Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine wimax in North County Dublin

• 01-10-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Just wondering would anybody recommend imagine wimax in North County Dublin.

Particularly the up to 10mb speed and unlimited calls for 19 euro.

What's your experience like and what kinda download speeds do you

Thanks for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I personally would never recommend wimax to anyone for what it's worth. We had a year with them in direct line of site with the mast, we paid for 10mbps but rarely got above 1-2, lots of calls and fobbing us off. Also they throttle the broadband if you hit their cap (which at the time for us was 50gb, probably more now)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Very positive comments so far. :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I personally would never recommend wimax to anyone for what it's worth. We had a year with them in direct line of site with the mast, we paid for 10mbps but rarely got above 1-2, lots of calls and fobbing us off. Also they throttle the broadband if you hit their cap (which at the time for us was 50gb, probably more now)

Hi desperatedan
    Is your experience with them recent enough?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Slightly out of the area asked about, in Ashbourne, and for the last couple of years, been using Wimax here, with no real issues other than occasional slow down that I suspect is congestion on their DNS servers, but the speeds are good, can regularly download at at over 1MB per second reliably for reasonable periods even at peak times, and without transmission errors.

Phone service is also OK, only snag is that if power goes, so does broadband and phone, as the hub is dead, so a mobile is essential for emergency services etc.

Hope that helps

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Slightly out of the area asked about, in Ashbourne, and for the last couple of years, been using Wimax here, with no real issues other than occasional slow down that I suspect is congestion on their DNS servers, but the speeds are good, can regularly download at at over 1MB per second reliably for reasonable periods even at peak times, and without transmission errors.

Phone service is also OK, only snag is that if power goes, so does broadband and phone, as the hub is dead, so a mobile is essential for emergency services etc.

Hope that helps

Steve

I live near Ashbourne myself [by Oldtown]. Ripplecom will be cutting me off anyday now - how far is the mast from you ?

And on a side note - you're in Ashbourne, why on earth are you on wireless when you can surely get eFibre / UPC / upto 70MB ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Ah my experience is from 2011, so afaik not too long after wimax was first rolled out, I'm sure they are much better nowadays about throttling you etc., but I still wouldn't ever use them again :) (We were in Dundalk).

Advertisement