Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN server on home router - bandwidth usage??

Options
  • 01-10-2013 1:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In work my laptop is connected to my home VPN Server which is configured on my Asus router.

workWifi ___>VPN connection on Laptop___>home VPN____>Web

Couple of questions:

Is everything I browse in work private?
    Is all bandwidth usage now taken from my home Internet connection?

pros & cons

I was bored so needed something to do, but would like to now more about the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Sorry, I posted here first by accident using my sons account, but deleted it after (we sharing a laptop atm as mine is broke)

Yes and yes, a VPN is an encrypted tunnel from your laptop to your home router, your employer will not know where your traffic goes (after your router) or even what type of traffic it is, all they'll see is encrypted packets going to and from your home router. It will be using the same bandwidth at your house as at work, download bandwidth usage at work will be corresponding with your upload bandwidth at home and vice versa.

What is your upload at home, your download speed at work will now be limited to this speed over the VPN? The reason I ask is that most providers offer poor upload speeds many times less than the download speeds, an 8mbit Dsl connection only has 1mbit upload

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

smee again wrote: »
    Sorry, I posted here first by accident using my sons account, but deleted it after (we sharing a laptop atm as mine is broke)

Yes and yes, a VPN is an encrypted tunnel from your laptop to your home router, your employer will not know where your traffic goes (after your router) or even what type of traffic it is, all they'll see is encrypted packets going to and from your home router. It will be using the same bandwidth at your house as at work, download bandwidth usage at work will be corresponding with your upload bandwidth at home and vice versa.

What is your upload at home, your download speed at work will now be limited to this speed over the VPN? The reason I ask is that most providers offer poor upload speeds many times less than the download speeds, an 8mbit Dsl connection only has 1mbit upload

thanks Smee.

Again I am not up to anything sinister. Just had a free hour in work so was browsing my new Asus router remotely from work and setup a VPN server on it, gave it a test from my work laptop (in work), and bingo it worked - yet raised a lot of questions with me as to what pros and cons it brings.

Its nice to know but that I now have a secure encrypted tunnel to my home network to connect to a site that my employer might frown upon, again nothing sinister but maybe something like a game of footie when the W.C is on ;)

answer your question..
    50 down and 5up at home
    5down and .5up in work (shítty)

Advertisement