Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24 Loro78

Hi everyone.
    I think I've come across this issue before here, but every case seems to be a little different, so I'd appreciate any idea on how to solve my situation...

I am in a meteor student broadband stick contract (besides my mobile phone contract) for the past 4 years, always paid in time etc., never any delays or direct debit bouncing back or anything like that. I got Netflix two months ago, and everything was hunkey dorey, my 10 year old son loved the movies there - and watched a little bit every evening over the last few weeks.

My broadband stick has an allowance of 20 GB, and when I purchased it in the store about 3,5 years ago the man there told me it would "take me 24 hours watching youtube and I still wouldnt reach the limit". So, that was grand - I assumed netflix would not be much different to Youtube.

Little did I know - a bill of 982,- Euros hit me today!! I straight away spoke to Meteor customer service, the lad spoke to his supervisor etc., but said that the charges are "valid as the data was used by me. He also told me I should have checked my usage regularly on my Meteor broadband stick interface - which I did today then after the phone call, and it seems to be not working (usage just shows 0 everywhere, for all days of the past month, also for today even though I was online at that point, but "current session" showed data flow). I took several different screenshots of the usage interface showing zero data for upload as well as download for the past month - obviously, there is something not working right!

Do ye think I've any chance of having these charges cancelled due to the fact that the interface on the stick is obviously malfunctioning and not showing the correct usage? Also, there has been no warning or anything - my bill is usually between 51 and 56 Euros per month, in 4 years this was the very first time it even went over 60 Euros - and with nearly 1,000 Euros they should have copped on that there was something going wrong, and contacted me I believe! I mean, there is warnings via text messages if you roam data abroad and you go over 50 Euros, but not at home! What a nonsense...

Does anybody know what the outlook of this would be going to court, given the fact the usage shows zero, plus I am a single mum and a student - there is no way I can pay 1,000 Euros for one months internet! :mad: Was planning on contact consumer board in Ireland etc., think there is several places to go with complaints like that, isnt there? Any ideas what else I can do, or what the legal side to this is like??

Any help is really appreciated.... Many many thanks!!!
    Loro78

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Usually when you launch the broadband programme on your computer, you'll receive a text message informing you that your balance is running low. This is a requirement. Its automated also so you should have received it.
    You also have to realise that Netflix streams in HD unless you change it in your account settings.

The fact that you bought it 3 years back also struck me. Things have changed over the 3 years and digital media streams at higher resolutions now.

Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to pay it. Just like every other person who's made this mistake.

In the future, I make sure you install Data Usage Monitoring software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You used it with netflex - on mobile broadband!!!

The data log not currently showing usage doesn't change the fact that you used it. Did you honestly think streaming movies on netflex was like watching youtube clips?

I can't see you having any case but they many give you a payment arrangement over a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I got caught for €30 quid myself while using data for watch Netflix.

Its very easy to do especially if you have a good connection and you get HD streaming.

Call Meteor and come to a deal with regards to payment. Offer to pay part of it upfront then the rest can be paid off each month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's unreasonable to expect meteor to wave all charges considering you yourself aiming increases usage.

As for the software, well it very easily may be not working due to something wrong with your pc.

Now had you brought this to meteors attention prior to the high charges and they had failed to resolve it or troubleshoot it then you "might" have a case. However claiming it now is a loose defense IMHO

Your best bet is to perhaps look for some charges to be waived as goodwill, but expecting all charges to be waived is pretty unreasonable in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's unreasonable for Metor to charge this, they should have been in contact with you to tell you the bill had got to this stage. Write a formal letter and take it up with the Comreg if you get no joy. You wont get away with paying none of it but it's likely to get written down a bit.

I'd recomed gettting proper legal advice with a bill of this amount. FLAC.ie would be a good port of call.

Sorry about the spelling I'm at work using an acient IE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The fact that the usage counter on your online account is not working will go in your favour(you could not tell when you had reached your 20GB limit) as will meteor's failure to properly notify you of the change of price of the data when you went from using the included data to the out of bundle data(meaning the choice of not using the dearer data was taken from you).

Write a "formal complaint" to meteor(use the heading "formal complaint") and if they do not resolve this within ten days you can contact ComReg who will fight the case for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A 1 hr episode on Netflix can be about 500mb, so it is very easy to rack up a large amount of data.

Ignorance of how much data you are using is no defence. The fact that you only checked the counter after the fact also won't help you.

If you had checked during the period and it continued to show 0 then you should have contacted them to have the fault remedied. But, you didn't even notice.

There is no obligation on Meteor to contact you during your billing cycle to warn you. ComReg may assist you, but again, you used the data and you didn't even know how much you were using (you never attempted to check).

You used the data, so must pay the bill. Writing a letter of complaint may help, but at best they might take some off or even half the bill. But, you need to prepare yourself for the worst case - they come after you for the full amount. Make plans to pay by installments and pay as much of a lump sum up front as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP call up meteor and say you were unaware of how much data you were using. And simply say to them there is no way you can pay for it. I guarantee you your €982 will drop to a lower figure. But drive it home you have no job and cant pay it. I wont be surprised if the bill is less than €100. Maybe even €50.

There is plenty of reports where phone companies have enormously reduced the bills of people who accidentally used their data on holiday and got left with a huge bill they couldnt pay. The phone company reduced their bills from like €500 to about €50. I cant see why meteor wont do the same.

If your reduction doesnt come through( im sure it will). Im sure one of the papers would love to publish your story and when they do. Except a massive reduction in your bill. Whatever happens, get your self a pay as you go modern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Bepolite wrote: »
    It's unreasonable for Metor to charge this, they should have been in contact with you to tell you the bill had got to this stage. Write a formal letter and take it up with the Comreg if you get no joy. You wont get away with paying none of it but it's likely to get written down a bit.

I'd recomed gettting proper legal advice with a bill of this amount. FLAC.ie would be a good port of call.

Sorry about the spelling I'm at work using an acient IE.

No you used the data you pay that is that. You accept you where watching Netflix so you used the data. What is unreasonable is to think the meteor should have to tell you have much data you are using that is up to you. Pay up op or come to a payment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

I'm fairly sure Meteor say they'll contact you at 80% of your allowance to alert you. It might even be a European directive. You should check this out.

• Advertisement

bren2002 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Meteor say they'll contact you at 80% of your allowance to alert you. It might even be a European directive. You should check this out.

I think that's for roaming data only, not for data used on the home network.

hfallada wrote: »
    OP call up meteor and say you were unaware of how much data you were using.

You do realise that Meteor are on boards.ie and do read threads like this? :rolleyes: Matching the exact amount to a subscriber isn't hard to do, so they will know that the OP never checked how much data was being used. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The fact that the usage counter on your online account is not working will go in your favour(you could not tell when you had reached your 20GB limit) as will meteor's failure to properly notify you of the change of price of the data when you went from using the included data to the out of bundle data(meaning the choice of not using the dearer data was taken from you).

Write a "formal complaint" to meteor(use the heading "formal complaint") and if they do not resolve this within ten days you can contact ComReg who will fight the case for you.

What a surprise you telling someone how to get out of playing when they are clearly in the wrong.

First they have already said they were using more for Netflix, They said they didn't check the online account till they rang Meteor so no case there. Whne they signed up they would have been told about the out of bundle prices so again not Meters problem.

They have no case to make a complaint of any kind and you know well thats the case
    Do you do anything other then try and get out of playing for things? Thats all you ever do on here.

hfallada wrote: »
    OP call up meteor and say you were unaware of how much data you were using. And simply say to them there is no way you can pay for it. I guarantee you your €982 will drop to a lower figure. But drive it home you have no job and cant pay it. I wont be surprised if the bill is less than €100. Maybe even €50.

There is plenty of reports where phone companies have enormously reduced the bills of people who accidentally used their data on holiday and got left with a huge bill they couldnt pay. The phone company reduced their bills from like €500 to about €50. I cant see why meteor wont do the same.

If your reduction doesnt come through( im sure it will). Im sure one of the papers would love to publish your story and when they do. Except a massive reduction in your bill. Whatever happens, get your self a pay as you go modern.

are you for real? Why in gods name would Meteor cut almost
    €800 off a bill for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

If your bill averages over €50 per month why don't you get fixed line broadband with much higher limits and it would be cheaper? Unless fixed broadband isnt available where you live you are paying way over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pk82

Can you check your usage via your account online with Meteor

I know this is possible with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Very unfortunate that this kind of thing happens. It's bizarre that the provider doesn't attempt to contact the user when they see that his/her's usage goes over 100% of what is normal for their account.

I think these companies should bring in a one strike and you're out rule, in that if this kind of thing happens once on your account and there is good reason for your mistake then you'll be let away with it, but if it happens again then no excuses and you will be paying the full amount. (Obviously that might not be viable due to the commercial realities of the company, but it would make sense as most of the time these situations seem genuine and it would only give the company good publicity if they had something like this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The networks should really suspend your data services once the usage goes say €50 Outside bundle.

People don't necessarily understand or have an ability to calculate how much data a service is using.

The content is much more data intensive and the networks are better. A few years ago that wouldn't have been possible as the network wouldn't have been able to stream the data that fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Paulw wrote: »
    You do realise that Meteor are on boards.ie and do read threads like this? :rolleyes: Matching the exact amount to a subscriber isn't hard to do, so they will know that the OP never checked how much data was being used. :confused:

They will also know that the OP is genuine, and was totally unaware off the huge bill mounting in the back ground, also if they are monitoring post like this (which any good business would do) then they will come up with a solution for this particular issue, and ADVERTISE it so that everyone is aware of their options...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

chops018 wrote: »
    It's bizarre that the provider doesn't attempt to contact the user when they see that his/her's usage goes over 100% of what is normal for their account.
    Why would that be cause for them to contact the customer though? If it's being used, it's being used. They have entered into a contract agreeing to pay for what they have used and they need to take responsibility for that.

I'm not saying that to be harsh, I do hope the OP does get some form of reprieve, but the onus is not on a company to contact a customer if their usage of something exceeds what they normally use. That's up to the customer to keep on top of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Why would that be cause for them to contact the customer though? If it's being used, it's being used. They have entered into a contract agreeing to pay for what they have used and they need to take responsibility for that.

I'm not saying that to be harsh, I do hope the OP does get some form of reprieve, but the onus is not on a company to contact a customer if their usage of something exceeds what they normally use. That's up to the customer to keep on top of.

Nor am I saying that the onus is on the company, and if they don't want to then they don't have to.

But, it would be good business practice. Which would lead to good word of mouth, and lead to more customers.

Simple really.... it would benefit the user and the company, and avoid situations of people arguing over said bill and possibly leaving the company, and attempting not to pay the bill, or having to come to an agreement of a payment plan.

Notifying the person when there normal usage doubles would avoid all of the above.

EDIT: I've actually witnessed District Court Judge's openly criticising this type pf payment where usage can rack up to such a high amount, he felt that these companies should stress this and offer them pay as you go type of systems firstly, especially if they are of low income.

chops018 wrote: »
    Very unfortunate that this kind of thing happens. It's bizarre that the provider doesn't attempt to contact the user when they see that his/her's usage goes over 100% of what is normal for their account.

I think these companies should bring in a one strike and you're out rule, in that if this kind of thing happens once on your account and there is good reason for your mistake then you'll be let away with it, but if it happens again then no excuses and you will be paying the full amount. (Obviously that might not be viable due to the commercial realities of the company, but it would make sense as most of the time these situations seem genuine and it would only give the company good publicity if they had something like this).

Good idea in theory however wide open to be taken advantage of. People will sign up to say O2 rack up a huge bill by ''mistake'' then leave and do the same with the others. I can think of at least one poster on here who would be licking there lips at such a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Op, I assume you've cancelled your direct debit?

Offer Meteor €100 and if they don't accept tell them to shove it. It blatant opportunism on Meteor's part and it shouldn't be tolerated.

Op, I assume you've cancelled your direct debit?

Offer Meteor €100 and if they don't accept tell them to shove it. It blatant opportunism on Meteor's part and it shouldn't be tolerated.

What kinda world do people like you live in? Meteor are not a fault here in anyway,

What shouldnt be tolerated is people like you encouraging people not to pay bills they owe

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

For me, the worst thing about this is the fact that it's far too expensive.. That amount of data is a drop in the ocean to Meteor. I can max out my UPC connection for €45 a month! It's clear that you've made an error due to a lack of understanding of the technology and as a goodwill gesture they should write a significant portion of the bill down..

But I'm sorry to say i believe they won't...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

this is reely unfair op, hope it gets sorted for you, yer 20bucks or whatever it cost was 20gb the fair thing to do would be if you go over by another 20e (which is prob only 1or2gb) then your given the rest 18or so gb for free,

ie you should just get double charged and double the data

its awful what some net providers are still getttin away with them dongles, im with 3mobile unilimited data 20e a month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lala88 wrote: »
    What kinda world do people like you live in? Meteor are not a fault here in anyway,

What shouldnt be tolerated is people like you encouraging people not to pay bills they owe

Meteor are at fault for their opportunistic business practices. I have no problem with people paying bills that they owe, and I encourage it, but no one owes anyone €1000 for streaming content online. And frankly anyone who pays it is a ****ing moron.

Usually when there are caps on broadband packages it's to moderate usage on the network so one user isn't hogging the thing, if that was meteor's purpose then they'd have checks in place so that if someone exceeds their allowance they would be notified and their connection may be rate limited so they are simply unable to download any more. But that's not their purpose, their purpose is very clear.

I equate these kind of charges with those money lenders that charge 4000% apr. One is screwing over the desperate, the other is screwing over the ignorant.

I guarantee you meteor will gladly accept an offer significantly less then what they're asking, because they know themselves what kind of chancers they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Meteor are in no way at fault here. The customer is liable for the data usage.

Its called personal responsibility. A car can do well above 60mph. But roads have that limit. If you get caught out doing more than that in that zone, are you gonna blame it on the car to the Gardai? I didnt think so.

Call Meteor, negotiate abit, explain the situation. They MIGHT lower your bill however if they do, its at their discretion. Any monies owed will be pursued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

No way you should pay this, there should be regulation that alerts a contractor to contact you when a bill goes wildly above an average bill. All these companies have huge analytic centres now. That bill is outrageously high.

If there is a problem then don't pay it, meteor will put it down as a bad debt, they will threaten you etc and you might get a bad credit rating. 5 years afaik these are wiped. I'm firmly believe that these companies shouldn't take advantage of people and many of these cases are settled at a reasonable rate after weeks of threats etc. Your cases is especially wrong imo.

• Advertisement

Tobyglen wrote: »
    No way you should pay this, there should be regulation that alerts a contractor to contact you when a bill goes wildly above an average bill. All these companies have huge analytic centres now. That bill is outrageously high.

If there is a problem then don't pay it, meteor will put it down as a bad debt, they will threaten you etc and you might get a bad credit rating. 5 years afaik these are wiped. I'm firmly believe that these companies shouldn't take advantage of people.

Again how are they taking advantage? They used it and now they have to pay for it, thats how the wold works. You can come along and cry when you dont like something. Thats all thast happening here, the OP doesnt want to pay the bill because they think its too high when in fact its not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement