Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Mob...

Options
  • 01-10-2013 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Facebook was alive last night with several folk trying to organise a mob to gather outside Longford Courthouse when the accused from the Athlone rape case was to appear. Some of these went so far as to suggest bringing acid and rocks to throw.
    Im a parent of young kids and i get the emotions involved but I would be almost as concerned at someone who would consider throwing acid at an accused person as a rapist to start with. Should we just abandon our legal system entirely and adopt wild west justice?
    What if, for example , the kids, with the state they were in lead the adults to the wrong house. Not at all far fetched if one were to take into account the bizzarre set of circumstances which lead to the Guildford Four scenario.
    Any thoughts and did anyone attend or witness The Angry Mob?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aileen87

Facebook was alive last night with several folk trying to organise a mob to gather outside Longford Courthouse when the accused from the Athlone rape case was to appear. Some of these went so far as to suggest bringing acid and rocks to throw.
    Im a parent of young kids and i get the emotions involved but I would be almost as concerned at someone who would consider throwing acid at an accused person as a rapist to start with. Should we just abandon our legal system entirely and adopt wild west justice?
    What if, for example , the kids, with the state they were in lead the adults to the wrong house. Not at all far fetched if one were to take into account the bizzarre set of circumstances which lead to the Guildford Four scenario.
    Any thoughts and did anyone attend or witness The Angry Mob?

What was the name of this group or person....i really want to get a group organised and hopefully groups all over the country to try to get the laws changed so we know where these rotten animals live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

aileen87 wrote: »
    What was the name of this group or person....i really want to get a group organised and hopefully groups all over the country to try to get the laws changed so we know where these rotten animals live

You do know that there are endless examples of vigilante mobs targeting the wrong people?

You do know that there are endless examples of vigilante mobs targeting the wrong people?

Yes but in this case they have the right man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

aileen87 wrote: »

Heard that before.
    I've also heard Innocent until proven guilty. They only have the right man after the court case.
    I understand the emotions involved but there are some other sickos out there advocating throwing acid and rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Any person advocating violence on facebook or outside the courthouse should be ashamed. Acid attacks!!! What next? Hangings in the square. Who will decide who we throw acid at, who to hang and for what crimes? There is a reason we have a justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

This is obviously a very emotive subject and feelings are running high.
    However, in the interests of justice being served, it is vitally important that nothing is written here that might prejudice any future trial or appeal.
    This works two ways:
    if the person currently in custody turns out to be innocent, they could legitimately pursue anyone making unfounded accusations or statements about them;
    if they are found to be guilty, the legitimacy of their trial (and/or conviction) could be challenged on the basis of information published in the public domain.

So, please be very, very, VERY careful about what you choose to post here.

[/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Actually, you know what?
    Charges have been brought in this case, so it's all sub judice now.

This subject can no longer be discussed in public.

Thread closed.

[/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement