Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge Mode

Options
  • 01-10-2013 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Vodafone V-DSL router connecting to an apple AirPort Extreme. I'm having an issue with Double NAT.

Does anyone have any experience with putting the Vodafone router into bridge type mode? I tried disabling DHCP and NAT but struggled because the Apple router couldn't obtain an IP.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you have admin access to the modem?

You need to plug the modem into a LAN port (not WAN) on the airport router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Yes I have full rights to both components.

I have it in the WAN port, didn't know it needed to go to the LAN. Thanks!

So does this mean that the airport router will not have a public IP? Is this ok?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Basically the vodafone router is the modem and the airport is a switch.

Make sure you disable DHCP etc on the airport. DHCP, firewall etc come from the vodafone router.

Is there anything specifically you want the airport to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You could switch the VF modem into bridge mode, and connect the Airport to one of the LAN ports. Avoids double NAT and allows you to use all the routing capabilities of the Airport.

I am still confused.

What I want is for the airport to handle routing, DHCP and NAT. So the Vodafone box is just a modem.

There is no obvious bridge mode option on the Vodafone config. Am incorrect is assuming that disabling NAT and DHCP is the same?

Also, do I connect LAN to LAN port between the two or LAN (Vodafone) to WAN (airport).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

There is no obvious bridge mode option on the Vodafone config.
    Here's a tut - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006124
    Am incorrect is assuming that disabling NAT and DHCP is the same?
    Not the same.
    Also, do I connect LAN to LAN port between the two or LAN (Vodafone) to WAN (airport).

LAN on VF modem to WAN on Airport

Thanks roast!

Advertisement