Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do refuse companies take mattresses?

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just got a new mattress delivered, short of driving to Ballyogan any suggestions go getting rid of old one? It's super-king size so getting in car will be a challenge.
    Do Refuse companies take them? We're with greenstar.

It's hardly a 'freecycle' item- do people go for 2nd hand mattresses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Go over to Ambiance at Blacklion Centre. They take in mattresses at the yard of their shop. Usually they take in from customers who buy there.
    Ask and you may get permission to leave your mattress there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The perennial problem how to get rid of a mattress! Every skip in the country has one. I doubt if any supplier will take it, if you did not purchase from them. However I could be wrong,
    I don't think anybody recycles mattresses anymore.
    The regular refuse collectors would not take it unless you broke it down and disposed of it by in sections over a few collections i.e. filling the bin each time.
    I would think your only options are Ballyogan or a friendly neighbours skip. Let's know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Cerco wrote: »
    or a friendly neighbours skip
    decent suggestion, I'll have a scout around the estate.

*though looking at some other threads on here, maybe I'll just dump it on the dual carriageway beside the estate; seeing as I seem to be already paying for its disposal!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

who delivered your new mattress? When we bought our new bed they gave us the name of a man with a van who would take the old one away for money (might have been 20 or 30 quid).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

decent suggestion, I'll have a scout around the estate.

*though looking at some other threads on here, maybe I'll just dump it on the dual carriageway beside the estate; seeing as I seem to be already paying for its disposal!
    Halloween is coming, maybe someone would like it for the annual bonfires :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

There's a website for recycling your mattress, for 30e. A quick Google should find it. They will collect it for you, saving you from driving to ballyogan or to fassaroe (as we did, it cost 20e). Putting a mattress in a skip is a pretty dodgy thing to do, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

There's Putting a mattress in a skip is a pretty dodgy thing to do, imo.
    I don't plan on doing it without permission :) - and I expect in these fiscally prudent times to have to pay a small fee to said neighbour.

I found those other lads you mentioned - http://envirogreenrecycling.com/mattress-recycling/ - dearer than Ballyogan, but will save me the drive I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

It states on their site "only available in Dublin" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Just got a new mattress delivered, short of driving to Ballyogan any suggestions go getting rid of old one? It's super-king size so getting in car will be a challenge.
    Do Refuse companies take them? We're with greenstar.

It's hardly a 'freecycle' item- do people go for 2nd hand mattresses?

They couldnt decide, they said they'd have to sleep on it.

coat

Advertisement