Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Vs Barcelona TV3 & ITV1 19:45

• 01-10-2013 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Celtic hoping for repeat of last season when they won the corresponding Parkhead fixture 2-1. Barcelona will start as strong favourites, but are without Messi.

Lennon will probably go with 1 up front, will it be Stokes or Pukki. Celtic are playing for 2nd place at best or 3rd in this Group, a result tonight would be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Barca are far more direct season. Meaning Celtic will have more of the ball than usual and parking the bus is a little bit trickier. Though I'm sure Lennon will be keenly aware of this.

Also, I mean no disrespect to Celtic and Barca fans but unless RTE/TV3 show Arsenal Dortmund, I feel Arsenal fans are being short changed here with the tv selection. I have a subscription to sky sports so it doesn't bother me but Arsenal's group is the most appetising group to a neutral. Why Aresnal Napoli isn't the choice for mainstream Irish TV is beyond me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jernal wrote: »
    Also, I mean no disrespect to Celtic fans but unless RTE/TV3 show Arsenal Dortmund, I feel Arsenal fans are being short changed here with the tv selection. I have a subscription to sky sports so it doesn't bother me but Arsenal's group is the most appetising group to a neutral. Why Aresnal Napoli isn't the choice for mainstream Irish TV is beyond me. :confused:

Yeah it's quite bizarre. It was fair enough with the Marseille game but are Celtic really that popular here still? Surely you'd get far more neutrals with Napoli v Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm biased of course but I reckon the Celtic v Barca game would be more attractive to neutrals, a David vs Goliath game always seems to attract a bit of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Also, I mean no disrespect to Celtic fans but unless RTE/TV3 show Arsenal Dortmund, I feel Arsenal fans are being short changed here with the tv selection. I have a subscription to sky sports so it doesn't bother me but Arsenal's group is the most appetising group to a neutral. Why Aresnal Napoli isn't the choice for mainstream Irish TV is beyond me. :confused:

ITV are showing Celtic too. Usual love in with tv stations hoping for a repeat of the last time they met. Arsenal will be shown again once Celtic are out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

napoli versus arsenal or celtic versus barca.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    in a lot of ways, i wish celtic and rangers didnt exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Whatever about RTE showing Celtic, always going to be the case, but I thought that ITV would get more wanting Arsenal-Napoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Excited for tonight, nothing compares to the big nights at Celtic park.

When that music comes on and I watch our bhoys strolling out ready to go to battle with the best on the planet the hairs will be standing on the back of my neck.

Tonight will be electric, I can not wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ITV are showing Celtic/Barcelona & Sky Sports are showing Arsenal/Napoli in the UK. The Celtic/Barcelona wont be a choice on the red button AFAIK so it suggests there are terms and conditions to showing UCL matches, you can't just have any match. TV3 showing Celtic/Barcelona is probably down to Setanta Ireland showing the Arsenal/Napoli game. Why would TV3 show the better match on their FTA service when they can use it as a carrot for their subsidiary's subscription service. I'm sure the neutrals can get the Arsenal/Napoli game if they really want to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dempsey wrote: »
    ITV are showing Celtic/Barcelona & Sky Sports are showing Arsenal/Napoli in the UK. The Celtic/Barcelona wont be a choice on the red button AFAIK so it suggests there are terms and conditions to showing UCL matches, you can just have any match. TV3 showing Celtic/Barcelona is probably down to Setanta Ireland showing the Arsenal/Napoli game. Why would TV3 show the better match on their FTA service when they can use it as a carrot for their subsidiary's subscription service. I'm sure the neutrals can get the Arsenal/Napoli game if they really want to watch it.

Don't TV3 just show whatever match ITV have? Not sure they'd have any choice in what they play. Much like STV. They show the ITV match in Scotland, whether there's a Scottish team playing or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ITV are showing Celtic/Barcelona & Sky Sports are showing Arsenal/Napoli in the UK. The Celtic/Barcelona wont be a choice on the red button AFAIK so it suggests there are terms and conditions to showing UCL matches, you can just have any match. TV3 showing Celtic/Barcelona is probably down to Setanta Ireland showing the Arsenal/Napoli game. Why would TV3 show the better match on their FTA service when they can use it as a carrot for their subsidiary's subscription service. I'm sure the neutrals can get the Arsenal/Napoli game if they really want to watch it.

TV3 almost always get the better match. Well I say "better", but I mean more viewers.

I was under the impression that the FTA channels got first choice. So why ITV and TV3 would choose Celtic is what we're pondering. You're right Celtic/Barca is not on the Red Button. And it's quite strange because in so far as I can tell it's the only game for the entire week of UCL that Sky Sports can't show. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ITV not showing the London side in London?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I was under the impression that the FTA channels got first choice. So why ITV and TV3 would choose Celtic is what we're pondering. You're right Celtic/Barca is not on the Red Button. And it's quite strange because in so far as I can tell it's the only game for the entire week of UCL that Sky Sports can't show. :confused:

I think on Tuesdays Sky gets every game except the one chosen by ITV, and on Wednesdays they get all 8?

I think TV3 also get 1st choice on Tuesdays, and then RTE wednesdays in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Anyway back to the match, Draw best Celtic can hope for but you never know after last year, id say 2-1 Barca but hoping 1-0 Celtic

I think this is going to be a long night for us, Barca will have learned from last year and I don't think there's much we change in how we approach the game.

Maybe we can get a goal from a set piece and rely on some heroic defending & goalkeeping but in reality probably Barca to win 3 - 1

The performance against Morton shows that our corners wont be much of a threat this year unless Lennon makes changes to set piece tactics. Mulgrew & Commons on FK's probably our best bet.

Celtic Football Club ‏@celticfc 2m

#Celtic: Forster; Lustig, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; Matthews, Brown, Mulgrew, Samaras; Commons; Stokes (LB)

Celtic Football Club ‏@celticfc 2m

#Celtic subs: Zaluska, Biton, Balde, Rogic, Pukki, Kayal, Forrest. (LB)

Hopefully Matthews has more end product in this match. Izaguirre hopefully has a good game defensively. Probably the best team given the injuries
    FC Barcelona ‏@FCBarcelona_es 1m

El once del Barça en Glasgow: Valdés, Alves, Bartra, Piqué, Adriano, Sergio, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Cesc y Pedro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

BMMachine wrote: »
    napoli versus arsenal or celtic versus barca.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    in a lot of ways, i wish celtic and rangers didnt exist

They dont exist, They liquidated and went out of existence last year!

As for Celtic, Can I ask your reasons why?
    Whatever about RTE showing Celtic, always going to be the case, but I thought that ITV would get more wanting Arsenal-Napoli.

2nd Biggest Club in Britain Vs 2nd Biggest Club in World, with the atmosphere Celtic Park creates meant ITV was always going to show it

The performance against Morton shows that our corners wont be much of a threat this year unless Lennon makes changes to set piece tactics. Mulgrew & Commons on FK's probably our best bet.

Wanyama & Hooper are big losses at set pieces, Wanyama was very strong in the air and Hooper had a knack of getting a touch on anything that fell in the box.

We should still be capable of creating chances against Barca from corners tonight, hopefully we've been doing plenty of work on them in the days leading up to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Without the power and pace of Wanyama I can see the Barca mid-field finding their rhythm early on compared to last seasons stifling performance from Celtic!

No Messi tonight though so Neymar and Pedro better have there finishing boots on! gunna say 1-2 Barca or 1-3 :D

Edit: As a Barca fan it's great to see how Celtic up their game against some of the best in the world, inspirational stuff. To all Celtic can's out there, good luck and enjoy :D

Give it a rest mate, there's other places to discuss that without cluttering up a match thread

BVgjrIHIEAENq6H.jpg:large

Hopefully the 12th man can make an impact

Ledley is a huge loss tonight, more so than Wanyama is.

Barca are far more direct season. Meaning Celtic will have more of the ball than usual and parking the bus is a little bit trickier. Though I'm sure Lennon will be keenly aware of this.

I should also have mentioned Barca fans. Posted edited. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I should also have mentioned Barca fans. Posted edited. :)

Come on, there are more Celtic fans than Arsenal fans in Ireland and there are more neutrals interested in seeing Barcelona than Napoli.

Celtic - Barcelona is the obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Stokes with another big opportunity tonight after getting called up for Ireland.

The team is probably the best team to put out given injuries etc., Mulgrew is a good CM, better than as a LB or LM.

Don't TV3 just show whatever match ITV have? Not sure they'd have any choice in what they play. Much like STV. They show the ITV match in Scotland, whether there's a Scottish team playing or not.

TV3 are not ITV and ITV no longer has any stake in TV3. They can show whichever game they want regardless of what ITV show

TV3 have first pick on Tuesdays. Setanta have second

lertsnim wrote: »
    TV3 are not ITV and ITV no longer has any stake in TV3. They can show whichever game they want regardless of what ITV show

TV3 have first pick on Tuesdays
    . Setanta have second

That's why they picked Celtic v Barcelona.

They picked the same game. That's all. Do ITV secretly own TV3 now? If you know something then do please share it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Hopefully a good game is in order. :)

Here we go, fingers crossed

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

As for Celtic, Can I ask your reasons why?

because both clubs are absolutely poisonous to the rest of scotland, they breed atmospheres of hate and exclusion, they are a rallying point for some of the worst people in 3 countries (ireland, northern ireland and scotland) and the culture of both clubs is something i have a lot of problems liking.
    im half scottish and am over there quite a lot. ive never once heard anything positive about either club, its more often the nuisance they cause to normal people and the intimidation that their fans cause. this isn't just in glasgow, its in every urban area i've been to. so yeah, i wish i could blink and both clubs would disappear

For a minute at the start I thought we weren't gonna get the ball at all, Barca are scary with the way they can keep the ball at times. Settled into it now.

Good pass from Stokes to set up Samaras for the first opportunity of the game.

samaras wasting possession too much

samaras wasting possession too much

To be expected with the role he's being asked to play.

Need to cut out the stupid fouls at set pieces

• Advertisement

I wish we had this ref v Juve last season for those set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Wow 3 pages in and already someones bitching about Celtic/Rangers rivalry? Whats this match got to do with Rangers anyway?

I'm watching this instead of Arsenal/Napoli so expect this to be a borefest and Arsenal/Napoli to be a scorefest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

because both clubs are absolutely poisonous to the rest of scotland, they breed atmospheres of hate and exclusion, they are a rallying point for some of the worst people in 3 countries (ireland, northern ireland and scotland) and the culture of both clubs is something i have a lot of problems liking.
    im half scottish and am over there quite a lot. ive never once heard anything positive about either club, its more often the nuisance they cause to normal people and the intimidation that their fans cause. this isn't just in glasgow, its in every urban area i've been to. so yeah, i wish i could blink and both clubs would disappear

Do football mate.No time here for party political broadcasts.

RoryMac wrote: »
    To be expected with the role he's being asked to play.

Need to cut out the stupid fouls at set pieces

even for the role he's asked to play, its abit too much for me

Half Scottish and half deluded!

• Advertisement

even for the role he's asked to play, its abit too much for me

I agree he needs to release the ball quicker when he has options but a lot of times the only option is to try beat half the Barca defence

Samaras is often isolated. He's playing up front, although usually veers towards the left, with Stokes and Commons playing behind him.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Half Scottish and half deluded!

And half assed:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic struggling to get the ball out of their half, understandable really given the defending they are having to do. Think Sammy is doing as well as can be expected tbh, there's no support open to him when he has the ball.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lennonist wrote: »
    And half assed:pac:

But full of shyte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

And as I said, Arsenal 2-0 against Napoli, think I'll switch channel....

Not sure about the situation up front, not getting the best out of Samaras if he doesn't play wide left. Is Stokes and Commons kind of playing the same role?

PauloMN wrote: »
    But full of shyte!

Not half:pac:

Doff wrote: »
    And as I said, Arsenal 2-0 against Napoli, think I'll switch channel....

im delighted for you

Lennonist wrote: »
    Not sure about the situation up front, not getting the best out of Samaras if he doesn't play wide left. Is Stokes and Commons kind of playing the same role?

Happens regularly enough when the 3 play together, all a bit too similar. Not sure what the point of playing Stokes if he's not up front, be better off with Forrest or Boerrigter

• Advertisement
Advertisement