Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Shield - worth all 7 seasons?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just started watching this today - 3 episodes on the train. Looks great! And the end of the pilot episode - wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just started watching this today - 3 episodes on the train. Looks great! And the end of the pilot episode - wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Character spoilered too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Mr E wrote: »
    Character spoilered too.

Too late for me. Hopefully not for others

Season 4 next up for me, Im binging on ths show big time

Glen Close has moved this show up a couple of notches for me. She's excellent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Shield is insanely good, so many 'Holy Sh*t, they did not just do that' moments.

After watching it, I went straight to the next Shaun Ryan thing I could find which was The Unit. Also an excellent show, but gets lost along the way
    and just ends out of the blue because it was canned
    and continuity is a bit off.

Someone mentioned Homicide: Life On The Street earlier in the thread, just want to note that that is one of my favorite cop shows along with The Shield and The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Glen Close has moved this show up a couple of notches for me. She's excellent.

Ah yes, season 4 is excellent (Antwon Mitchell is great too).

Damn I wish I could watch this fresh again. I'm actually quite enjoying reading your updates as you get through it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Shield is insanely good, so many 'Holy Sh*t, they did not just do that' moments.

After watching it, I went straight to the next Shaun Ryan thing I could find which was The Unit. Also an excellent show, but gets lost along the way
    and just ends out of the blue because it was canned
    and continuity is a bit off.

Someone mentioned Homicide: Life On The Street earlier in the thread, just want to note that that is one of my favorite cop shows along with The Shield and The Wire.

I think he is doing sons of anarchy also, a few faces from the shield show up on it and if I remember properly the one niners are in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think he is doing sons of anarchy also, a few faces from the shield show up on it and if I remember properly the one niners are in it.

It was Kurt Sutter, another writer on The Shield who went on to do SOA. He also played the Armenian bad guy in The Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It was Kurt Sutter, another writer on The Shield who went on to do SOA. He also played the Armenian bad guy in The Shield.

Just googled that there turns out he is in SOA aswell:eek:

Thanks for that bit of trivia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Starting watching it a few weeks back,finished it a few hours ago,unbelievable show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

dave1982 wrote: »
    Just googled that there turns out he is in SOA aswell:eek:

Thanks for that bit of trivia

Otto Delaney.

Im upto early Season 5 and, as Id feared, the gang stuff is starting to bore me.

On the upside: Forest Whitaker!

Finished all 7 seasons right upto that great finale.

Phew!

Need to gather my thoughts, so for now I'll just leave these here

22452_paula-garces-gm_l3.jpg

Paula-Garces-2.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=99555&stc=1&d=1354052161

Paula_Garces_%28cropped%29.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnnyjohnjohn

Probably one of the best tv shows out there,Macky one of the best characters ever to grace a tv!!
    for me personally The Shield was a better tv experience than the wire,but thats my opinion!!

Was there a Shield sub forum on Boards at some stage?

Also, while Im digesting the last few episodes, one thing does stand out: did anyone else have their doubts about
    Dutch
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also, while Im digesting the last few episodes, one thing does stand out: did anyone else have their doubts about
    Dutch
    ?

I hope you mean this as I can't remember when it happened.. read at your own risk though :)
    You talking about the cat-strangling bit? Yeah, that was a bit of a WTF moment alright! It didn't go anywhere so either the writers changed their minds, or maybe they got pressure from some animal rights brigade or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great show.Season 5 is my favourite season.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Unreal show. Only show that tops the shield for me is the sopranos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Great show, and as series finales go I don't think I've seen a better one. Criminally under watched.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Amazing show - my personal favorite of all time. As far as series finales go it was the créme de la créme... until a certain other show finished recently. Anyone finishing up on The Shield should give Sons of Anarchy a whirl next, another amazing show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dutch
    ?
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I hope you mean this as I can't remember when it happened.. read at your own risk though :)
    You talking about the cat-strangling bit? Yeah, that was a bit of a WTF moment alright! It didn't go anywhere so either the writers changed their minds, or maybe they got pressure from some animal rights brigade or something?
    They had planned to possibly turn him into one of the serial killers he was constantly chasing. The cat strangling was part of the lead up to that but they dropped the idea in the end as too far fetched.

Besides, there was enough bad guys already in the show. It needed one or two white knights.

Kirby wrote: »
    They had planned to possibly turn him into one of the serial killers he was constantly chasing. The cat strangling was part of the lead up to that but they dropped the idea in the end as too far fetched.

Besides, there was enough bad guys already in the show. It needed one or two white knights.

I think it'd have been an even better show if they had have done that with the character.

And there are those who think they *did* do it and the clues are there for us to see.

Like this blog for example, some very interesting theories forwarded, Im going to spoiler the website as the URL is a spoiler in itself;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I read that. It's interesting but I don't buy it. There is a fair few leaps of logic in the article.

Besides, the creators came out and said they dropped the idea. They would have confirmed or at least hinted to the Dutch theory.....especially years after the show. And I always thought him adopting that cat later on was part of his redemption for killing the stray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Re the cat bit. I thought he did that to gain some understanding of what it is like to kill someone. Wasn't he just after interviewing some serial killer who had said something about the glory of seeing the lights go out for the last time or something equally sinister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

gimmick wrote: »
    Re the cat bit. I thought he did that to gain some understanding of what it is like to kill someone. Wasn't he just after interviewing some serial killer who had said something about the glory of seeing the lights go out for the last time or something equally sinister?

I thought the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

frag420 wrote: »
    I thought the same

I think the same

and
    that he felt appalled and knew he wasn't like the psychos

• Advertisement

Its now on Irish Netflix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Its now on Irish Netflix :)

Oh man, just the excuse to watch it all again....all except the very last episode.....can't watch that again ever.

"Family meeting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gonna watch this again on Netflix so. A few years since I watched the box sets. Probably in my top 3 TV shows.

The last scene of the Shield, I will never forget. Never has silence and expression been so powerful on TV as watching Vic Mackay for that couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

adox wrote: »
    Gonna watch this again on Netflix so. A few years since I watched the box sets. Probably in my top 3 TV shows.
    Any reasons why the edges are cut off on netflix kinda of annoying tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

It's an old show. Widescreen 16:9 didn't exist back then. Everything was 4:3 because that's what the TV's were shaped like. You wont notice it after a while.

Advertisement