Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 bit software

Options
  • 01-10-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi Does anyone know were I can buy a laptop/Computer running windows 7 or 8 but 32Bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You'll find it very difficult to find a new system with 32 bit windows on it. You could always buy a system with 64 bit windows, wipe it, then install the 32 bit version.

I suppose the question is why would you want it? Unless you're running a load of 16 bit programs, 64 bit windows will do everything you need, including running 32 bit programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

windows 8 is 64 bit only and it's difficult to get win 7 in 32 bit.
    Er, but why wouldnt you want to use 64 bit? pretty much every 32 bit program will run on 64 bit.
    Only issue is that some 32 bit drivers wont work on 64 bit systems, but they would have to be very old for very unusual hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Cheers maki I need it to run software that wont install on a 64 bit version and I cannot get an updated version of the software.Thanks for the idea of wiping it and installing a 32 bit version.But can you buy a windows 32 bit version anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Skatedude wrote: »
    windows 8 is 64 bit only and it's difficult to get win 7 in 32 bit.
    Er, but why wouldnt you want to use 64 bit? pretty much every 32 bit program will run on 64 bit.
    Only issue is that some 32 bit drivers wont work on 64 bit systems, but they would have to be very old for very unusual hardware

I have both 32 and 64 bit version of Windows 8. If you need to run legacy 16 bit applications (for whatever reason???) you need a 32 bit version.

/Edit: too slow!

D.

At the moment the software is running on a machine with windows 98. I need to swap out the computer as it is falling apart but need a 32 bit version of any windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Virtual machines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The Windows 8 Pro Upgrade provides both a 32 and 64 bit DVD and the license key is the same for both.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-Upgrade-Edition-Vista/dp/B008GRKGXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+8
    Stg £60.

(Sorry but I'm not going to look for the versions of windows that are eligible for upgrade as trying to crawl through the garbage that is Microsoft EULAs and licensing invariably leads to bloodshot eyes and a foul mood. )

Thanks Ressem.

Advertisement