Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPI REFUND'S

Options
  • 01-10-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME HAVE RECIEVED AN OFFER FROM PTSB QUITE A NICE SOME AS I'M CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED THIS WOULD GO A LONG WAY TO PAYING BILL'S IT SAID AT BOTTOM OF LETTER IF YOU ARE IN ARREAR'S WITH US THIS WILL BE PUT TOWARD'S THAT I'M CURRENTLY IN ARREAR'S WITH MY MORTGAGE WHICH IS IN JOINT NAMES THE REFUND WAS BASED ON A PERSONAL LOAN TAKEN OUT BY MYSELF WILL THIS REFUND BE PUT AGAINST THIS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest you'd be better off asking them. Phone them, as they have all the details while you have just given us a brief synopsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 florindo1973

Hey guys
    just got a cheque for 1064 euro today on the post for mis sold PPI with Genworth insurance , thats for the mortgage payment protection, actually i got shocked when i opened the envelope. so i think the banks are tacking very seriously that matter, sorry for my writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

saoirse18 wrote: »
    CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME HAVE RECIEVED AN OFFER FROM PTSB QUITE A NICE SOME AS I'M CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED THIS WOULD GO A LONG WAY TO PAYING BILL'S IT SAID AT BOTTOM OF LETTER IF YOU ARE IN ARREAR'S WITH US THIS WILL BE PUT TOWARD'S THAT I'M CURRENTLY IN ARREAR'S WITH MY MORTGAGE WHICH IS IN JOINT NAMES THE REFUND WAS BASED ON A PERSONAL LOAN TAKEN OUT BY MYSELF WILL THIS REFUND BE PUT AGAINST THIS

I think it means if you are in arrears with the loan or credit card on which the PPi was paid. I might be wrong, but that is how I understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 saoirse18

Here's hoping thank's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

saoirse18 wrote: »
    Here's hoping thank's

do ring the PPi helpline number on the letter and have them clarify it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I got a letter from BOI telling me I am getting a sum back. Said by EFT or if you don't have an account with them anymore by cheque. Nothing mentioned on the letter about arrears or anything of the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No hope for anyone missold a policy more than 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johntwo

sorry for jumping in saoirse18, but has anyone got ppi back from mnba( I know it is a new company now, avantcard, I think)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

No hope for anyone missold a policy more than 6 years ago.

Why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Why is this?

statute of limitations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Why is this?

Banks are only required to hold information for 6 years but some may have details further back.

PPI was only missold up until about 2009/10 as rules were brought in after that if memory serves.
    A lot of people had it added unbeknownst to them and in some cases it was added and hidden in the repayment plan even though you may have said you didn't want it when offered.

So if any loan or credit card was taken out before 2009 I would be asking my bank regardless even if you think you didn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im waiting 7 mths now for my ppi claim from mbna, they are claiming it wasnt missold even though i was self employed which if you are you shouldnt be sold ppi, i am doing it through one of these crowds who claim they will get your money under a no win no fee basis, its a load of crap tbh im sick of ringing this crowd about it, it seems to be going nowhere

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im waiting 7 mths now for my ppi claim from mbna, they are claiming it wasnt missold even though i was self employed which if you are you shouldnt be sold ppi, i am doing it through one of these crowds who claim they will get your money under a no win no fee basis, its a load of crap tbh im sick of ringing this crowd about it, it seems to be going nowhere

Worst thing you can do is go through one of those crowds cos they percentage they take is obscene and they will most probably mess you about. I know this cos I worked for one of them for a month in hard financial times. Awful job.
    Anyway, you CANNOT claim on PPI if you are self employed so they are talking through their arse.
    I would be on the phone every day to them. Sometimes you just have to be a royal PITA to get what you want.

I worked in the claims company in the UK so I'm not 100% if the rules are the same over here but if MBNA refuse to pay out you should be able to raise your complaint with the Financial Ombudsman (or Irish equivalent).

Be careful though and speak to the claims company and see what the T&Cs are as they may charge you for their 7 months of "work"

shamrock55 wrote: »

Forget this company you are using, you don't need to use them to get a claim, they are a money making racket out for themselves!
    I went to MBNA/Avantcard myself, asked them to look into it, got a 'final response' letter to say it wasn't mis sold and it was up to me to know if it was for me etc! I took it straight to the Finanical Ombudsman who are now doing an investigation. If you got a letter like I got from MBNA, then just do the same, forget using this company. Why pay someone when you can do it for free yourself & with the ombudsman! MBNA don't seem to want to take an ounce of responsiblity for this! You definitely have a case if you were sold it when you are self-employed, it was mis sold, they didn't ask you what your occupation was!
    Conor Pope was taking about this on RTE's Today show this afternoon. It will be on the RTE player by now if you want to watch it (its near the end of the show).
    good luck!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Forget this company you are using, you don't need to use them to get a claim, they are a money making racket out for themselves!
    I went to MBNA/Avantcard myself, asked them to look into it, got a 'final response' letter to say it wasn't mis sold and it was up to me to know if it was for me etc! I took it straight to the Finanical Ombudsman who are now doing an investigation. If you got a letter like I got from MBNA, then just do the same, forget using this company. Why pay someone when you can do it for free yourself & with the ombudsman! MBNA don't seem to want to take an ounce of responsiblity for this! You definitely have a case if you were sold it when you are self-employed, it was mis sold, they didn't ask you what your occupation was!
    Conor Pope was taking about this on RTE's Today show this afternoon. It will be on the RTE player by now if you want to watch it (its near the end of the show).
    good luck!

I would agree with what you've said for the most part BUT if they try to cancel now after the company "managing" that claim for 7 months they could find themself with a hefty bill for the work that has been carried out thus far.
    As I said, get some proper advice and read the T&C's before you cancel.

As an aside, a lot of these companies are dodgy as fook and are not even regulated to look them up, do your research and if you can cancel the claim cancel and go after MBNA yourself. Bearing in mind you can't submit the same claim twice so you may need to raise it to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sasha42

Hi
    Please can someone offer advice.
    My Husband and I took out a Mortgage in 2000 with PTSB. We unwittingly signed up for PPI @ that time.
    I actually only became aware of this insurance in 2009 when i was charged on the double in error for the ppi premium.
    I then investigated the whole area and subsequently cancelled my policy as it didnt seem to make sense us having it.
    My question is.. even though we had been paying the insurance since 2000, which is outside the 6 year statute, we had been paying it up to 2009 when i cancelled policy. Can we make a claim from 2007 to 2009??
    thank you

Sasha42 wrote: »
    Hi
    Please can someone offer advice.
    My Husband and I took out a Mortgage in 2000 with PTSB. We unwittingly signed up for PPI @ that time.
    I actually only became aware of this insurance in 2009 when i was charged on the double in error for the ppi premium.
    I then investigated the whole area and subsequently cancelled my policy as it didnt seem to make sense us having it.
    My question is.. even though we had been paying the insurance since 2000, which is outside the 6 year statute, we had been paying it up to 2009 when i cancelled policy. Can we make a claim from 2007 to 2009??
    thank you

As far as I know if you have proof that you were paying it from 2000 you should be able to claim it from then. Don't go through a claims company. There are many template letters that will give you a good idea of what to send to PTSB to claim yourself but make sure to put the claim in from 2000.
    Make sure to send it registered post and if you haven't heard from them after about 21 days follow up.
    I believe that most banks now have dedicated teams dealing with claims so you should be able to get the details of where to send the letter easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banywany

I got a letter from PTSB yesterday saying I am due a refund on my mortgage PPI dating back to 2008. PTSB referenced previous correspondence in relation to a refund which I never received. I signed up for the PPI when I took out my mortgage in case of redundancy. The premium was reasonable to start off with but increased in price after about 18 months. (The terms of the policy changed around the same too, the waiting period was extended). There were redundancies in my company earlier this year so I made inquires at that time about my policy with the underwriter Genworth Insurance. I was informed by Genworth at that time that my claim should be upheld if I was laid off i.e. my mortgage would be paid for up to 12 months. Thankfully, I wasn’t affected by the redundancies.
    My concern is now that I don’t know why I’m due a refund as I can’t see that I was missold the policy. Unfortunately, I am none the wiser after speaking to an extremely unhelpful guy on the PPI refund "helpline" for PTSB. The guy I spoke to couldn’t explain why I was missold the policy and said in relation to my conversation with Genworth earlier this year that Genworth most have different information to PTSB's information... I would like to keep up my policy as working in the private sector means that there is always the possibility of been made redundant. If I accept the refund my policy will be cancelled and I don’t think I will be able to get a similar policy again. If I don’t accept the refund, my policy will continue but I’m not at all confident that I will be entitled to claim on the policy should I need to. Is anybody else in a similar situation? I’m really disappointed about PTSB's customer service on this matter.

banywany wrote: »
    I got a letter from PTSB yesterday saying I am due a refund on my mortgage PPI dating back to 2008. PTSB referenced previous correspondence in relation to a refund which I never received. I signed up for the PPI when I took out my mortgage in case of redundancy. The premium was reasonable to start off with but increased in price after about 18 months. (The terms of the policy changed around the same too, the waiting period was extended). There were redundancies in my company earlier this year so I made inquires at that time about my policy with the underwriter Genworth Insurance. I was informed by Genworth at that time that my claim should be upheld if I was laid off i.e. my mortgage would be paid for up to 12 months. Thankfully, I wasn’t affected by the redundancies.
    My concern is now that I don’t know why I’m due a refund as I can’t see that I was missold the policy. Unfortunately, I am none the wiser after speaking to an extremely unhelpful guy on the PPI refund "helpline" for PTSB. The guy I spoke to couldn’t explain why I was missold the policy and said in relation to my conversation with Genworth earlier this year that Genworth most have different information to PTSB's information... I would like to keep up my policy as working in the private sector means that there is always the possibility of been made redundant. If I accept the refund my policy will be cancelled and I don’t think I will be able to get a similar policy again. If I don’t accept the refund, my policy will continue but I’m not at all confident that I will be entitled to claim on the policy should I need to. Is anybody else in a similar situation? I’m really disappointed about PTSB's customer service on this matter.

To be honest, I would look to get the refund and also for another policy elsewhere.
    The thing with PPI is that it was so blatently missold that they can't prove in most cases whether it was or wasn't added with or without your knowledge.

Put it this way, when you get a phone, the most expensive insurance is with the same provider. But if you shop around you will most likely get a better deal with lower excess.
    Tends to be the same way with loans etc. So do a bit more digging and research and see what you come up with. The forms are easy to fill in once you have the necessary details.
    DO NOT go through a claims company. Charlatans the lot of them. I know this cos I worked for one for a couple of months. A shark infested scum sucking bottom feeding pit of scum bags you shouldn't ever have to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 banywany

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with Boards so am not too sure where to post stuff :confused:.

banywany wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with Boards so am not too sure where to post stuff :confused:.

You seem to be doing ok, posted a PPI query on a PPI thread in the banking forum. Thats a win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johntwo

Hi banywany, take the money! there is no guarantee that genworth will uphold a claim in the future, I got a mortgage in the same year and took out a PPI, and like yourself, in 2009 if memory serves me right, the premiums jump to ninety euros a month, at which point I cancel the policy. Anyway got a refund on the payments I did make, which arrived at the beginning of October. I think the reason why they are paying out is because of the 'way' they sold it and the conditions set down by the central bank in this area, however I am no expert!!! or just a thought, it might be cheaper for them to pay back all your ppi payments than to cover your mortgage payments for a year!

Advertisement