Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Box Locks

Options
  • 01-10-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Looking for people's opinions re. locks for horse boxes.

A little bit of back story: We bought our box second hand a few years ago and we don't have the key for the hitch lock which is on the box. Is it possible to get a new lock fitted? Or would it be better to get something like a wheel clamp instead?

What do you guys use, if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

i have a wheel hitch and also a bulldog hitchlock,
    http://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-aw-hitch-lock/56

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

I replaced the hitch lock on my box and it was very simply and cheap to do.
    TBH I was very surprised how quick and straightforward a job it was. New lock with fitting instructions and 2 keys for €15 delivered from eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

Bulldog hitch lock & a wheel clamp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i have a hitch lock as well (gonna be hard try explain the next bit without a picture) but there is a hole going through my hitch that i can use a long u shaped lock to stop the handle being lifted up and clicking onto a towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enjoylife

We use a box-like item, that goes on over the hitch. It makes it untowable, unless removed. Maybe €20 bought it, a couple of years ago.

Also, it is a great idea to personalise your horse-box, with some graphics or writing on the exterior. When we travel, we can pick ours, out of the crowd, from a huge distance. A thief, is always looking for the easiest option.

Older boxes are chipped, and newer ones have ID numbers burnt into the chassis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement