Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading and Leeds 2014

Options
  • 01-10-2013 3:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Melvin Benn, organiser of Reading and Leeds Festivals, has revealed to NME that he has already booked two of the three headline acts for next year's festival.

Benn, who this year secured Biffy Clyro, Green Day and Eminem to perform across the August bank holiday weekend, says that there is only one space left to be filled at the top of the bill. He also praised the changes made during this year's festival, in particular the addition of the 1Xtra Stage and Radio 1 Dance Stage.

Speaking about the names topping the bill in 2014, Benn said: "We have headliners in mind and booked actually. Two of the three are done, the last one we are giving due consideration to. Both of the headliners have played before." Asked for clues as to who the acts may be, Benn added: "They are bands actually. They are American and English."

Pushed as to whether this meant one American band and a British act, Benn continued: "They may even be bands with members from both sides of the pond in them. Two of the three are booked and I'm very happy with them. It's great to be in that position in September. We'll hope to have the third name booked by the end of October but we haven't made an offer yet."

Praising the changes made at this year's festivals, he continued: "The core change was the addition of the two new stages, the 1Xtra Stage and the Radio 1 Dance Stage. The 1xtra Stage was the thing I was most pleased about. The reaction to the idea of 1Xtra being involved was negative from a small amount of people and I think we countered that negativity with the programming and the atmospheres in there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

It could be any of the following - Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Queens of The Stone Age, Paramore, Pearl Jam or KOL (if they don't get AM)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

excited for this wouldn't be an understatement, finally get to go this year even though I'm kicking myself over missing last years lineup! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

eldest200 wrote: »
    It could be any of the following - Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Queens of The Stone Age, Paramore, Pearl Jam or KOL (if they don't get AM)
    Supposedly the 2 acts booked headlined before QOTSA and Paramore havent unless one is third headliner. Think you could add Metallica, Stone Roses and the Prodigy to the potentials.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Supposedly the 2 acts booked headlined before QOTSA and Paramore havent unless one is third headliner. Think you could add Metallica, Stone Roses and the Prodigy to the potentials.

Are Paramore a festival headliner though? Personally i think they will only be a sub headliner or 2nd stage headliner at festivals imo.

Queens could be a good choice especially since their arena tour has sold very well and need to make the leap to headliner and can only see them headlining R&L.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Are Paramore a festival headliner though? Personally i think they will only be a sub headliner or 2nd stage headliner at festivals imo.

Queens could be a good choice especially since their arena tour has sold very well and need to make the leap to headliner and can only see them headlining R&L.

QOTSA would be a great choice, but as I said 2 slots are already gone to previous headliners 1 remains is it them I think they're more likely than Paramore for sure.

Paramores arena tour was a sell out the last time they played R&L which was 12 when they subbed the Cure, dunno how they sold this time round though. Not exactly a fan but I imagine their gigs are all ages allowing them to shift more tickets. After only a 2 year gap since they last played I think they'll more than likely be elseswhere unless headling.

• Advertisement

1662351_10152215754784433_831868990_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very safe. Funny seeing Hozier on lineups, mate is in the band!

Mushy wrote: »
    Very safe. Funny seeing Hozier on lineups, mate is in the band!

Yea fair play to him . Would have presumed if he was playing he would be in a later announcement near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I really really don't get the fuss about arcade fire and arctic monkeys

Advertisement