exocet 2 is the only one that springs to mind but not sure on how it is.

Upgraded a good bit, came into a bit of money so upgraded to an Argon 18 E118. Big change from the felt. Know of one other person in my club who also sold on his Felt B16, again when he looked at the cost of upgrading he decided to sell it on. Not sure of other bikes within that price range, planet X exocet 2 is the only one that springs to mind but not sure on how it is.

Ha ha... Wish I could come into some bike money!!

I want something that's going to be an improvement on what I have. My road bike ain't great but it's as good as say a felt f85... If I'm gonna spend I want to get as much improvent as I can.. No point in spending 2k on something marginally better than what I have..

Thinkin the AR5 with some tt bars might be the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

i dont know the exact numbers but if i were to guess a tt bike will save you anywhere between 2-4 mins over 40km

The usual advice to people would be to keep your road bike and buy a TT bike for racing on. But that depends on how serious you want to take racing I suppose. Cycling clubs will not let you out on group spins on a TT bike, so something to keep in mind if your thinking of selling your road bike. One lad in our club has an AR4 with clip on bars (I think, not sure of model but definitely an AR model) and to be honest it doesn't stop him doing well in races. Would regularly be up near the top end.

Also it would be worth saying that felt have released a newer AR model, supposed to be more aero than old one but don't know when the plans to release it are.

The usual advice to people would be to keep your road bike and buy a TT bike for racing on. But that depends on how serious you want to take racing I suppose. Cycling clubs will not let you out on group spins on a TT bike, so something to keep in mind if your thinking of selling your road bike. One lad in our club has an AR4 with clip on bars (I think, not sure of model but definitely an AR model) and to be honest it doesn't stop him doing well in races. Would regularly be up near the top end.

Definitely want to take it much more seriously next year..

I'm still a beginner I suppose but I want something to get better on that I won't outgrow too fast.. Sounds like the b16 is just that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You'd get an old cervelo p2 or even 3 frame for a fair bit under 2k and then build up yourself with new or even 2nd hand parts. Slane cycles up north have a good selection of old frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Work checking out wheelworx if you're in Dublin. They appear to have good deals on tri bikes around this time of year.

• Advertisement

A brand new 2013 cervelo p2 frame will cost 1600..and you could build it with decent components for 600-800 max..worth calling joe in hollingsworth cycles (the cervelo dealer in dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A brand new 2013 cervelo p2 frame will cost 1600..and you could build it with decent components for 600-800 max..worth calling joe in hollingsworth cycles (the cervelo dealer in dublin)

Hollingsworth, bought a bike from them before. never set foot in there again.

600-800?

North of a grand and not including wheels and assuming you do all the work yourself.

tunney wrote: »
    Hollingsworth, bought a bike from them before. never set foot in there again.

600-800?

North of a grand and not including wheels and assuming you do all the work yourself.

Bought frame in states but could have got in hollingsworth cheaper when u add in taxes/duty
    Had wheels and crankset. Frank o connor built it for me with all ultegra components and profile t1 bars...cost was 550 euros including build.

Think euro cycles are having a sale.. The ar5 might be down a bit.. With the BTW scheme possibly bring it all down to 1500.. Think it'd be a deal at that

Bought frame in states but could have got in hollingsworth cheaper when u add in taxes/duty
    Had wheels and crankset. Frank o connor built it for me with all ultegra components and profile t1 bars...cost was 550 euros including build.

So bar the two most expensive parts other than frame it was 550. ah right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Shansey, I was in Wheelworks last week and they are selling the B12 for 2200 if memory serves me correctly. They were also selling a second had B12 used by some triathlon winner (I've forgotter her name) for 2000. It looked in good condition, a few minor scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭GarethM

Anyone looking to upgrade to a serious set of wheels, I have a pair of mavic cosmic ultimates brand spanking new worth 2800 euro and am selling for 1600.

These are top of the range wheels as used in TdF

So bar the two most expensive parts other than frame it was 550. ah right then.

I could have done it even cheaper with 105 components

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I think you're better off with Ultegra. I have 105 on my TT bike and notice a big difference between them and the Dura Ace on my road bike

Entry level wheels 400, tri bars 200+.

Once you take the expensive bits out then 600-800 fair enough

• Advertisement

Entry level wheels 400, tri bars 200+.

Once you take the expensive bits out then 600-800 fair enough

Mavic Aksiums which are entry level wheels are 180 for a pair on bike discount. Crankset yes 200 euro

My point is why spend 1500-2000 on an entry level tt bike when u could build a much higher spec bike for 2400-2500?

1600 frame + 550 ..200 on wheels..200 crankset..and you dont have to buy reflectors like come on most felts!

Mavic Aksiums which are entry level wheels are 180 for a pair on bike discount. Crankset yes 200 euro

My point is why spend 1500-2000 on an entry level tt bike when u could build a much higher spec bike for 2400-2500?

1600 frame + 550 ..200 on wheels..200 crankset..and you dont have to buy reflectors like come on most felts!

Unless a competent mechanic builds it its going to be a mess, Frank O'Connor and Paul in B2R are probably the only two people I would let near a bike of mine (other than mysself)

Great parts put together badly mean a bad bike.

Aksiums? I thought we had said reasonable parts? They are commuter level wheels.

Unless a competent mechanic builds it its going to be a mess, Frank O'Connor and Paul in B2R are probably the only two people I would let near a bike of mine (other than mysself)

Great parts put together badly mean a bad bike.

Aksiums? I thought we had said reasonable parts? They are commuter level wheels.

I did not know there was a level below entry level :D

My whole point is why buy an entry level felt when you can pay that extra for a really good bike if your smart

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I got a new B16 from Eurocycles when they were on sale back in May, for €1300. Absolutely delighted with it so far; I reckon it's made a substantial difference to my TT times and I've had no problems with it mechanically.

Fair enough, the wheels are not great, to put it mildly, and carbon bars would be nice, but as a TT bike for someone on a limited budget, I think it's ideal. Best argument for it was made by Dan Empfield on Slowtwitch:
    As a consumer, I'm always drawn to that place in a company's lineup where they're really straining to make a margin—where the company's bean counters wince as they look at how much money they're not making on an item, and just shrug their shoulders and say, "We'll make back our margin on the other models." That's the soft spot where, as a consumer, I figure I'll get my best value. If I was to guess, I'd say the B16 is that soft spot. This might be the most Felt for the least dollars.

dited wrote: »
    I got a new B16 from Eurocycles when they were on sale back in May, for €1300. Absolutely delighted with it so far; I reckon it's made a substantial difference to my TT times and I've had no problems with it mechanically.

Fair enough, the wheels are not great, to put it mildly, and carbon bars would be nice, but as a TT bike for someone on a limited budget, I think it's ideal. Best argument for it was made by Dan Empfield on Slowtwitch:

Fair points. Cant argue with that view. one thing gets me though If they so clued in why do all shop models have reflectors on them?:rolleyes:
    Carbon bars aren't worth the money imo. Decent wheels are.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

It's a test - it's perfectly acceptable to (try to) race on a B16 without reflectors, but if you leave them on ....

Fair points. Cant argue with that view. one thing gets me though If they so clued in why do all shop models have reflectors on them?:rolleyes:

Legally required.
    Carbon bars aren't worth the money imo. Decent wheels are.

Based on experience or unfounded opinion?

I have alu bars and carbon bars (high quality heds) and notice the difference

Legally required.

Based on experience or unfounded opinion?

I have alu bars and carbon bars (high quality heds) and notice the difference

What difference do you note with them? Do share.
    When Frank was building my bike he said for the weight difference they ar e not worth the money. I value Franks opinion. So went with the alu.

What difference do you note with them? Do share.
    When Frank was building my bike he said for the weight difference they ar e not worth the money. I value Franks opinion. So went with the alu.

Not weight, comfort. Not as harsh. Was very noticeable when I had them an an alu framed bike. For me that's the one of the big draws of carbon as a material (along with ability to mold it).

I still like my alu bars, but thats more because of the extension shape being more suited to long course than the carbon ones (yes I should just buy new carbon extensions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Someone in Ireland would clean up on tri bikes if they were properly set up. Most shops are not. You spend your time going around shops sitting on half built bikes, frames with no pedals or the sales guy holding the bike while you sit on it. If your lucky you might get a go on a turbo. When your spending 2-3k on something it would be nice to get a proper test run on it.

From what I see none of the maunfactures set up at any of the big events to give atheletes a taste of their bikes. Maybe their making too much money as it is and dont need to make the effort?

PX Ireland are selling the Exocet 2 (Dura Ace) for 3900 euro. PX UK are selling it for 2K sterling = 2400 euro. For the life of me I cant see 1500 euros worth of differences on the spec sheets, joke.

Advertisement