Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US govt shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

tricky D wrote: »
    Just to confirm, helicopter tours of the Grand Canyon are working just fine and well worth the $250ish:)

There is a very small consolation re the shutdown. If you are visiting a smaller NP facility, you won't have to pay the small entrance fees. Eg. Taking the Mono Lake trail usually is $3, but with no one there to charge you...

Hope there is no barrier across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is it possible to just walk into the Grand Canyon park ?

how far are the 1st view points from the entrance gate on the southern rim ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

the_monkey wrote: »

nope...the entrance is at a visitors center a way back from the rim - you could probably not be allowed that far as the 4000 staff that work there are furloughed except for the ones posted at the gate

nope...the entrance is at a visitors center a way back from the rim - you could probably not be allowed that far as the 4000 staff that work there are furloughed except for the ones posted at the gate

Great ....

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Great ....

You'll find here that they are VERY strict on these sorts of things. To be honest, I wouldn't risk it or waste the petrol. You won't be able to talk your way passed these guys (why would you even try?...they have access to firearms). At this time of year 18000 a day visit the canyon, they are not letting anyone through.

The grand canyon is a long drive from anywhere - better to either fly over it or hope that the shutdown ends before you want to go.

• Advertisement

You'll find here that they are VERY strict on these sorts of things. To be honest, I wouldn't risk it or waste the petrol. You won't be able to talk your way passed these guys (why would you even try?...they have access to firearms). At this time of year 18000 a day visit the canyon, they are not letting anyone through.

The grand canyon is a long drive from anywhere - better to either fly over it or hope that the shutdown ends before you want to go.

Yep, we go October 11-20 , hopefully within that time frame it opens/shutdown ends..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Damn shut down :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Tbh you'll be lucky if this is over by then. Looks like things will go right up until the debt deadline and possibly beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Damn shut down :mad::mad:

Damn Indianapolis colts...

Did you find a good place to watch the game?

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Tbh you'll be lucky if this is over by then. Looks like things will go right up until the debt deadline and possibly beyond.

Thanks , you don't know that tho ...

• Advertisement

F*ck this , I'm gonna just walk in , if they wanna shoot a guy with a camera to take once in a lifetime photos they can fúcking shoot me ....

At least the media will make a big story of it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Man gets shot" does not equal big story in the USA. You might feature on the local news, possibly, depending on whether or not a kitten has cured someone's cancer, or the mayor is revealing the world's biggest hamburger etc ;)

F*ck this , I'm gonna just walk in , if they wanna shoot a guy with a camera to take once in a lifetime photos they can fúcking shoot me ....

Have you looked at the map? If you're serious, best of luck, (I dont think they'd shoot you.)

But there arent many places to leave your car without it being noticed and then you'd probably have at least fifteen miles of hiking through the bush. Unless youre going to camp overnight then thats a 30 mile hike. Buy a good GPS. And a backup. You know about what do about snake bites right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.022967,-112.122731&spn=0.024574,0.041499&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=36.022965,-112.12273&panoid=dw3STWVsl4HMjg-_KE3uIw&cbp=12,1.4,,0,4.19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I would not advise that. There are rangers at some strategic points. Also bear in mind it's federal jurisdiction, so penalties are a good bit higher.

Pffft, had my hopes up there when Obama and Boehner were speaking , alas nothing resolved.

Its true, it's a game of chicken and no one ever swerves 500m before the cars collide , it either ends in a crash or a last second swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Go look on Google Maps. I think you'll be surprised at the scale of the Grand Canyon United States.

Looking good with these talks !! , also good thing is Monument Valley is open, it's a Navajo park so the govt can't get their greedy mits on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

any point in cancelling flights at this stage? would aer lingus cancel flights too?

what doctor would give a sick note to save me the small fortune on flights?!

damn you republicans!

phonchoman wrote: »
    any point in cancelling flights at this stage? would aer lingus cancel flights too?

what doctor would give a sick note to save me the small fortune on flights?!

damn you republicans!

I wouldn't go doing that yet, things could change soon - at least they are talking now, and plenty of places open that aren't federal parks

Grand Canyon re opening
    But some reports say just for Columbus weekend (this) others say up to 10 days ?
    I have very limited access can someone confirm this ?

• Advertisement

Payments on the national debt are due on the 17th.

Defaulting on the debt would have worldwide financial repercussions so its expected the Republicans will cave in before that. The Big money that runs the republican party wouldn't allow it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Grand Canyon re opening
    But some reports say just for Columbus weekend (this) others say up to 10 days ?

limited access to the Internet ?

https://twitter.com/GrandCanyonNPS

open tomorrow. no news from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Heard on the radio that the Statue of Liberty will also be opening. Some states are stepping in and funding parks themselves.

Yup. Looks like many parks opening. Incl grand canyon, dunno about Yosemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Im in vegas at the moment. Spent a bloody fortune! Over 3k in 5 days, not including flights etc. didnt do the canyon trip. Too much spent already. I rented a camaro and drove to hoover dam and that was great. Also i came 6th out of 70 players in a holdem comp. not bad for my 3rd ever game at a poker table eh? Lost with pocket kings to a Q6, which flushed on the river.

About to check out now and head to nyc for 3 nights. Looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

National Parks service reportedly losing $32 million a day on this shutdown with lost revenue.

Going to Grand Canyon tomorrow
    Breaking in would have been fun !!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

According to CNN it's for "at least seven days" after which they'll re-assess, assuming there's a need to (i.e. that the idiots still have the government shut down).
    I need more than seven days though so if the morons haven't re-opened government then somebody over there ensure the governor has enough money to keep the park open for longer!
    And don't get me started on Yosemite Park.. they need to get moving on that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

wohoo, all over (for now).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very happy here - and just in time for my holiday! Immediately booked Alcatraz for the upcoming trip.

Advertisement