Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Glad to hear you got it sorted OP.

Where did OP say they got it sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bluewolf wrote: »
    Where did OP say they got it sorted

Just checked there, they didn't ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,883 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Netflix is set up to screen at the highest resolution possible for your speed (unless you change the settings). Youtube isn't. Sorry OP

Had a bill for over €211 from them recently myself. €53 for my phone and the rest for mobile broadband (which should only be another €20). I hadn't realised that the month they charge by starts on the 25th of the month, not the first, so admittedly I did go over my limit. But there were two charges on it where for two days in a row, at 5.30 in the morning, 2gb was downloaded (which amounted to over €60 of my overuse charge). Nothing that I use can do that without me knowing it and everything bar my phone and the mobile broadband was turned off, and considering it happened 2 mornings in a row at almost exactly the same time (5.30 when I'm most definitely asleep) and almost the exact same amount downloaded and even though they all but admitted that it sounded like someone else managed to connect to it (despite me having a 21 character password with letters and numbers which only I know) as apparently it's still easy enough to break into them by getting codes off the internet, they said I was still liable for it and I shouldn't have left it on during the night.

So even though I'm contracted with them for the broadband for another few months, I told them my 2-year phone contract was up in little over a month and to put a note on my account saying it won't be renewed. And if I can, I'm going to just pay off my broadband contract early to be rid of them altogether. Lost me as a customer for life.

To be honest, it does sound like it's your own fault but hopefully given how much you're being charged, they might be a bit lenient and strike most of it off as a gesture of good faith. Try to talk to someone in charge or a manager rather than a standard call centre operator as they rarely have any power to do anything like that. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,564 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can you really "guarantee" it? The OP has already explained her situation to them.

A lot of "guarantees" and incorrect advice/opinion masquerading as advice being given here. Not sure it's of any use to the OP.

From speaking to 2 people this has happened to I would say there's a very good chance it'll be reduced

Gaurantee probably the wrong word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Hi Meteor, how much advertising would it cost to instigate 11 pages of positive comments on how great your service is? I’d imagine a lot more then €1000. So think for a minute on how damaging 11 pages are actually costing you in future lost business.

Your silence here is deafening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Mossess wrote: »
    Your silence here is deafening.
    Probably because it's not the Meteor forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Just putting a few numbers on this.

If the bill was 982 and the normal bill was never more than 60 euro, that looks like a 922 euro excess. According to some posts on this thread €0.02 per meg was the excess charged by Meteor. That's €20 per GB, an extortionate amount.

So it looks like the OP went roughly 46.1 GB above their 20 GB allowance (922/20 = 46.1) I don't think it would be unreasonable for Meteor to charge more for increased usage if they charged in line with what they were paying already. That would leave a bill of no more than €200 (€60 + 2.305 * €60). That would be a bad enough bill considering Meteor did not notify the customer that they went over the data limit.

In fact it looks like the OP was getting a bad deal anyway as Meteor's website offers 20 GB for €24.99 and 30 GB for €29.99.

I hope the OP is able to get a significant reduction in their bill from Meteor as I think this is sharp practice.

By the way, there is a Talk To Meteor forum here, maybe the OP would get a better response if they posted the query there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1558

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Probably because it's not the Meteor forum.

And even if it was their times that they are online are from 1 to 5 pm.

We haven't heard from the OP either.
    Judging by THIS post it's not the first time the OP has had sudden financial difficulties/forgetfulness....

Also, from a network resources point of view, it makes more sense to impose a cap by throttling or disconnecting the customer.

If you just charge them, they're still clogging the network for the remainder of that billing period.

I mean, if you're using a mobile network for very heavy downloading, you're probably choking it for a lot of other people in that immediate area on that particular cell site too. So, I can understand why a network would want to boot off excessive users.

But, you can do that by just having actual caps and disconnection limits.

I still find it very hard to understand how a billing system issue would make it more difficult. These networks can all offer prepay broadband, so they obviously have real-time systems in place that can count data use and disconnect after a set limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Regardless of what bright ideas people have for how telecoms should handle this, it still remains that the OP used the data and owes for it. They may be able to cut a deal but the fact is they were naïve - not for the first time based on a previous thread - and you have to wonder how they thought heavy netflex usage on mobile internet wouldn't cost a small fortune.
    The silence from OP since opening this thread is interesting.

No it isn't.
    They could be at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

SpaceTime wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    They could be at work!

If I had received that bill I would be at work all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

I would be 100% certain that the OP will only have to pay a fraction of this bill.

Something similiar happened to me with a smart phone and my insurance company.

The phone was grossly undervalued by mistake. However, the company never sent me an e-mail or letter to enable me to realise what the current valuation was. There website also did not allow me to access my policy online.

I stood to lose 400e.

I wrote to Financial Ombudsman and they told me to write a formal letter to them etc.

Without any hesitation they refunded me an extra 300e.

OP, nobody should be allowed run up a bill like this, especially based on the previous 4 years usage.

You will probably end up having to pay 20% or so.

Take it as lesson learnt and be aware of how inept an unreliable these companies are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    I would be 100% certain that the OP will only have to pay a fraction of this bill.

Something similiar happened to me with a smart phone and my insurance company.

The phone was grossly undervalued by mistake. However, the company never sent me an e-mail or letter to enable me to realise what the current valuation was. There website also did not allow me to access my policy online.

I stood to lose 400e.

I wrote to Financial Ombudsman and they told me to write a formal letter to them etc.

Without any hesitation they refunded me an extra 300e.

OP, nobody should be allowed run up a bill like this, especially based on the previous 4 years usage.

You will probably end up having to pay 20% or so.

Take it as lesson learnt and be aware of how inept an unreliable these companies are.

Not sure the company is the inept one in this case.

Not sure the company is the inept one in this case.

If they gave him no warning whatsoever then they are!

He was foolish to think he could watch netflix all day all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The smack of self entitlement off the OP is baffling. She let her 11 year old son watch lots of Netflix on her mobile broadband, and somehow she shouldn't have to pay for it because she has a child and is a student?

She didn't bother checking the counter until meteor told her she should have, and yet thinks that's a reason to not have to pay?

She used it, she went over and now she has to deal with the consequences.

Meteor may lower the bill as a gesture of goodwill but tbh I hope they don't, judging from the other thread linked too, it's high time the OP took the smallest little bit of responsibility for herself and paid what she owes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As long as the counter is broken the op should pay nothing more than the contracted amount as they had no opportunity to stop their usage when the limit was reached!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

But the OP clearly stated she didn't use the counter until after the bill arrived?

If she had, she should have notified Meteor who then would have some obligation to fix it.

At this point they have no obligation, but I think something will be worked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As long as the counter is broken the op should pay nothing more than the contracted amount as they had no opportunity to stop their usage when the limit was reached!

For the last time that has nothing to do with it. They didnt check it untill Meteor told them. Its not like they had been checking it and it was saying 0 all the time is it?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

But she didn't even check the counter during that billing period.
    And it could have been a problem with her PC that caused the counter to not work.
    Did she try any other means to see how much data she had used? No.

She used the Internet, got the enjoyment out of it, news flash - life is not free. Meteor does not owe her free Internet, meteor is not responsible for ensuring her child can watch movies in HD til the cows come home.

She signed the contract, meteor are not her mammy, going around checking up on her and wiping her ass.

Can't afford it? Don't use it. Ain't no 7th mystery of the world tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Can you really "guarantee" it? The OP has already explained her situation to them.

A lot of "guarantees" and incorrect advice/opinion masquerading as advice being given here. Not sure it's of any use to the OP.

Because thats the way things work around here. A blind eye is turned to the kind of ''advice'' people are giving the OP. Just take a look at post posts by the people giving the ''advice''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

But she didn't even check the counter during that billing period.
    And it could have been a problem with her PC that caused the counter to not work.
    Did she try any other means to see how much data she had used? No.

She used the Internet, got the enjoyment out of it, news flash - life is not free. Meteor does not owe her free Internet, meteor is not responsible for ensuring her child can watch movies in HD til the cows come home.

She signed the contract, meteor are not her mammy, going around checking up on her and wiping her ass.

Can't afford it? Don't use it. Ain't no 7th mystery of the world tbh.

She should pay 1k for Broadband use for a month....ya right..who would do that

If she is paying say 50e a month for 2g of usage ( just as an example ) and lets just sayshe used 10g then she should pay 250e...not this odious amount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

lala88 wrote: »
    Because thats the way things work around here. A blind eye is turned to the kind of ''advice'' people are giving the OP. Just take a look at post posts by the people giving the ''advice''

Ok then what happens if she does not pay it then....if people are advising her basically not to pay...worst case scenario what do you actually believe could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

campo wrote: »
    worst case scenario what do you actually believe could happen

Worst case - they take her to court and win a judgement. They then get the sheriff to enforce it. So, the sheriff comes along and takes property from her home up to the value of the judgement. Or she fails to make an attempt to pay, the judge rules that she is in contempt and she spends a few days in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

They have a "Bill Shock" team for just this type of thing.
    They should reduce it to a couple of hundred I'd say.

Ring them, explain your situation - they should listen.

It is unprofessional for Meteor not to contact the customer when there is unusally high usage. If the banks see excessive transactions they are straight onto you.

How hard would it be for them to send an automatic text or e-mail?

It's their own fault for providing such a crap service.

I would offer to pay 10% and let them go swing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Paulw wrote: »
    Worst case - they take her to court and win a judgement. They then get the sheriff to enforce it. So, the sheriff comes along and takes property from her home up to the value of the judgement. Or she fails to make an attempt to pay, the judge rules that she is in contempt and she spends a few days in jail.

And the BHL's come out shouting about how terrible it is that the big evil conglomomegacorp beat down the poor little student, and her child

campo wrote: »
    She should pay 1k for Broadband use for a month....ya right..who would do that

If she is paying say 50e a month for 2g of usage ( just as an example ) and lets just sayshe used 10g then she should pay 250e...not this odious amount
    Not really.
    She signed up for a package deal 50e for 2g. Anything over that was charged at a higher rate, which she would have signed a contract agreeing to. She can't look for 5 packages in one month.

That would be like my phone package, 50 euro for 300 texts and 500 mins. If I use 600 texts and 1000 minutes should I receive a bill for 100 euro? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    It's their own fault for providing such a crap service.

They obviously didn't provide a crap service, if she was able to stream that amount of data on netflix. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement