Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Tobyglen wrote: »
    No way you should pay this, there should be regulation that alerts a contractor to contact you when a bill goes wildly above an average bill. All these companies have huge analytic centres now. That bill is outrageously high.

If there is a problem then don't pay it, meteor will put it down as a bad debt, they will threaten you etc and you might get a bad credit rating. 5 years afaik these are wiped. I'm firmly believe that these companies shouldn't take advantage of people and many of these cases are settled at a reasonable rate after weeks of threats etc. Your cases is especially wrong imo.

I agree its outrageously high, but its the customers fault for using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

pk82 wrote: »
    Can you check your usage via your account online with Meteor

I know this is possible with Vodafone

And o2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Meteor are at fault for their opportunistic business practices. I have no problem with people paying bills that they owe, and I encourage it, but no one owes anyone €1000 for streaming content online. And frankly anyone who pays it is a ****ing moron.

Usually when there are caps on broadband packages it's to moderate usage on the network so one user isn't hogging the thing, if that was meteor's purpose then they'd have checks in place so that if someone exceeds their allowance they would be notified and their connection may be rate limited so they are simply unable to download any more. But that's not their purpose, their purpose is very clear.

I equate these kind of charges with those money lenders that charge 4000% apr. One is screwing over the desperate, the other is screwing over the ignorant.

I guarantee you meteor will gladly accept an offer significantly less then what they're asking, because they know themselves what kind of chancers they are.

No they are not. How many times do you have to be told? They OP signed up to a service and they got that service so now they have to pay for it. Its not Meteors problem if they didnt keep track of the usage.

The only chancers here are people like you who will use every sob story and excuse under the sun to get out of paying something they owe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

People need to accept responsibility for their own usage and monitor it themselves regularly and not go crazy by blaming the provider when they exceed the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

McLoughlin wrote: »
    People need to accept responsibility for their own usage and monitor it themselves regularly and not go crazy by blaming the provider when they exceed the limit.

That really is too much to ask of some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lala88 wrote: »
    No they are not. How many times do you have to be told? They OP signed up to a service and they got that service so now they have to pay for it. Its not Meteors problem if they didnt keep track of the usage.

The only chancers here are people like you who will use every sob story and excuse under the sun to get out of paying something they owe

The online data checker is not working so meteor denied them the ability to keep track of their usage which is something they are obliged to do afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

No you used the data you pay that is that. You accept you where watching Netflix so you used the data. What is unreasonable is to think the meteor should have to tell you have much data you are using that is up to you. Pay up op or come to a payment plan.

Thankfully we don't live in a country whose consumer law is governed by the Ferengi rules of acquisition. It's completely unreasonable to let an end user rack up this sort of bill, he should have been cut off at a credit limit.

I've been warned to refrain from getting into the legalities of situations, which is probably wise - OP will almost certainly see a write down once a solicitor becomes involved, this can be done through FLAC.

McLoughlin wrote: »

That would be too easy for them to do. Plus if they did who would they balme when they do something wrong?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The online data checker is not working so meteor denied them the ability to keep track of their usage which is something they are obliged to do afaik.

They didnt check it till Meteor told them about it so they cant use that as an excuse as they didnt use is before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Bepolite wrote: »
    It's completely unreasonable to let an end user rack up this sort of bill, he should have been cut off at a credit limit.
    Or not used the service as much as she did. I've heard people talk about companies "letting" people over-use a service - as if the customer has no agency in said usage.
    I've been warned to refrain from getting into the legalities of situations, which is probably wise - OP will almost certainly see a write down once a solicitor becomes involved, this can be done through FLAC.
    On what grounds does she have cause for legal action? Having a feeling she might, isn't sufficient.

• Advertisement

Thankfully we don't live in a country whose consumer law is governed by the Ferengi rules of acquisition. It's completely unreasonable to let an end user rack up this sort of bill, he should have been cut off at a credit limit.

You can sign up to have a limit but if you dont how is that the companys fault? The OP is not a baby and doent need Meteor to hold their hand

The operator is legally obliged to notify the customer when the price of their service changes which did not happen in this case. When the data bundle had been exhausted the op should have been notified that they were going to be charged from that point onwards at a much higher rate. This is done by other operators by means of disconnecting the service momentarily and sending a text to the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The operator is legally obliged to notify the customer when the price of their service changes which did not happen in this case. When the data bundle had been exhausted the op should have been notified that they were going to be charged from that point onwards at a much higher rate.
    What if it had already been outlined in the terms and conditions?

What if it had already been outlined in the terms and conditions?
    Afaik it must be in real-time, so as the data is used up.

The operator is legally obliged to notify the customer when the price of their service changes which did not happen in this case. When the data bundle had been exhausted the op should have been notified that they were going to be charged from that point onwards at a much higher rate. This is done by other operators by means of disconnecting the service momentarily and sending a text to the number.

When they signed up that would have been in the contract, again if they didnt read it not Meteors fault. A message would have been sent to the number of the broadband not a mobile again if they dont check the message its their fault not Meteors

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So... she used something and she has to pay what it costs...

Not... seein' the unfairness, nor the reason for it to be reduced to €100.

Lack of knowledge on her part, circumstances, yes, but while the company should accommodate this, they really are doing nothing wrong by billing her for what she owes.

"My bill for what I used is too much even though it's correct" is not a reason for not paying it.

Wonder why people keep "guaranteeing" Meteor will reduce the bill drastically - do they know something we don't know?

The OP is not the only person whom a meteor salesperson has told them that 20 go is more than enough. Two of my friends got caught out separately with the same. One for a bill of €130 for a single netflix movie. The other I had to spend a few hours going through their bill to figure out a charge of €250.

Meteor are behaving very badly by not cutting off people when they go over their limit unknowingly.

The OP is not the only person whom a meteor salesperson has told them that 20 go is more than enough. Two of my friends got caught out separately with the same. One for a bill of €130 for a single netflix movie. The other I had to spend a few hours going through their bill to figure out a charge of €250.

Meteor are behaving very badly by not cutting off people when they go over their limit unknowingly.

Again how is it them at fault if the person isnt keeping track of the usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Sorry for butting in here but lads 20gb a month is huge. I download box set after box set - plus movies and YT and it wouldn't go near 20gb. I just checked and downloading the Hobbit is only 2.5GB and season one of the Wire is only 4.46gb. I'm no Steve Jobs and no the in's and out's of all the techinal stuff but for the bill to jump up that amount there must of been some serious downloading done. Could the customer get a breakdown of the bill and know exactly what was downloaded and where the extra 850 went? That is mental. OK it maybe your responsibility to check the usage but surely Meteor should call when you go so far over your plan?

On what grounds does she have cause for legal action? Having a feeling she might, isn't sufficient.

See generally European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995.

Specifically:

SCHEDULE 2

Guidelines for Application of the Test of Good Faith

In making an assessment of good faith, particular regard shall be had to

— the strength of the bargaining positions of the parties,
    — whether the consumer had an inducement to agree to the term,
    — whether the goods or services were sold or supplied to the special order of the consumer, and
    the extent to which the seller or supplier has dealt fairly and equitably with the consumer whose legitimate interests he has to take into account.

The standard is one of negligence or recklessness. No credit limit system is almost certainly negligent - you can argue both ways, but being the legal realist that I am this isn't going to happen.

See also Schedule 3 - a breach of a number of those, more or less depending on whether you buy the counter argument.

I'd put a couple of pints on that if ever went to court, which it wont, the OP would be found liable for metor's actual cost.

This is without getting into the whole area of law/Codes of Practice surrounding Telcos - of which I can;t really be arsed to research, please feel free to though and show me where I'm wrong, I'd be most obliged for the education.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What kinda world do people like you live in? Meteor are not a fault here in anyway,

What shouldnt be tolerated is people like you encouraging people not to pay bills they owe

Tell it to those who signed up for so called unlimited broadband with meteor. that is what they call a 20 gb limit.
    900 euro bill should have been picked up by Meteor credit control as suspicious...

• Advertisement

Sorry for butting in here but lads 20gb a month is huge. I download box set after box set - plus movies and YT and it wouldn't go near 20gb. I just checked and downloading the Hobbit is only 2.5GB and season one of the Wire is only 4.46gb. I'm no Steve Jobs and no the in's and out's of all the techinal stuff but for the bill to jump up that amount there must of been some serious downloading done. Could the customer get a breakdown of the bill and know exactly what was downloaded and where the extra 850 went? That is mental. OK it maybe your responsibility to check the usage but surely Meteor should call when you go so far over your plan?

after 20 you pay per kb, that is how this happens...

wonski wrote: »
    Tell it to those who signed up for so called unlimited broadband with meteor. that is what they call a 20 gb limit.
    900 euro bill should have been picked up by Meteor credit control as suspicious...

Bit of a digression but I heard (haven't read the case so stand to be corrected) that they (well Eircom) get round the unlimited bit by saying it's an unlimited time you can use it for, I personally loved that little dodge!

no they signed up for unlimited fair usage its in the T&C

after 20 you pay per kb, that is how this happens...

WT... you have to mean 2c a MB.... :eek:

no they signed up for unlimited fair usage its in the T&C

T&Cs aren't binding of the breach consumer law. If they breach fair usage a responsible business would cut off/inform the customer.

T&Cs aren't binding of the breach consumer law. If they breach fair usage a responsible business would cut off/inform the customer.

How do you know they didnt? Like i already said a text could be sent to the broadband number if they dont check that its the customers fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mvplaster

Loro78 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I think I've come across this issue before here, but every case seems to be a little different, so I'd appreciate any idea on how to solve my situation...

I am in a meteor student broadband stick contract (besides my mobile phone contract) for the past 4 years, always paid in time etc., never any delays or direct debit bouncing back or anything like that. I got Netflix two months ago, and everything was hunkey dorey, my 10 year old son loved the movies there - and watched a little bit every evening over the last few weeks.

My broadband stick has an allowance of 20 GB, and when I purchased it in the store about 3,5 years ago the man there told me it would "take me 24 hours watching youtube and I still wouldnt reach the limit". So, that was grand - I assumed netflix would not be much different to Youtube.

Little did I know - a bill of 982,- Euros hit me today!! I straight away spoke to Meteor customer service, the lad spoke to his supervisor etc., but said that the charges are "valid as the data was used by me. He also told me I should have checked my usage regularly on my Meteor broadband stick interface - which I did today then after the phone call, and it seems to be not working (usage just shows 0 everywhere, for all days of the past month, also for today even though I was online at that point, but "current session" showed data flow). I took several different screenshots of the usage interface showing zero data for upload as well as download for the past month - obviously, there is something not working right!

Do ye think I've any chance of having these charges cancelled due to the fact that the interface on the stick is obviously malfunctioning and not showing the correct usage? Also, there has been no warning or anything - my bill is usually between 51 and 56 Euros per month, in 4 years this was the very first time it even went over 60 Euros - and with nearly 1,000 Euros they should have copped on that there was something going wrong, and contacted me I believe! I mean, there is warnings via text messages if you roam data abroad and you go over 50 Euros, but not at home! What a nonsense...

Does anybody know what the outlook of this would be going to court, given the fact the usage shows zero, plus I am a single mum and a student - there is no way I can pay 1,000 Euros for one months internet! :mad: Was planning on contact consumer board in Ireland etc., think there is several places to go with complaints like that, isnt there? Any ideas what else I can do, or what the legal side to this is like??

Any help is really appreciated.... Many many thanks!!!
    Loro78

Hey just don't pay it seems to me if its displaying 0 then they are breaking contract by not giving proper figures go further about it DO NOT PAY IT THEY TRY BULLY YOU DINT GIVE IN

How do you know they didnt? Like i already said a text could be sent to the broadband number if they dont check that its the customers fault

Text should have been sent at a certain point and if no contact made the customer should have been cut off. Doesn't matter which way you play this metor are the bad guys here.

Bit of a digression but I heard (haven't read the case so stand to be corrected) that they (well Eircom) get round the unlimited bit by saying it's an unlimited time you can use it for, I personally loved that little dodge!

This plan is no longer available, but it used to be big selling point. Someone had to stop it at some point.

• Advertisement

unlimited fair usage its in the T&C

My glasses stopped working (exceeded my usage limit on them) so couldn't read it. Good to see there are still fans of small print. I love to read small print meself...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement