Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any live tile or Widget to turn off mobile data

• 01-10-2013 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I'm an Android user. I got my other half a Lumia 520. Partly to see if I could move to Windows phone myself. And partly because it was cheap.

She has a crappy plan that gives her 250Mb data per month. That's not loads but it's enough for her if she turns the mobile data on & off only when she wants to update her email.

In Android I could set up a widget on a home screen that can turn off mobile data with one press rather than go into settings and flute around. Is there any equivalent on Windows phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Haven't found one yet that does it in one press but there's a couple of apps I've tried that you can pin a shortcut to the mobile network settings page where you can turn on and off the data connection

1. Toggle
    2. ConnectivityShortcuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Haven't found one yet that does it in one press

And unless Microsoft deliver such a title you will never find one. Its a protected action. Certain things are forced through the OS's UI flow to ensure users are aware of what's going on e.g. all calls must go via the dialer. If it was otherwise I'm sure you could imagine the out cry when some app turns on your data with no user interaction. Or rings a premium rate number without interaction. Isn't the android network/wifi toggle widget part of the OS itself? I don't remember it being a 3rd party app.

[aside]
    One thing I dislike about WP 8 over WP 7.5/8 if the fact the on/off of mobile data is now a drop down rather than the toggle as per WiFi/Bluetooth etc. Its an extra click that's not needed there can only be two states!
    [/aside]

Something is lingering in the back of my mind saying 8.1 is bringing some improvements to this area of the OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

kayos wrote: »
    And unless Microsoft deliver such a title you will never find one. Its a protected action. Certain things are forced through the OS's UI flow to ensure users are aware of what's going on e.g. all calls must go via the dialer. If it was otherwise I'm sure you could imagine the out cry when some app turns on your data with no user interaction. Or rings a premium rate number without interaction. Isn't the android network/wifi toggle widget part of the OS itself? I don't remember it being a 3rd party app.

I think the apps that do it in Android just rename the APN (so it doesn't work) when you hit the toggle and then rename it back when you hit it again.

Advertisement