Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Councillor hopeful for camper van bye laws

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

This article is on Ocean fm radio web site today.

He probably wants us to stay in his hotels in Bundoran and Letterkenny

A Donegal County Councillor is hopeful bye laws will be implemented in the near future to deal with camper vans taking up prime parking spaces in car parks across Co. Donegal.
    The issue was discussed at yesterday's meeting of Donegal County Council by Fianna Fail Councillor Sean McEniff.
    The county engineer briefed members on a resume of by-laws in connection to public car parks at the meeting following the issue making the headlines recently when a number of car parks were taken over by camper vans over the Summer period
    Councillor McEniff says the influx of camper vans occupying spaces in car parks is not acceptable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Cllr. McEniff is no stranger to picking on minority groups it seems.

One of his more recent rants against Travellers is said by some to have resulted in the burning of a house promised to a Traveller family.
    http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/group_to_protest_outside_cllr_mceniffs_hotel

Better stay away from Donegal until his present rant blows over ;)

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-councillor-sean-mceniff-traveller-comments-758655-Jan2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Des32 wrote: »
    This article is on Ocean fm radio web site today.

He probably wants us to stay in his hotels in Bundoran and Letterkenny

A Donegal County Councillor is hopeful bye laws will be implemented in the near future to deal with camper vans taking up prime parking spaces in car parks across Co. Donegal.
    The issue was discussed at yesterday's meeting of Donegal County Council by Fianna Fail Councillor Sean McEniff.
    The county engineer briefed members on a resume of by-laws in connection to public car parks at the meeting following the issue making the headlines recently when a number of car parks were taken over by camper vans over the Summer period
    Councillor McEniff says the influx of camper vans occupying spaces in car parks is not acceptable.
    In that case, on every road leading into Co Donegal, just put up a notice:
    CAMPER VANS NOT WELCOME IN DONEGAL -
    PLEASE TAKE YOUR CUSTOM ELSEWHERE

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

odds_on wrote: »
    In that case, on every road leading into Co Donegal, just put up a notice:
    CAMPER VANS NOT WELCOME IN DONEGAL -
    PLEASE TAKE YOUR CUSTOM ELSEWHERE

That would be a real shame if Mr McEniff gets his selfish , singleminded way.
    Donegal is a beautiful county to visit , its somewhere we happily recommend to our customers on a regular basis.
    Unfortunately hoteliers are a very influential group in political life as well as inside of Tourism Ireland .
    The hoteliers may not make any money from us campervanners but several other businesses in the area will.
    In fact , Id imagine a family on a campervan holiday will spend more money in the local community than a family staying in a hotel.
    In most hotels now there is no reason to leave the hotel if you wish . You got your food , beer , leisure centre , entertainment . This way the hotelier gets every penny that you have to spend.
    Campervanners need campsites , diesel , groceries , restaurants , bars , entertainment etc. Our money is spread throughout several business in the area . We dont just line the pockets of 1 greedy councillor / hotelier in any area we visit.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

It would fit McEniff better to organise proper parking at his own hotels and not to have people parking on public footpaths and green areas when there are functions on in his hotel(s). The green areas around the Pole star roundabout always left with wheel marks after concerts or large functions in the Mount Errigle hotel. Who else would get away with it? Just a me me me me person!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

.:mad:

Donegal County Cllr says scores of campervans not welcome in County

03 Oct 2013
    by news

Seanmceniff.jpgA Donegal County Cllr has called for legislation to be brought in to prevent large numbers of camper vans from taking up prime parking locations around the county.
    Cllr Sean McEniff made the calls at this weeks Council meeting.
    He said these vans park in public carparks and leave “a bloody mess behind them”.
    The Fianna Fail Cllr said these are tourists that the county does not need as far as he is concerned:

Talk about tarring everyone with the same brush.

I am in my fifth year of motor caravanning and anywhere I go whether for a weekend or a longer holiday I leave it as clean as when I arrived.

I spend my money in local shops and petrol stations and restaurants as well as tourist attractions even In Bundoran.

He should use his energy trying to provide proper facilities to cater for the large number of people who holiday in motorhomes in Donegal like you can find in almost every town in France.
    They know how to make you welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

"Irish Politician uses his position purely to serve own agenda and spout bigotry", no news here...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

I have requested an interview on highland radio with councillor mc eniff to talk about this but have heard nothing from either

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

I have requested an interview on highland radio with councillor mc eniff to talk about this but have heard nothing from either

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

dorts... where do Highland Radio hold most of their big concerts????????:eek:;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Plenty of hotel bars and restaurants do extremely well from Motorhomers- the Four Seasons in Carlingford being an obvious example. We've parked there several times (always letting the hotel know), and always meet at least 4-5 other campers parked overnight- most of whom we meet again in the hotel bar and restaurant, and around the town over the course of a weekend.

We're not all self sufficient skin flints who leave our rubbish behind. Most of us buy meals, drinks and supplies locally, especially when we're NOT staying in a campsite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement