Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling in sick

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, need a little advice. I've been out sick for just over a week and just got my 2nd sick certificate today for another week. On sending this today, and last week, to my manager, they informed me I still need to call the sick line each morning before my shift. Does this seem right? I assumed the purpose of a sick cert was to inform them I won't be working until the end of the cert, yet I'm expected to be up very early each morning to call in sick!

Is this normal practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No thats really unusual, the sick line we have is usually only for the first incident of unplanned absence after that you deal with your manager / HR directly.

What does the 'unplanned absence policy' your signed or handbook say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've only seen this tactic taken with a person who was previously caught ringing in sick while off in spain on a little break..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

What in God's name is a sick line? Do you not just ring your manager?

Anyway, as the above poster has said, I've only ever seen this required of someone who's been known for absenteeism in the past. If this is the case with you, then regardless of whether you're genuinely ill this time or not, you're going to have to just grin and bear it. I don't really see what the big deal is, anyway. You wake up an hour before your start time, you ring in, you fall back asleep. It's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Are they paying your salary while you are out sick ? as they are not required to do this.

If they are and they have condtions to meet so that they pay your salary then I would just suck this up.

It could be no harm as at least your sleep patterns will stay somewhat inline with what they will need to be when you return to work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honey-ec wrote: »
    What in God's name is a sick line? Do you not just ring your manager?
    Could be a 24/7 rotating shifts or similar that means "your" manager is not always there (or your calling before your shift) and hence you got one phone number for everyone to call in to and the on duty manager answers instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nody wrote: »
    Could be a 24/7 rotating shifts or similar that means "your" manager is not always there (or your calling before your shift) and hence you got one phone number for everyone to call in to and the on duty manager answers instead.

Never thought of shiftwork alright.

Policy anywhere I've ever worked has been a phone call to your manager's mobile at least an hour before you're due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Thanks for all the replies. I actually work from home for a global company, so have to call a number set up exclusively for calling in sick.
    I'm not paid a salary, just paid for hours worked. My issue with getting up early to call in sick is that the medication I am on leaves me conked asleep for quite a long time, often 11-12 hours, so on producing the sick cert I don't see why I need to call in to let them know every day I won't be working, as I've already let them know via the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you call in late the day before: explain to them that you're still on a cert for tomorrow, and that the medication the doctor prescribed will make you sleep for the next 10 hours past the calling-in time? I know places where it won't work, but it will in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublinlassie

I presume this is amazon your working for ?

Advertisement