Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike for 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Sorry ...i should have started with...my cycle to work scheme is back next summer .. 1000 euro- what to do with it
    My dilemma...feedback welcome
    My tt bike...Dolan Aria tt with absolute rubbish wheels but i love the bike
    My road bike.. BH road bike with aero bars which i also love...

I have 3 options....
    1. trade in road bike and get new road bike for training
    2. trade in Dolan and get new tt bike
    3.. my favourite...pump 1000 euro into my Dolan Aria....chinese import 80mm clinchers for around 500 euro and upgrade as much of the groupset as possible to Shimano ultegra...

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Trig1 wrote: »
    Sorry ...i should have started with...my back to work scheme is back next summer .. 1000 euro- what to do with it
    My dilemma...feedback welcome
    My tt bike...Dolan Aria tt with absolute rubbish wheels but i love the bike
    My road bike.. BH road bike with aero bars which i also love...

I have 3 options....
    1. trade in road bike and get new road bike for training
    2. trade in Dolan and get new tt bike
    3.. my favourite...pump 1000 euro into my Dolan Aria....chinese import 80mm clinchers for around 500 euro and upgrade as much of the groupset as possible to Shimano ultegra...

Any thoughts?

Dolan TT bike, great TT bike. Geometry not taking advantage of the tri rules allowing steeper seatpost angles.

Does a non drafting triathlete need a kick ass road bike? Or that they enjoy riding?

tunney wrote: »
    Dolan TT bike, great TT bike. Geometry not taking advantage of the tri rules allowing steeper seatpost angles.

Does a non drafting triathlete need a kick ass road bike? Or that they enjoy riding?

Ya i definitely love my road bike and would not part with it, even if it is heavy and old.... i also Like the Dolan but just need to make it lighter and get some kick ass wheels...I think I know what I'll be doing already really... has anyone bought chinese import wheels??? or can anyone reccommend cheap ones...Looking at getting 60mm front and 80mm rear carbon clinchers..can get for around 500 on ebay delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Trig, from what I know (and it's not a lot!) weight isn't a huge concern on TT bikes, it's more important to be aero. Not sure of the benefit of upgrading the full groupset, I have a bike with 105 and am just going to up grade when it needs to be changed anyway.

How about a TT helmet? Or a disk wheel on the back, an aerojacket is a cheaper option and just covers the existing wheel. Talk about it earlier on in the thread but what is your base bar like?

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Trig, from what I know (and it's not a lot!) weight isn't a huge concern on TT bikes, it's more important to be aero. Not sure of the benefit of upgrading the full groupset, I have a bike with 105 and am just going to up grade when it needs to be changed anyway.

How about a TT helmet? Or a disk wheel on the back, an aerojacket is a cheaper option and just covers the existing wheel. Talk about it earlier on in the thread but what is your base bar like?

I have a giro advantage tt helmet already, my bike is very heavy due to the rubbish wheels i have on it so definitely need wheel upgrade..getting the clinchers plus an aero jacket could be a possibility...what is a base bar?? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

It might not even be called that Trig, but it's pretty much your handlebar. On the felt I had it wasn't the most aero shape. Just something else that can be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

The poor oul Felts are getting a an awful time here. I have the 2011 B16 and it has given me no problems and it doesn't hold me back either.

Apart from a set of 404's the bike is as I bought it. I thought about getting areo bars on it but in reality I don't think they will make that much difference - it's very easy yo get caught up on the latest and greatest.

Having a decent set of wheels, an aero helmet and actually training is what has made a difference.

However if I was buying again it would be a P2.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Why not get the P3, its only 500 euro more expensive for the frame and its FASTER. I know because the man in the shop told me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Why not get the P3, its only 500 euro more expensive for the frame and its FASTER. I know because the man in the shop told me....

Ha!!!

P3 & P4 flopped due to the changes they made to the frame another man said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The P3 is faster if the more aggressive geometry suits you.
    Ha!!!

P3 & P4 flopped due to the changes they made to the frame another man said :)

The P3 was/is one of the most successful tri/tt bikes made.

The P4 was a flop but not because of how it tested but how it looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    The P3 is faster if the more aggressive geometry suits you.

The P3 was/is one of the most successful tri/tt bikes made.

The P4 was a flop but not because of how it tested but how it looked.

So why has it not sold well again.?
    the aggresive geometry rigggghttt

If you put the P2 and P3 frames beside each other they look the same w.r.t geometry, so people probably keep the extra money to upgrade the wheelset. Which is another thing that would drive you up the wall when buying tri bikes.

Have you ever tried to explain to friend/partner that the wheels that come with your new tri bike are not really the ones you want or need. That you need to spend another grand on wheels. They just look at you, head shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

The latest P3 (2014 model) has more stack so it is less aggressive. Seems to be targeted at longer distance / average competitor. Seems expensive.
    Presume if one is on a budget it is better to go with P2 plus good set of wheels.
    If one can spend a bit more should it go into a better groupset, bars or frame(P3 instead of P2)?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

looking at a second hand B16 for around 900...decent deal or being robbed?

Again it'll be the first tt bike, my road bike is basic at best..

Was looking at the AR5 too for 1800?..best of both or sitting on the fence?

If you knew the person id say go for it, if not then be a bit more careful. Has the groupset set been altered in any way, has the bike been crashed (not ideal with carbon). Most people would be honest enough but if there's a crack in that frame your in the sh*t. Go over it v carefully or bring someone who knows what to look for.

A guy(45-49) in our club has an AR5 and finished 6th in his age group, so its not holding him back (has good wheels and tri bars).

If you knew the person id say go for it, if not then be a bit more careful. Has the groupset set been altered in any way, has the bike been crashed (not ideal with carbon). Most people would be honest enough but if there's a crack in that frame your in the sh*t. Go over it v carefully or bring someone who knows what to look for.

A guy(45-49) in our club has an AR5 and finished 6th in his age group, so its not holding him back (has good wheels and tri bars).

I've been put off a bit.. At the min I ride a 54 road bike.. The b16 is also 54 and someone has told me it would be too big for me.. Does this seem right?

AR5 still def on my mind..

I have 54" Felt road bike and when I tried Felts Tri bikes I was a 52". Your seat post would be low but you could make it fit if you had to. I'd leave it and wait for the right bike, there will be plenty in the next few months.

Have a look below. PX get a bad rap sometimes but for the money you get alot more than most. Both within your budget and the UK deliver for £25.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPFOR/planet_x_stealth_pro_carbon_sram_force_time_trial_bike
    or
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPFOR2/planet_x_stealth_sram_force_time_trial_bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I got the 2012 B16 and I think I was swayed by a comment/review on beginner triathlete that is a great starter bike purely based on the frame and I agree having used it for the past year. Most reviewers suggest changing out the standard components in a drip drip season by season basis.

So far I've changed out; for this season;

The saddle (Adamo Road)
    The aerobar to a more aesthetically pleasing bayonet 3. The stock one was cheap for the asking price tbh.

Next up will be an ultegra crank and chain and getting the pennies together for a wheelset (endless choices). The only complaint through experience is that the wheelset is very very poor (i.e heavy). Had to hire a set of ENVE for a priority race as they were so heavy.

If you see yourself taking on such an ongoing upgrade project then get the b16 or else stump up for a race ready bike imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

considering options for a tri bike as well. going with local shop, so options are trek, giant,fuji, ridley or cervelo. right now I'm leaning towards a P2 build

• Advertisement

Where is this local shop?..they seem to have a decent selection

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Planet Tri in Killaloe. don;t have all those in stock, but can get them in. Have done a proper bike fitting on a road bike with these guys too so they know my measurements and what i need

also showed me a Neil Pryde TT bike, they have one of the road bikes in stock, looked a nice piece of kit. they claim to be faster than a p3

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/bayamo/overview.html

Advertisement