Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Napoli, 19:45, SS2 & Setanta Ireland

• 01-10-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Big game tonight, a win for Arsenal and qualification looks a distinct possibility. Napoli are very dangerous on the break but with the news that Higuain is likely out should be good news for arsenal fans and Arsene Wenger alike after the big transfer rumour never came off. these two teams drew 2-2 in the emirate cups in early august, but expect a more competitive game this time with two tighter defenses. Dortmund will have one eye on this game tonight as they are already chasing both teams. Predicition: Arsenal 2-1 Napoli

Probable teams are:
    BVfWYGeCAAA8H7_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't take Napoli lightly but I do think we will get the win tonight, I'm going with a 2-1 win aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

BTTS looks a cert to me but I reckon Arsenal will pip it, thats not to discount a very good Napoli side under Rafa who could easily come and take points from Arsenal, should be a good game to watch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I was actually tipping Napoli as my dark horses of the competition as we all know how good Benitez is in European competition so this is a massive test for us tonight and will gauge where we are at in terms of competing with the very best in Europe. Heart says win but head says score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Narrow win for Arsenal but I wouldn't be surprised if Napoli take a point or even three. I'm not as confident of their chances without Higuain that said.

There is a definite lack of pace in the middle of the Napoli defence that Arsenal should look to exploit, could be a game Walcott shines in if he turns up tonight.

Looking forward to it.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    I was actually tipping Napoli as my dark horses of the competition as we all know how good Benitez is in European competition so this is a massive test for us tonight and will gauge where we are at in terms of competing with the very best in Europe. Heart says win but head says score draw.

Atleti are the major dark horses imo. No team will want to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Narrow win for Arsenal but I wouldn't be surprised if Napoli take a point or even three. I'm not as confident of their chances without Higuain that said.

There is a definite lack of pace in the middle of the Napoli defence that Arsenal should look to exploit, could be a game Walcott shines in if he turns up tonight.

Looking forward to it.
    Walcott is injured.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Walcott is injured.

Yeh I can see Gnabry getting the nod tonight, if he does will be a big test for him in a high pressure game to see if he is ready for it mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Going for a draw here. Napoli and Arsenal are both in terrific form.
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Atleti are the major dark horses imo. No team will want to play them.

They are if they can avoid key injuries. I don't believe they have the squad depth. Definitely nobody will to face them anyway. They're super organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Jernal wrote: »
    Going for a draw here. Napoli and Arsenal are both in terrific form.

They are if they can avoid key injuries. I don't believe they have the squad depth. Definitely nobody will to face them anyway. They're super organised.

Atleti trailed off a little around February last year and the same could well happen this year too. Simeone works them unbelievably hard, and as you mention, the squad is a bit too lightweight in certain areas.

They have very few options up front and poor cover at full-back.

As for tonight, it's an intriguing match up. I've never been a fan of Albiol and I fear Arsenal will be just too good for Napoli's defence tonight, but I can't wait to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeh I can see Gnabry getting the nod tonight, if he does will be a big test for him in a high pressure game to see if he is ready for it mentally.

He's grown massively in confidence from the Stoke game to the Swansea game a week later. And that's despite missing a penalty against West Brom. I think he's up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Im going for a 2 nil win. Will put us in a nice position and if we can make it to the end of the internation break after that with no new injuries our squad will be looking a lot better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    BTTS looks a cert to me but I reckon Arsenal will pip it, thats not to discount a very good Napoli side under Rafa who could easily come and take points from Arsenal, should be a good game to watch too.

Nailed on. PP would think so too offering 4/7 about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The Sassuolo scoreline has me nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Tonight is the night Ozil shows us what he's really capable of in an Arsenal shirt.
    I'm sure of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Fancy Napoli tonight and have taken some of the 10/3 available.

Tonight is the night Ozil shows us what he's really capable of in an Arsenal shirt.
    I'm sure of it!

Benitez is the kind to not allow players like Messi, Ozil, RVP, Ibra to have any significant influence. Ozil and Ramsey are the biggest dangers for Arsenal, so I'd expect Benitez will have plans in place to curtail them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Prediction for this one 2-2.

Johner wrote: »
    Fancy Napoli tonight and have taken some of the 10/3 available.

where's that price?

Jernal wrote: »
    Benitez is the kind to not allow players like Messi, Ozil, RVP, Ibra to have any significant influence. Ozil and Ramsey are the biggest dangers for Arsenal, so I'd expect Benitez will have plans in place to curtail them.

Agree with that; however setting up or targeting specific players will always leave the door open for others to exploit this - I expect Gnabry to have another good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

rarnes1 wrote: »
    where's that price?

Stan James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Johner wrote: »
    Stan James.

11/4 with PaddyPower

• Advertisement

11/4 with PaddyPower

10/3 is better :)

cson wrote: »
    Agree with that; however setting up or targeting specific players will always leave the door open for others to exploit this - I expect Gnabry to have another good game.

Yeah, I'm expecting the "fringe" players on both sides to shine tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Pandev scored twice at the weekend in a more advanced role so he has his shooting boots on should Higuain fail to make the team, though I am hearing he will start despite not being 100 per cent. Honestly I am more concerned if we lose Albiol as he has been fantastic so far and there really is nobody to replace him.

population wrote: »
    Pandev scored twice at the weekend in a more advanced role so he has his shooting boots on should Higuain fail to make the team, though I am hearing he will start despite not being 100 per cent. Honestly I am more concerned if we lose Albiol as he has been fantastic so far and there really is nobody to replace him.

Pardon the stereotype but an Italian club with no real back up for a defender? :p

I'd argue we're better defensively than you, which is weird to say given its a Benitez team.

You're probably stronger than us attack wise tonight given we're without Walcott, Podolski and Cazorla.

If either team manages to win this then they're pretty much through I think. If Arsenal lose then those Dortmund games become huge if they win tonight. Flip side though is if Arsenal win then two draws v Dortmund and we knock them out pretty much. So many permutations :eek:

Anyways, lets enjoy this match tonight, should be a cracker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

rarnes1 wrote: »
    10/3 is better :)

It's 7/2 with quite a few firms too

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/champions-league/arsenal-v-napoli/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paddy Power are 3/1 for a Napoli win at the moment. Lots of the other firms who have introductory offers offering better odds.
    Hard game to call imo. Genuinely could go either way with two of the in form teams in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not seeing this BTTS stuff myself, can see it being 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AdamD wrote: »
    Not seeing this BTTS stuff myself, can see it being 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1.

:confused:

Pity ITV/TV3 have not got this game :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

mike65 wrote: »
    :confused:

Pity ITV/TV3 have not got this game :(

As in low scoring, so not a great bet to make.

amiable wrote: »

It's drifted a lot.

Iirc it was 14/5 bp yesterday.

Napoli Draw no bet @ 9/4, I'll have that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

cson wrote: »
    I'd argue we're better defensively than you, which is weird to say given its a Benitez team.

You're probably stronger than us attack wise tonight given we're without Walcott, Podolski and Cazorla.

If either team manages to win this then they're pretty much through I think. If Arsenal lose then those Dortmund games become huge if they win tonight. Flip side though is if Arsenal win then two draws v Dortmund and we knock them out pretty much. So many permutations :eek:

Anyways, lets enjoy this match tonight, should be a cracker. :)

I would agree with you 100 per cent. Defensively we have improved but mainly due to the efforts of Albiol who has started well. Benitez really wanted to improve the defence but didn't get his man in Skrtel (who though nothing special is better than what we have) and so we are short of decent defenders. Cannavaro is just not up to it at this level and losing Campagnaro was a blow. Should be a cracker of a game. I like Arsenal and Arsene Wenger a lot. I feel you have the upper hand tonight but I am hoping we can pull off at least a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

3 -- 0 to the Gunners.
    The Italian League is poor I have been informed not that I see much of it.

Arsenal line up like this...

Szczesny

Sagna - Per - Kos - Gibbs

Arteta - Flamini

Ozil - Rambo - Rosicky

Giroud

Wilshere on the bench.

No Higuain for Napoli but Albiol starts.

Arsenal subs bench...

Fabianski, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal, Wilshere, Gnabry, Bendtner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Subs bench is looking better. Do we think Ozil or Rambo are shoved out wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like that line-up. Arteta free to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I am loving the Arsenal line-up. Completely.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm not particularly enthused by the trio of Rosicky, Ozil and Ramsey. None are suited to playing wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'm not particularly enthused by the trio of Rosicky, Ozil and Ramsey. None are suited to playing wide.

Helps when you've a left back like Kieran Gibbs though.

• Advertisement

Solid and experienced, but little pace.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd expect a lot of chopping and changing between them, Chelsea did a great job of that last season on occasion with Oscar,Hazard and Mata. Whether it will work for us is another thing of course, not the ideal match for experimenting.

Wasn't expecting this line up at all, will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jack and Gnabry decent options from the bench if we need some impetus later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For the love of God please don't let that be Ramsey out wide.

But then at the same time - Ozil needs to play in the centre.

Maybe we're only going to play in the central third of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Carragher was only saying mert isn't good enough for arsenal a few weeks ago, now he suddenly is. Good man.

Not overly enthusiastic about that line up but we shall see. Would have prefered Wilshere and Gnabry to have kept there places but does give us good strength on the bench and supppose a rest wont do them any harm as long results go our way.

I think Ozil will play central but not for a few weeks when we have a fully fit team he will play number 10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yess I get to watch this as got my training out of the way early today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can't see us losing this. A win will be hard-won though.

Ugh we're going to be so narrow. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Arsenal to win, Higuain to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

tbh our best season since 2005, was the season we were most narrow with rosicky and hleb on the wings

• Advertisement
Advertisement