Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Price Increase without notification

Options
  • 01-10-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

I signed up to UPC for broadband and tv (I have no landline available) approximately 6 months ago. I agreed a price of €63.50 a month (sad at all the offers out there now of course) and signed a 12 month contract at that fee.

After 2 months they changed my monthly payments to €67.50 a month. I only realised this a few weeks ago when I questioned the €67.50 bill on my online bank account as I thought I remembered the fee being lower.

I lodged a query with UPC online. They got back to me and told me that they e-mailed me well beforehand to tell me that this price increase was due. I 100% never received this e-mail. To compound this, I received a letter from them last week when they were "apologising in advance" for digging up the road for upgrades. So they can send a letter for one scenario, but not another. Considering it was a price increase, I think I am well within my rights to expect written notice.

I have requested that they refund me the "overpaid" amount, and revert my payments to €63.50, or refund me and cancel my contract. It seems like they are not willing to do either. What are my options now? Financial Ombudsman? I know that it's a small amount, but it's the principal for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

What do the T's and C's say about price increases through out the term of the contract and how you will be notified.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your options,
    Well, realistically you can't expect them to provide you with the service at any older price in the future.

You can either pay the newer price and keep your service or depending on the situation, proof of sending you the notification etc you may be able to cancel your services with them.

Your steps should be to follow their formal complaints procedure and failing that contact comreg, you must follow their formal complaints procedure first though.

Comreg don't require telecom companys to send a physical written letter to customers by post about price increases. So your request for this to be done is pointless. Providers can do it via other methods such as e-mail and this is fine as far as Comreg is concerned.

I suggest you read your Terms & Conditions to begin with
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GeneralTermsandconditions28012013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 40 richiebox

Thanks for the replies. I understand about the notification by e-mail sufficing now. Problem is, they never communicated this to me by e-mail, contrary to their claim.

Off to comreg then I guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

richiebox wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I understand about the notification by e-mail sufficing now. Problem is, they never communicated this to me by e-mail, contrary to their claim.

Off to comreg then I guess.

Its possible it ended up in your junk mail/spam folder, it happens and it would be beyond upc's control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Make sure you read their T and C's first. I recall some years ago when I was with Sky and they increased their prices while I was in a contract. When I phoned them up about it, I was told there was a clause in the T and C that allowed them to increase the price by up to 10% if new channels were added...or something along those lines. It was roughly 10 yrs ago so I can't remember exactly. Needless to say I was very annoyed but there was nothing I could do until my contract finished.

Read the small print!

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    Make sure you read their T and C's first. I recall some years ago when I was with Sky and they increased their prices while I was in a contract. When I phoned them up about it, I was told there was a clause in the T and C that allowed them to increase the price by up to 10% if new channels were added...or something along those lines. It was roughly 10 yrs ago so I can't remember exactly. Needless to say I was very annoyed but there was nothing I could do until my contract finished.

Read the small print!

Good luck.

they cannot force you to accept new rates, you can always use this to break out of the contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    they cannot force you to accept new rates, you can always use this to break out of the contract

If only I knew then what I know now...! At the time I was young and Sky weren't so forthcoming with that piece of information. :rolleyes: If it was now I wouldn't let a company get away with it. Live and learn!

Advertisement