Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Vs Barcelona TV3 & ITV1 19:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

PauloMN wrote: »
    Assuming we do both Milan and Ajax at home, and take something from Ajax away? I think we're game on for 4th tbh!

Quite a big assumption there, we're playing for 3rd now, need to beat Ajax at home and take it from there. I hope Lennon plays to win that game rather than avoid defeat.

I get the impression Lennon doesn't have much confidence in the current squad but for me we still have decent strength especially when guys like Ledley & Kayal are back fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't believe anyone thinks Brown didn't deserve the red, he changed direction to kick out at a player. Irrelevant whether it was a slight touch, that he didn't hurt Neymar, or that Neymar is a great actor.

Brown kicked out at a player, end of. Ref got it spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Assuming we do both Milan and Ajax at home, and take something from Ajax away? I think we're game on for 4th tbh!

Back to back games v Ajax up next. I think we can get 3rd tbh, outside chance of 2nd still there.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Quite a big assumption there, we're playing for 3rd now, need to beat Ajax at home and take it from there. I hope Lennon plays to win that game rather than avoid defeat.

I get the impression Lennon doesn't have much confidence in the current squad but for me we still have decent strength especially when guys like Ledley & Kayal are back fit.

I think he's unhappy with the striker options at his disposal. He picked Stokes tonight but played him behind Samaras in the first half. Stokes did what he was told to, but we looked confused up front with Stokes and Commons playing similar roles behind Samaras, and Samaras not playing in his best position out left.

Celtic have to beat Ajax next game, no excuses.

Will Brown be suspended for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Brown got a straight red, he will miss 3 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lennonist wrote: »
    Back to back games v Ajax up next. I think we can get 3rd tbh, outside chance of 2nd still there.

3rd would be a miracle now I reckon. 4th is very likely. We will not get 6 points v Ajax. 4 would be great, but I can't even see that. We've not got goals in this squad at the moment, the only glimmer of hope right now seems to be Pukki.

Lenny needs to give those players a good kick up the hole tonight. AC Milan were crap and we should have taken at least a point there. Tonight we were good for a point, esp. had Brown not got himself sent off. Not good enough that we can't get anything from teams when we have every opportunity to do so i.e. a poor Milan side missing 6 or 7 first teamers, and Barca at home minus Messi.

Ambrose gives me the Caldwells in Europe.

3rd would be a miracle now I reckon. 4th is very likely. We will not get 6 points v Ajax. 4 would be great, but I can't even see that. We've not got goals in this squad at the moment, the only glimmer of hope right now seems to be Pukki.

Lenny needs to give those players a good kick up the hole tonight. AC Milan were crap and we should have taken at least a point there. Tonight we were good for a point, esp. had Brown not got himself sent off. Not good enough that we can't get anything from teams when we have every opportunity to do so i.e. a poor Milan side missing 6 or 7 first teamers, and Barca at home minus Messi.

Ambrose gives me the Caldwells in Europe.

Just fckin bate Ajax for 3rd, head to head, and see what happens with Milan. He has no CL standard striker, sure we know that, he wasn't backed properly by the board.

Just fckin bate Ajax for 3rd, head to head, and see what happens with Milan. He has no CL standard striker, sure we know that, he wasn't backed properly by the board.

I agree with the first part but on the second I'd say trying to tempt a quality striker to the SPL is as likely as tempting him to become a kamikaze pilot! We need to chance our arm on a few good finishers from lower leagues in the hope we can develop them into a decent striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every chance Celtic could come away with 0 from 6

Celtic are never going to buy a proven UCL striker, Celtic are never going to attract a proven UCL striker to the SPL. The best the Celtic can hope to achieve to maybe find a player with the potential to be a UCL standard striker and develop them to that standard. Gary Hooper was the closest thing to that in years and we couldnt hold onto him.

In hindsight, would anyone have held onto Hooper for his final year of his contract and gamble or would you still take the £5m and the results we are likely to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Dempsey wrote: »
    In hindsight, would anyone have held onto Hooper for his final year of his contract and gamble or would you still take the £5m and the results we are likely to get?

We should have sold him to Norwich for £7m in the January window before the Juventus tie tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

909 passes and 79% possesion, both obscene amounts and can only beat a 10 man celtic 1-0, no disrespects to them. Shows enough that this way of playing football isint all that.

Every chance Celtic could come away with 0 from 6

Unlikely, we're as good as Ajax and unless we really under-perform in those games we'll get something. I still fancy us to get 3rd place
    Celtic are never going to buy a proven UCL striker, Celtic are never going to attract a proven UCL striker to the SPL. The best the Celtic can hope to achieve to maybe find a player with the potential to be a UCL standard striker and develop them to that standard. Gary Hooper was the closest thing to that in years and we couldnt hold onto him.

I would have held onto Hooper but I think there was no chance of keeping him once he made his mind up to leave. His workrate wasn't great but the guy knew where the goal was

klose wrote: »
    909 passes and 79% possesion, both obscene amounts and can only beat a 10 man celtic 1-0, no disrespects to them. Shows enough that this way of playing football isint all that.

The first 5 mins of the game summed them up, happy to pass the ball and frustrate Celtic but achieved absolutely nothing. They're quite a negative team

Barcelona's style of play certainly isnt without its faults and Lionel Messi hides alot of them. Celtic let Barcelona pass the ball to death around their own backline and Barcelona were content doing that for long spells of the game.

Before their goal and whilst down to 10 men, Barcelona had only really threatened the Celtic goal once and Celtic had created 2 of the best chances of the game.

I think we could have spent £5 million on a striker, in addition to what we spent this summer, given our recent financial returns. This is Celtic's 2nd year on the trot in the CL.

I take it that the club intends to be in the CL year in year out, although I heard Pete Lawwel's comments that we budget for Europa League participation recently. The figures wouldn't stack up btw if we were playing Europa League pre New Year in a given season.

Still if Celtic keep making it to the CL Group Stages, that would make Celtic a regular CL outfit, would it not. It gets to a point if we keep qualifying where Celtic have to operate like a regular CL team. Time to step up to the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah, and what's strange is in La Liga they haven't been done that in some games and got criticed. They 49% possession in one game and won that 4-0 even though they set a record number for long range passes too. (Barca recent record, not an official record :p)

Honestly I've only seen bits of the game now, skimmed through it. It looks like they would have been content with the draw.

I think we could have spent £5 million on a striker, in addition to what we spent this summer, given our recent financial returns. This is Celtic's 2nd year on the trot in the CL.

I take it that the club intends to be in the CL year in year out, although I heard Pete Lawwel's comments that we budget for Europa League participation recently. The figures wouldn't stack up btw if we were playing Europa League pre New Year in a given season.

Still if Celtic keep making it to the CL Group Stages, that would make Celtic a regular CL outfit, would it not. It gets to a point if we keep qualifying where Celtic have to operate like a regular CL team. Time to step up to the plate.

I don't think paying £5m on a striker is an issue the issue is smashing our wage budget to attract a decent player. In order to move above paying 25k - 30k a week in wages we need to be reaching the CL 3 or 4 years in a row. It's a slow burner, I agree we haven't done enough to strengthen this summer but we're walking a tightrope in terms of our finances. Signing a player on 30k a week this summer would have had Brown, Samara, Ledley and more knocking the door down to get similar and we just can't afford that... yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think they proved tonight just how much they rely on Messi.

But if they would take more shots from outside the box. Many times tonight a player got the ball central about 25 yards out and passed to the wing instead of having a shot. They overdo it.

I don't think paying £5m on a striker is an issue the issue is smashing our wage budget to attract a decent player. In order to move above paying 25k - 30k a week in wages we need to be reaching the CL 3 or 4 years in a row. It's a slow burner, I agree we haven't done enough to strengthen this summer but we're walking a tightrope in terms of our finances. Signing a player on 30k a week this summer would have had Brown, Samara, Ledley and more knocking the door down to get similar and we just can't afford that... yet!!

Aye. There comes a time to speculate to accumulate. We've been here before, but it's different now, the CL is the only game in town.

Lookin forward to the Ajax double header, beat them for 3rd is bottom line this season. Next season, qualify again and keep progressing.

• Advertisement

Brown got a straight red, he will miss 3 games.

He will miss 3 games, in the CL?

He will miss 3 games, in the CL?

Yea, European Matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Think it's different in the CL. Straight red for violent conduct is a 2 game ban and can be reduced to 1 on appeal.

Last season Zlatan was sent off for doing something silly v. Valencia in the first leg. Got a 2 game ban but only missed 1 on appeal.

Yea, European Matches

I think you're wrong about that.

Yea, European Matches

It's 1 or 2 depending on the refs report from what I can gather. Not 3 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Recorded the game and just saw it all the way through. The two most obvious things were the difference Neymar makes, he adds a complete new dimension to the side, I genuinely can't say enough good things about him, and just how aggressively Barcelona pressed tonight, chasing Celtic players down in packs, this was vintage Barcelona without the ball.

I am delighted, not only as an admirer of Barcelona, but as an admirer of football that Barcelona won tonight, the better team should be rewarded, one team tried to play football, the others were content without kicking the ball and too content to kick Barcelona players.

A few positive mentions for Fabregas, not at all surprised he scored, for me he has been the best player in any major league so far this season. Alexis Sanchez continues his development into a Barcelona player, he's looked quietly impressive this season. Busquets is with another unspectacular but brilliant performance in midfield. Marc Bartra looks far more ready for first team football this time around and finally Victor Valdes, that diving save was justca other one for him to add to his growing highlight reel of frankly unbelievable saves, I can't think of a better goalkeeper right now than the Barcelona number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't believe anyone thinks Brown didn't deserve the red, he changed direction to kick out at a player. Irrelevant whether it was a slight touch, that he didn't hurt Neymar, or that Neymar is a great actor.

Brown kicked out at a player, end of. Ref got it spot on.

As much as Brown was braindead for kicking out, as extremely minimal was it was, Neymar is equally shameful for his ridiculous reaction. Just hope it's not another really good player tarnished by stupid ****ing stuff like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They only have to win 0-1 to be fair. This way of football is to control the game, no need to win by 20-0.

dfx- wrote: »
    They only have to win 0-1 to be fair. This way of football is to control the game, no need to win by 20-0.

Having seen the full game it really does strike me as them being happy with a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Yea, European Matches

It's just the two Ajax games he misses, confirmed on STV and Sky earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The first 5 mins of the game summed them up, happy to pass the ball and frustrate Celtic but achieved absolutely nothing. They're quite a negative team

Yes because Celtic were good on the ball, and able to handle the Barcelona pressure when they had it. NOT.

Were Barca supposed to start playing ****e passes, and long balls up Mr no body in the box? A team that can't string 10-20 passes together will always come up short on possession against any team, and Barca were not even that fussed about possession last night. They hadn't got Messi, Xavi was off his game, Masch was out.

If you had been watching Barcelona at all this season you'd know Barca would have loved if Celtic had more of the ball. Tata has them transitioning the ball from defense to attack much faster than Barca have done in recent seasons. They probably would have enjoyed a counter attack or two, but Celtic sat in their defensive shell and showed Barca too much respect. But again, Celtic were largely ****e on the ball last night..

I concede Barca are not everyone's cup of tea but come on that post above just reeks of bitter :p

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Yes because Celtic were good on the ball, and able to handle the Barcelona pressure when they had it. NOT.

Were Barca supposed to start playing ****e passes, and long balls up Mr no body in the box? A team that can't string 10-20 passes together will always come up short on possession against any team, and Barca were not even that fussed about possession last night. They hadn't got Messi, Xavi was off his game, Masch was out.

If you had been watching Barcelona at all this season you'd know Barca would have loved if Celtic had more of the ball. Tata has them transitioning the ball from defense to attack much faster than Barca have done in recent seasons. They probably would have enjoyed a counter attack or two, but Celtic sat in their defensive shell and showed Barca too much respect. But again, Celtic were largely ****e on the ball last night..

I concede Barca are not everyone's cup of tea but come on that post above just reeks of bitter :p

I never said nor do I think Barca should start playing long balls etc, it was more an observation that they didn't seem to have any real conviction to either stretch Celtic out wide or try draw them out of defence. They were happy to pass it round 30 yards out and create little.

I know full well how hard it is to break teams down when they pack defence(Celtic face the same in most home games) but it was the lack of attempts at making a break-through that struck me.

Last season Barca created a load of chances in the same circumstances and but for some last ditch tackles and good goalkeeping could have run up a cricket score, I'm not sure the same can be said of last night although there is no denying Barca were far superior.

Perhaps there was a little bitterness in my post last night but I'd see it more a disappointment that as you said Celtic didn't pass the ball better, if they had done they could have caused Barca more problems.

Either way congrats on the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

for me he has been the best player in any major league so far this season.

Aaron Ramsey would like a word with you :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Dont really understand it when people say things like "barsa are boring to watch" "too much possession too many passes" etc. I even heard one of the commentators yesterday say that English team know now how to play barcelona...

If you want to bit Barcelona you need to be very very organized, put a lot of pressure and have ambition and patience. Or hope they are having a bad day.

Celtic tried the same strategy as last year but IMO, first, they lacked the same ambition and second, this doesnt always work! The guy on TV3 sounded surprised Celtic had lost!

Also, the reason why Barcelona can be boring to watch is because the other team parks the bus. I think Celtic played with a 4-4-1-1, 10 defenders and your man Samaras there at the top (who imo did a great job all things considered). If Celtic were playing a team who was playing them the same way they played Barcelona yesterday we will probably wouldnt see the most attractive game either.

Even if Barcelona are doing a great game (and yesterday wasnt the best) you can still play them and win without being so conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Recorded the game and just saw it all the way through. The two most obvious things were the difference Neymar makes, he adds a complete new dimension to the side, I genuinely can't say enough good things about him, and just how aggressively Barcelona pressed tonight, chasing Celtic players down in packs, this was vintage Barcelona without the ball.

I am delighted, not only as an admirer of Barcelona, but as an admirer of football that Barcelona won tonight, the better team should be rewarded, one team tried to play football, the others were content without kicking the ball and too content to kick Barcelona players.

A few positive mentions for Fabregas, not at all surprised he scored, for me he has been the best player in any major league so far this season. Alexis Sanchez continues his development into a Barcelona player, he's looked quietly impressive this season. Busquets is with another unspectacular but brilliant performance in midfield. Marc Bartra looks far more ready for first team football this time around and finally Victor Valdes, that diving save was justca other one for him to add to his growing highlight reel of frankly unbelievable saves, I can't think of a better goalkeeper right now than the Barcelona number 1.

Are you high or just delirious? For somebody who supposedly follows football quite closely, you really don't have a clue about it. Either that or you're just stupidly biased.

• Advertisement

Are you high or just delirious? For somebody who supposedly follows football quite closely, you really don't have a clue about it. Either that or you're just stupidly biased.

I wouldn't say Valdes has been the best in any league. But that's only because I haven't seen all the other leagues. He's been in fantastic form so far this season.

Jernal wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Valdes has been the best in any league. But that's only because I haven't seen all the other leagues. He's been in fantastic form so far this season.

It's 6 games into the new year though. Making a few good saves for a team that has dominated all of their matches doesn't magically turn Valdes, a distinctly average goalkeeper, into the best keeper in the world.

The same way Fabregas doesn't become the best player in the world because he's on form at the start of the season. If AndersonIsGod was an Arsenal fan he'd be saying Ramsey is better than Ronaldo and Ozil is the best player to ever grace the game :rolleyes:

It's 6 games into the new year though. Making a few good saves for a team that has dominated all of their matches doesn't magically turn Valdes, a distinctly average goalkeeper, into the best keeper in the world.

Against Valencia, Sevilla and Rayo they didn't dominate. In all those games and others they won because Valdes made some absolutely incredible saves. Strongly disagree he's an average goalkeeper. Any club would happily take him. The amount of 1 v 1 he's triumphed in for Barca is amazing.

Also being Pedantic Barca have played 7 league games. A two legged super copa final and two CL games. :p

Against Valencia, Sevilla and Rayo they didn't dominate. In all those games and others they won because Valdes made some absolutely incredible saves. Strongly disagree he's an average goalkeeper. Any club would happily take him. The amount of 1 v 1 he's triumphed in for Barca is amazing.

Also being Pedantic Barca have played 7 league games. A two legged super copa final and two CL games. :p

Pedantic is the right word :pac:

Only watched 3 of their league games + the super copa 1st leg.

I disagree that any club would happily take him. He's no better than, if even as good as, the likes of Buffon, Neuer, Weidenfeller, De Gea, Marchetti, Cech, Begovic, Mignolet, Courtois, etc.

Just an average enough keeper on form as far as I'm concerned and they hyperbole nonsense I quoted earlier is silly

Celtic wouldnt even want Valdes, even ignoring his wages. What did Valdes do last night that Forster couldnt do?

• Advertisement

Magnificent passing of the ball. :p

Jking aside (although it's true) Forster definitely seems worthy of a call-up to the English squad.

The same way Fabregas doesn't become the best player in the world because he's on form at the start of the season. If AndersonIsGod was an Arsenal fan he'd be saying Ramsey is better than Ronaldo and Ozil is the best player to ever grace the game :rolleyes:

Why? I clearly stated in the part of my post which you highlighted in your post previous to this you will take note that in my comment about Cesc I clearly used the term "this season" which obviously only takes into account the season thus far. Are you arguing that he hasn't been the best player in Europe so far this season? If so I'd love to see who you are putting forward because Cesc has been playing out of his skin, he's been at the absolute height of his game and now looks every inch the midfielder Barcelona expected him to be when they re-signed him.

The same with Valdes, I also put a time frame on it and again, point to me and show me a goalkeeper who has been better than Valdes so far this season, the La Masia product has been immense in goal for Barcelona, making vital save after save, often quite spectacular saves, 1 on 1 there may be no better goalkeeper, his distribution is so quick this season and his kicking remains a level above his peers, he commands his box, he attacks the ball from set pieces, this is far from an average goalkeeper, in an age of great Spanish goalkeepers, right now, Victor Valdes is the pick of the bunch and if there was any justice the Barcelona number 1 would also be the Spanish number 1 at the World Cup. You, calling me delirious is so ridiculous when in the next comment you call Victory Valdes, an esteemed and highly decorated goalkeeper "average." Who else according to you is average I wonder?

Magnificent passing of the ball. :p

Jking aside (although it's true) Forster definitely seems worthy of a call-up to the English squad.

Forster only had one poor clearance last night and it was on his left foot. I dont remember Valdes making any tbh. His distribution has rapidly improved since joining Celtic. When he first joined, his distribution off his good foot was dodgy enough alot with a few other aspects of his game.

Now you'll see plenty of games where he even takes goal kicks and frees with his left and only kicking with his right from hand for the entire game. At first I thought he his right leg was injured but its common practice now. I'd like to see his kicking stats from each season, it would reflect this.

Forster only had one poor clearance last night and it was on his left foot. I dont remember Valdes making any tbh. His distribution has rapidly improved since joining Celtic. When he first joined, his distribution off his good foot was dodgy enough alot with a few other aspects of his game.

Now you'll see plenty of games where he even takes goal kicks and frees with his left and only kicking with his right from hand for the entire game. At first I thought he his right leg was injured but its common practice now. I'd like to see his kicking stats from each season, it would reflect this.

Ah it's nothing criticising Forster. But Valdes passing game is exceptional at times! Very often attempts on goal occur from a move started by pass by him that takes out the first and sometimes second line of defence. One that sticks to mind is the 2011 UCL semi final against Madrid Pedro scored a goal that started from a magnificent pass from Valdes that negated Madrid's pressing.
    Gary Neville, irrc, did a pretty decent feature on it.

Why? I clearly stated in the part of my post which you highlighted in your post previous to this you will take note that in my comment about Cesc I clearly used the term "this season" which obviously only takes into account the season thus far. Are you arguing that he hasn't been the best player in Europe so far this season? If so I'd love to see who you are putting forward because Cesc has been playing out of his skin, he's been at the absolute height of his game and now looks every inch the midfielder Barcelona expected him to be when they re-signed him.

The same with Valdes, I also put a time frame on it and again, point to me and show me a goalkeeper who has been better than Valdes so far this season, the La Masia product has been immense in goal for Barcelona, making vital save after save, often quite spectacular saves, 1 on 1 there may be no better goalkeeper, his distribution is so quick this season and his kicking remains a level above his peers, he commands his box, he attacks the ball from set pieces, this is far from an average goalkeeper, in an age of great Spanish goalkeepers, right now, Victor Valdes is the pick of the bunch and if there was any justice the Barcelona number 1 would also be the Spanish number 1 at the World Cup. You, calling me delirious is so ridiculous when in the next comment you call Victory Valdes, an esteemed and highly decorated goalkeeper "average."

How about Mesut Ozil? Aaron Ramsey? Yaya Toure?

Having an argument about who the best player in Europe "so far this season" is just stupid anyway. Sure some teams have only played 6 games.

Valdes playing well in a few games, after being average for years, does not suddenly make him better than someone like Neuer. If a very good goalkeeper did actually play for Barcelona your head would probably explode.
    Who else according to you is average I wonder?
    Danny Welbeck

Oh, a Barcelona player? ..... Pique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I'd say that a goalkeeper who has won the Zamora price 5 times in the last 7 yearsa (knowing barcelonas defense is not impenetrable) and been given the goal keeper of the year award by ESM is hardly average.

And yes, barcelona sometimes dominates most of the game but that makes it even harder as he can afford losing his concentration.

However, you considered average goalkeepers such as Buffon, Neuer, Cech... so now I wonder who you'd consider outstanding
    I disagree that any club would happily take him. He's no better than, if even as good as, the likes of Buffon, Neuer, Weidenfeller, De Gea, Marchetti, Cech, Begovic, Mignolet, Courtois, etc.

Bohrio wrote: »
    I'd say that a goalkeeper who has won the Zamora price 5 times in the last 7 yearsa (knowing barcelonas defense is not impenetrable) and been given the goal keeper of the year award by ESM is hardly average.

And yes, barcelona sometimes dominates most of the game but that makes it even harder as he can afford losing his concentration.

However, you considered average goalkeepers such as Buffon, Neuer, Cech... so now I wonder who you'd consider outstanding

I meant that Valdes isn't near as good as them but phrased it poorly.

Have seen plenty of Valdes, I just don't rate him highly at all and fail to see how others do

How about Mesut Ozil? Aaron Ramsey? Yaya Toure?

Having an argument about who the best player in Europe "so far this season" is just stupid anyway. Sure some teams have only played 6 games.

Valdes playing well in a few games, after being average for years, does not suddenly make him better than someone like Neuer. If a very good goalkeeper did actually play for Barcelona your head would probably explode.

Danny Welbeck

Oh, a Barcelona player? ..... Pique

I'm pretty sure we've debated the merits of certain Barcelona players on this forum before, each debate ends up as ridiculously as the last. I am sorry but I simply can't take that post seriously. You've offered up 3 players, all Premier League players no less, who have equaled the level of Cesc Fabregas this season.

Then to top off the absurdity of the message you haphazardly throw in the line "Valdes playing well in a few games, after being average for years" anyone whose watched even a small percentage of Barcelona games knows how laughable such a comment is. Then you compound it by calling Pique average, World Cup, Champions League and European Championship winner Gerard Pique. I can only guess that you are either trolling, entirely oblivious or simply woefully ill-informed, I'm just not sure which of the three it is and thus this debate has entered the inevitable level of ridiculousness that so often occurs when you discuss Barcelona or Barcelona players.

I'm pretty sure we've debated the merits of certain Barcelona players on this forum before, each debate ends up as ridiculously as the last. I am sorry but I simply can't take that post seriously. You've offered up 3 players, all Premier League players no less, who have equaled the level of Cesc Fabregas this season.

Then to top off the absurdity of the message you haphazardly throw in the line "Valdes playing well in a few games, after being average for years" anyone whose watched even a small percentage of Barcelona games knows how laughable such a comment is. Then you compound it by calling Pique average, World Cup, Champions League and European Championship winner Gerard Pique. I can only guess that you are either trolling, entirely oblivious or simply woefully ill-informed, I'm just not sure which of the three it is and thus this debate has entered the inevitable level of ridiculousness that so often occurs when you discuss Barcelona or Barcelona players.

Ironically I was given an infraction in June for a comment I wrote to you because "Accusing someone of trolling is against the charter"

In all seriousness, I believe Arturo Vidal has been unquestionably the best player in European football since the new season began. Been in absolutely scintillating form and has been top class for years, but remains seriously underrated.

He is up there with the best of the best midfielders in world football at the minute and this isn't a purple patch like Ramsey, he's been in great form for 2 years. I doubt you watch enough Serie A football to know this though, which isn't a jab, but anyone who does will tell you how great he has been.

So for me, Fabregas has been excellent, as has Ozil and Ramsey but Vidal has been fantastic and has been this for a long time.

Also, being a part of the team that won these trophies doesn't make him world class. He's good but he is far from great. Valdes is good enough and does the job well but would struggle more with a weaker team and would most likely be shown up, not that he is held in as high regard as you think anyway. Most people know he isn't all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Gerard Pique is average

• Advertisement
Advertisement