Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Bepolite wrote: »
    Text should have been sent at a certain point and if no contact made the customer should have been cut off. Doesn't matter which way you play this metor are the bad guys here.

They should do this, they should do that, should thats all you say. Heres a should for you maybe the OP should pay for the service they signed up for and used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lala88 wrote: »
    How do you know they didnt? Like i already said a text could be sent to the broadband number if they dont check that its the customers fault

do you know that a text was sent? have you got insider information? What if NO text was sent??

foggy_lad wrote: »
    do you know that a text was sent? have you got insider information? What if NO text was sent??

Do you know it wasn't? You seem fairly sure about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

See generally European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995.

Specifically:

SCHEDULE 2

Guidelines for Application of the Test of Good Faith

In making an assessment of good faith, particular regard shall be had to

— the strength of the bargaining positions of the parties,
    — whether the consumer had an inducement to agree to the term,
    — whether the goods or services were sold or supplied to the special order of the consumer, and
    the extent to which the seller or supplier has dealt fairly and equitably with the consumer whose legitimate interests he has to take into account.

The standard is one of negligence or recklessness. No credit limit system is almost certainly negligent - you can argue both ways, but being the legal realist that I am this isn't going to happen.

See also Schedule 3 - a breach of a number of those, more or less depending on whether you buy the counter argument.

I'd put a couple of pints on that if ever went to court, which it wont, the OP would be found liable for metor's actual cost.

This is without getting into the whole area of law/Codes of Practice surrounding Telcos - of which I can;t really be arsed to research, please feel free to though and show me where I'm wrong, I'd be most obliged for the education.
    She still owes the money for the cost of the service she used? Despite people saying she "doesn't owe it" (where on earth are they getting that from?) she does. There was no incorrect overcharging here. A reduction is at Meteor's discretion, and hopefully they will honour it as a goodwill gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Again if it was sent and they didnt check its their problem not Meteors. If they did cut them off the OP would be on here complaining and you would be backing them up with that too.

You'll actually find I'm a ecumenical abuser (bonus points for where that comes from!) and get equally as annoyed a stupid consumers.
    Theye used the service they signed up to and now have to pay simple as that. Again their not a baby

You keep saying this and I've keep demonstrating that, legally at least, you're wrong.

• Advertisement

You'll actually find I'm a ecumenical abuser (bonus points for where that comes from!) and get equally as annoyed a stupid consumers.

You keep saying this and I've keep demonstrating that, legally at least, you're wrong.

I keep saying it because thats what happened. So legally its wrong to sign up for a service and then expect to have to pay for it after?

She still owes the money for the cost of the service she used? Despite people saying she "doesn't owe it" (where on earth are they getting that from?) she does. There was no incorrect overcharging here. A reduction is at Meteor's discretion, and hopefully they will honour it as a goodwill gesture.

There doesn't have to be incorrect charging, just unfair charging, I'm afraid I'm not going into it any further here, it's beyond the scope of the forum. You're welcome to your opinion, and as always any constructive contribution is a good contribution , none of us are experts or infallible.

Best of luck with it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They should do this, they should do that, should thats all you say. Heres a should for you maybe the OP should pay for the service they signed up for and used

Well, they signed up for 20 GB "limit". If their is a limit, the service should have been limited. If OP came here to say he was hit with 10, or even 50 euro extra, I would say next time watch your usage and be careful with Netflix or anything like this. 980 euro bill for 1 month of internet usage - let's get real - Loan Sharks are prohibited from starting businesses here, yet charging almost 1000 euro for 1 month broadband is OK? And 90% of posters here seem to think it is actually OK???

• Registered Users Posts: 11 George_Kaplan

It's easy to rack up a monstrous bill when providers charge an excess which is completely out of line with normal data usage, 2000% out of line.

No regulation exists for these extreme penalties. Yes, you sign a contract, but what does a megabyte(MB) mean to the average person in the context of what they do online?
    The providers must be rubbing their hands with glee, as data consumption and data rates increase(4G) and they still have a price per MB that can be measured in pence when running into excess usage.

It is nothing short of criminal, what happened to capping connections, ensuring people only use what they had paid for?

Imagine a pay-as-you-go electricity meter that loaded a premium of 2000% per unit as you were too busy in the shower to go down and check the meter? Balls to that.
    Or what about a taxi driver that decides to charge only 0.02 cent per femtometre.

The OP is a victim of Meteors and others business model and her own unawareness, yes the bill is hers to pay as people here are keen to remind her, but as a once off accident, a device that costs her ~50 euro per month now costs almost 1000 must be a bitter pill to swallow.

There doesn't have to be incorrect charging, just unfair charging, I'm afraid I'm not going into it any further here, it's beyond the scope of the forum. You're welcome to your opinion, and as always any constructive contribution is a good contribution , none of us are experts or infallible.

Best of luck with it OP.
    There's nothing unfair about charging for usage, I'm just being realistic here. How else is the company supposed to recoup the cost? It wouldn't be fair for the OP to get a big chunk of free data. However it wouldn't seem right of the company not to at least accommodate a payment plan either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Sorry for butting in here but lads 20gb a month is huge. I download box set after box set - plus movies and YT and it wouldn't go near 20gb. I just checked and downloading the Hobbit is only 2.5GB and season one of the Wire is only 4.46gb. I'm no Steve Jobs and no the in's and out's of all the techinal stuff but for the bill to jump up that amount there must of been some serious downloading done. Could the customer get a breakdown of the bill and know exactly what was downloaded and where the extra 850 went? That is mental. OK it maybe your responsibility to check the usage but surely Meteor should call when you go so far over your plan?

It depends on how you use it really.

A high quality stream on Netflix uses 1GB per hour and 2.8GBs if you're watching in HD.

Spend a weekend watching a fair few films and you'd cut into that 20GBs fairly easily, then add on regular usage (emails, browsing etc) and it's quite easy to go over.

Have done the whole capped broadband myself and rarely went over it by more than a few euro, but it's easy to see how someone could.

Surely the company should have a bit of common decency and ensure they alert the customer when they are a certain amount over their usage.

Charging someone a grand for watching some films online is nothing short of robbery tbh, even if they should have known better.

Would be inclined to avoid Meteor after hearing this, if that is how they treat customers.

Best of luck with it OP.

By your logic then anything can be considered ''unfair'' pricing and we all should just not pay our bills because they are ''unfair''

There's nothing unfair about charging for usage, I'm just being realistic here. How else is the company supposed to recoup the cost? It wouldn't be fair for the OP to get a big chunk of free data. However it wouldn't seem right of the company not to at least accommodate a payment plan either.

Okay to answers this, then I'm done, the company would (probably) be allowed to recover the wholesale cost of the data. I'm guessing here but I suspect the real cost to metor would be in the order of a few euro at most.

If the company was so concerned about customer using to much, they should limit his speed / access. At the same time you can top-up your pay as you go broadband for the samer price/MB regardless of the usage, and yet it costs Meteor so much to provide OP with service outside of his allowance?
    Don't get me wrong - I do understand contract, limits etc, but when it comes to extorsion (and this bill is a form of extortion) - I am against it.
    I have unlimited texts and minutes with Meteor, but the usage isn't shown on My Meteor (probably because it is unlimited, so what's the point). I would find it hard to find out that there is cap of 600 minutes, and after that it costs 10c/s. All contracts are supposed to have reasonable charges. 1000 euro/month for broadband access is extortion.

It depends on how you use it really.

A high quality stream on Netflix uses 1GB per hour and 2.8GBs if you're watching in HD.

Spend a weekend watching a fair few films and you'd cut into that 20GBs fairly easily, then add on regular usage (emails, browsing etc) and it's quite easy to go over.

Have done the whole capped broadband myself and rarely went over it by more than a few euro, but it's easy to see how someone could.

Surely the company should have a bit of common decency and ensure they alert the customer when they are a certain amount over their usage.

Charging someone a grand for watching some films online is nothing short of robbery tbh, even if they should have known better.

Would be inclined to avoid Meteor after hearing this, if that is how they treat customers.

You'd avoid them because they want to be paid for what was used? What kinda o company would do something like that....

By your logic then anything can be considered ''unfair'' pricing and we all should just not pay our bills because they are ''unfair''

Surely You can see a difference between regular bills that are (generally) pain to pay, and 1 thousand euro for a broadband, can't You?

You'd avoid them because they want to be paid for what was used? What kinda o company would do something like that....

I'd avoid someone who charges someone a grand for a service which others are getting for €40 elsewhere.

I just think they should have altered the customer about their bill going sky-high.

Strange that I don't see the value in paying €1000 for a months broadband...

Why do people think it is ok for companies to rip us off?

A friend of mine recently got a huge Vodafone bill (not as big as this one, granted) - because she exceeded the data allowance. So she's just going to contact Vodafone to change her data package to the highest one. There's no talk of "They should have notified me", "This is unfair because it's too high" - she just realises she exceeded the data contained in her package at time.

I'd avoid someone who charges someone a grand for a service which others are getting for €40 elsewhere.

I just think they should have altered the customer about their bill going sky-high.

Why do people think it is ok for companies to rip us off?

That has to be the first thread on boards in years where posters think it is OK to pay 1k/month for broadband. Amazing...

If they had gone over the limit with anyone else they would have been charged extra too.

Again its not Meteors job to alert them they should be doing it themselfs unless they sign up to getting alerts. Like i said if an alert was sent by text it would have been to the broadband number if they dont check it thats they fault.

It has nothing to do with value they used that much

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    That has to be the first thread on boards in years where posters think it is OK to pay 1k/month for broadband. Amazing...

My god. How many times do you have to be told? They went over their limit so they were changed extra they knew this when they signed up. This is tipic of the bull**** on here by people ''dont pay that because its too high'' ''thats not fair i have to pay that much''

A friend of mine recently got a huge Vodafone bill (not as big as this one, granted) - because she exceeded the data allowance. So she's just going to contact Vodafone to change her data package to the highest one. There's no talk of "They should have notified me", "This is unfair because it's too high" - she just realises she exceeded the data contained in her package at time.

Ok, let me put it this way.

An elderly woman who has little experience with the internet, gets a 10GB limit after being told by the rep that this will be more than enough for browsing the web and answering emails etc.

She browses the internet and finds that Fair City (her favourite show) is available for watching online. She watches 100 episodes that month, going way over her usage and incurring a massive bill.

Do you have any sympathy for her, or should she just pay the company, as it is her fault...?

Ok, let me put it this way.

An elderly woman who has little experience with the internet, gets a 10GB limit after being told by the rep that this will be more than enough for browsing the web and answering emails etc.

She browses the internet and finds that Fair City (her favourite show) is available for watching online. She watches 100 episodes that month, going way over her usage and incurring a massive bill.

Do you have any sympathy for her, or should she just pay the company, as it is her fault...?

Oh my god yet another ''elderly woman'' made up example to try and prove a point.

No i wouldnt, she told the rep what she would be using it for and told her it was enough, not the reps fault if she starts to use it for something else after

Oh my god yet another ''elderly woman'' made up example to try and prove a point

It just seems clear to me that the OP doesn't have that much knowledge regarding bandwidth and such things, so these companies are basically taking advantage of some people's lack of knowledge.

You've clearly got no sympathy for anyone though, to the point that you sound like a shill.

Either that, or we should all aspire to be as knowledgeable (and coldhearted) as you.

My god. How many times do you have to be told? They went over their limit so they were changed extra they knew this when they signed up. This is tipic of the bull**** on here by people ''dont pay that because its too high'' ''thats not fair i have to pay that much''

My god. 1k for "broadband" sounds reasonable... My bad...

And to get back on topic - the only comparision I can find are loan sharks. Good to see there are so many potential customers willing to pay over the odds. My next business venture is up to 100Mb/s UNLIMITED broadband. Speeds will vary - most likely You will be on 100kb/s, and the fair usage limit is 1MB. But that's ok, as soon as You go over there is 10000 euro penalty. Dream comes true. Sooner or later th EU will deal with this, just like it dealt with roaming charges. And telecoms didn't go into bancrupcy despite all these changes, hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Enough of this sh!t, who in Gods name does Meteor think they are, sending out a bill like that??? I know it's automated or whatever, BUT SERIOUSLY .... It's obviously not a company address, they should set up some sort of warning system for house holds!!!

It just seems clear to me that the OP doesn't have that much knowledge regarding bandwidth and such things, so these companies are basically taking advantage of some people's lack of knowledge.

You've clearly got no sympathy for anyone though, to the point that you sound like a shill.

No they are not. Jesus. If you go into a Meteor shop say you want broadband to browse the internet, looking at Youtube etc and are given a package for that and they go and start to download movies etc and go over the limit whos fault is that? The sales person signed you up to what you asked for

And yet another classic boards reply, you don't agree with me so you clearly work with the company

I can't see how she "clearly" has no sympathy for "anyone" - or is a shill, or coldhearted. She seems like someone who has worked in customer service and is exasperated by the refusal of people to acknowledge customer responsibility, and the notion that the company is always at fault and trying to be horrible to the customer when there are two sides, and the notion that the company should spoonfeed the customer 100%.

wonski wrote: »
    My god. 1k for "broadband" sounds reasonable... My bad...
    She didn't say that. Could you stop pretending people said stuff that they didn't say?

• Advertisement

ardle1 wrote: »
    Enough of this sh!t, who in Gods name does Meteor think they are, sending out a bill like that??? I know it's automated or whatever, BUT SERIOUSLY .... It's obviously not a company address, they should set up some sort of warning system for house holds!!!

Because thats how much the bill is thats why it was sent out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement