Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!

They will see she has had a bill for 50/60e for the past four years and this one is totally out of character. They know that if they pursue it they will just lose her as a customer and she will never pay.

For this reason Meteor will only pursue her for a small fraction of the cost.
    You have extremely little cause for being so sure of that. It's your opinion, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

You have extremely little cause for being so sure of that. It's your opinion, that's all.

Trust me. I'm 100% confident. I spent long enough working in the IT dept. of Vodafone.

Can you imagine the PR disaster this would create for them.?

Unfortunately it will require a few more letters and threats of Com Reg and/or Financial Ombudsman first.

These companies know you can't get blood from a stone. They are not thick.

I personally think they will scrap it completely but be prepared to pay 10% (max)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!

They will see she has had a bill for 50/60e for the past four years and this one is totally out of character. They know that if they pursue it they will just lose her as a customer and she will never pay.

For this reason Meteor will only pursue her for a small fraction of the cost.

The phone companies have been around long enough to know that these fcuk up happens every now and then and they have made contingencies for it, i.e. it's built into all our over priced bills.

The worst thing about it is the fact that these companies are not required by law to inform you when you are close to your limit as is done in most other countries.

By the looks of it they would be better off without as customer

lala88 wrote: »
    By the looks of it they would be better off without as customer

Without who and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Loro78 wrote: »

I am not one of those "take what you can" people, but with this situation I do think that it would have been "good practice" to inform me once the data usage accumulated the first 200 Euros. Letting it go up to 982 Euros is similar practice than when the banks were offering 100 % mortgages to people. Pity, as up to this date I was a happy customer with Meteor...

You may not be one of those take what you can people. But you do seem to have an issue with personal responsibility.

I would like to think that meteor WILL help you out on your bill, but you have to accept that it is your bill, and I they don't, well then you just have to pay it.

If you have a good history with them (and I've no reason to doubt that) then they might help you out. But judging by your post history here, you have had these type problems before. Once bitten should make you twice shy.

• Advertisement

So because of your one situation, you're 100% certain she'll only have to pay a fraction of this bill? How can you be 100% certain? Bit unfair to raise her hopes, especially if it turns out you're wrong. You're not the only one doing so in fairness though.
    Why are people let state opinions/speculation as fact/sound advice so much on this forum? Unsubstantiated legal advice n' all...

Like i said have a look at the posters who are giving out this ''advice'' and see if you notice something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jesus why are people so quick to blame the company. Read your t and cs and don't put your name on **** you don't understand. Educate yourself, then sign up. Walking in blind as this person did is a recipe for disaster, as can be clearly seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jesus why are people so quick to blame the company. Read your t and cs and don't put your name on **** you don't understand. Educate yourself, then sign up. Walking in blind as this person did is a recipe for disaster, as can be clearly seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

I've also paid the price of this before, reluctantly. There is not a chance that I would have paid €1000 though.

The concept here is called Bill Shock. You unexpectedly stray into a high Tariff band, although the Tariffs are clear in your contract, it is not necessarily clear as to when they kick in.
    In the case of Mobile Data Roaming, when the uptake of smart phones began, there were several publicized cases of people being issued huge bills, when they unwittingly entered the High Tariff, i.e. by roaming and consuming data. As several complaints were made on this and the volume of people roaming with data enabled phone increased significantly, the regulators stepped in. An EU directive was drawn up and the networks were forced to comply.
    (http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/regulation/index_en.htm)
    In this case the principle was similar, by no means did the network hide the Tariffs, they were quite clear, though when you were consuming data when roaming was not as straight forward. The networks were forced to cut you off by default when you exceed €50 roaming. Let's remember that there is a wide and varied type of user young and old etc. who have signed up to these contracts. Some will be well aware when the data is turned on and they are roaming, others not. So this offers a nice level of protection, by default to prevent Bill Shock.
    Now, with Mobile Broadband we have a different situation, it's not a geographical movement that places you in a High Tariff, but exceeding a cap. The networks provide tools to check the usage as it is consumed. Let's also remember in this fact that the ability of users to access these tools will be varied. The Tariffs are clear on the contract but when signing the contract they will certainly not inquire into the level of computer proficiency, of if you understand the differences in streaming MPEG2 or 1080p HD.
    The difference here is that the number of Mobile Broadband users is relatively low. Most will be savvy enough to monitor their own usage and steer clear of exceeding the cap, the number of those who don't is pretty low, and when they do exceed, who really cares? it's not a huge growing market and although ~€1000 is pretty high in this case, it's not a figure that would grab many headlines if publicized.
    This puts the networks in a nice position, I'm sure it provides a nice revenue stream in this market, the bundle/package market is pretty competitive so I'm sure making x42 on the High Tariff is very welcome to them.
    The issue I have with this practice are:
    • The networks have the ability to cap your account (perhaps all don't advertise it) so this is preventable
    • The reason for the High Tariff is that exceeding your cap impacts other users who are sharing the bandwidth from the base station. If it is the network provider's main concern that you are impacting others, then a cap/warning would benefit them.
    • Implementing capping cause no cost overhead to the network provider.
      Similar practice in Data Roaming has been regulated by the EU already
    Now as many have suggested here, a little "haggling" with the network provider is often fruitful, as the network providers do know that the contract is clear and on their side, that a huge amount of publicity or focus from the regulator would not be in their best interest, but then again this is one small case so they may hang tough.
    What I don't fully get is that the networks should realize that Bill Shock doesn't benefit them in the long run. As I've been hit with this previously, as soon as my contract ended I've sworn the network involved will never get another cent from me, even though it's "my fault"
    Bill Shock losing customer is a topic that the networks are aware of, my only guess is that the revenue generated vs. customers lost makes it a worthwhile practice

Without who and why?

Who do you think? If shes racking up huge bills and trying to get out of paying them why would they want her?

• Advertisement

Because its always the big bad company out to get the poor little customer. Their are countless examples of it on here

Can you imagine the PR disaster this would create for them.?
    That's why I am so sure companies don't set out to be unfair - they don't want the PR bother in the first place. It's lack of accountability from customers and lots of kneejerk agreement from people only interested in one side of the story that leads to the bad PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Because its always the big bad company out to get the poor little customer. Their are countless examples of it on here

Ya OP should forget paying her rent, electric, food etc and give meteor a thousand euros for a months worth
    of broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Loro78

How do you know they didnt? Like i already said a text could be sent to the broadband number if they dont check that its the customers fault

No text has been sent, I just checked my broadband stick's text section again. There were texts coming in on three different dates during the month in question, but their contents was only a sequence of numbers and capital letters which are not making sense to me, e.g. M34Y972L1 - that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

campo wrote: »
    Ya OP should forget paying her rent, electric, food etc and give meteor a thousand euros for a months worth
    of broadband

Broadband that she used and exceeded her data limit.

That's why I am so sure companies don't set out to be unfair - they don't want the PR bother in the first place. It's lack of accountability from customers and lots of kneejerk agreement from people only interested in one side of the story that leads to the bad PR.

That pretty much sums up boards.ie

campo wrote: »
    of broadband

For the broadband she used?

Who do you think? If shes racking up huge bills and trying to get out of paying them why would they want her?

You obviously didn't read the OP.

She has paid her 50-60e average bills on time for 4 years. She is a very good customer. She racked up one bill by mistake

Loro78, have you asked them to accommodate a payment plan for you, for whatever you can afford per week? And have you asked them to give you a discount? I think they would see that as a fair request given the confusion.

And maybe it seems like some people are just being harsh for the sake of it, but most are just trying to advise you of the reality, which isn't easy to read, but it's far more beneficial than lying to you that it's all the company's fault.

Hope an arrangement that's manageable for you is agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I agree, has the op actually talked to meteor about this??

• Advertisement

You obviously didn't read the OP.

She has paid her 50-60e average bills on time for 4 years. She is a very good customer. She racked up one bill by mistake

By that logic everyone should rack up a huge bill and say it was a mistake

By that logic everyone should rack up a huge bill and say it was a mistake

Why would you be arsed racking up a huge bill?

The OP just needs to think of a legit reason for this happening to expediate things.

As I said, SHE WILL NOT BE MADE PAY this bill. (Well 90% at least)

Why would you be arsed racking up a huge bill?

The OP just needs to think of a legit reason for this happening to expediate things.

As I said, SHE WILL NOT BE MADE PAY this bill. (Well 90% at least)

Plenty of people out there doing it. This place is full of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

I use a dongle in Finland and 30GB (prepay) lasts me over a couple of months. I watch about three netflix episodes a week and fb skype etc, every day. This bill seems really high and very unfair. :( Hope you get sorted OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Thanks, MagicMarker. Yes, I have cancelled my direct debit - not out of any kind of "trying to get away with it" (as some here might probably straight away scream out now), but rather out of survival as otherwise my account would go into red numbers, meaning that my rent would bounce, my car insurance would bounce, etc.

I have seen a similar situation posted somewhere by an O2 customer, and O2 had the courtesy to actually cancel the charges as a once-off thing, as the customer was not aware that such an amount had accumulated.

I am not one of those "take what you can" people, but with this situation I do think that it would have been "good practice" to inform me once the data usage accumulated the first 200 Euros. Letting it go up to 982 Euros is similar practice than when the banks were offering 100 % mortgages to people. Pity, as up to this date I was a happy customer with Meteor...

I racked up €300 in 1 hour usage data charge with O2. I was teethering through my iphone and assumed I was covered as I have an unlimited package. O2 rang me and as they realised it was a genuine mistake gave a goodwill gesture where I only had to pay 25%. I was happy enough with this as like yourself it was a genuine mistake.

You can be sure Meteor have the same policy. Do not pay a cent til they are fair with you and broker a deal

dudara wrote: »
    This is turning into a late night Thunderdrome. We are 8 pages in, with numerous responses, but only one post from the OP. Plus, about 7 of the 8 pages have been pure repetition, with no real new content.

How about we all take a deep breath, and wait for the OP to return with an update.

dudara

Sorry for late replies/updates, but I am in college at the moment, so had no chance to look into this here until this evening. Must say, I did not expect a 15 page thread - looked twice as I thought that couldn't be the one I opened barely 24 hours ago.

Amazed how many people actually really seem to think that being charged 1000 Euros for one month of internet is okay - but I am not gonna argue around with those folks, better things to do in my life.

To those who wrote constructive posts - many thanks, highly appreciated!

Sorry for late replies/updates, but I am in college at the moment, so had no chance to look into this here until this evening. Must say, I did not expect a 15 page thread - looked twice as I thought that couldn't be the one I opened barely 24 hours ago.

Amazed how many people actually really seem to think that being charged 1000 Euros for one month of internet is okay - but I am not gonna argue around with those folks, better things to do in my life.

Im amazed that you think its ok to not pay for something that you used. Its also been shown its not the first time you've tried to get something for nothing.

You have better things to do? Like find ways of getting out of paying for something that you've used?

Also when you say ''constructive'' you mean the people who have given you ideas no how to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I would not waste my time arguing with them either. Personally, taking your post on face value, you only know your history with them and you only know what you can defend. There does however seem to be many complaints on this board alone about Meteor and their charging in the very area in which you have your complaint. There is an EU ruling on this matter (regarding limits, etc) but as always it usually comes down to the small print and also your history of your contract with them. I would suggest that you consider ComReg on this matter, dealt with them before and found them great, personal experience only, I am sure many out them would slate them. Hope you get it sorted.

And even if it was their times that they are online are from 1 to 5 pm.

We haven't heard from the OP either.
    Judging by THIS post it's not the first time the OP has had sudden financial difficulties/forgetfulness....

Well, now you hear from me. By the way - the fact that I did not reply instantly may be a sign that I actually have a life outside the internet, too and am not sitting in front of my computer 24/7.

Brilliant, congratulations - so you've found "evidence" that I had what you call "financial difficulties" or "sudden forgetfulness", you must be a very smart one (with a loooot of time on your hands and nothing else to do). What this has to do when I was asking for ideas/support with this problem here - I don't know, and you probably don't really know that either - you probably just thought it would help others to build their opinion of me a little better, fair enough.

Well, and yes - there was times I was "struggling" in the past, and I have "omitted" things I should have done (including checking a bloody internet usage feature I was only barely aware it existed!!!) but sometimes things like that are not that easy if you're trying to balance life with your child on your own and finishing your degree.

But I'm sure people like you never get into situations like this, because they know "it all", isn't that right? So, many thanks for your positive and especially constructive input, I am sure you will make the world a better place!

• Advertisement

Well, now you hear from me. By the way - the fact that I did not reply instantly may be a sign that I actually have a life outside the internet, too and am not sitting in front of my computer 24/7.

Brilliant, congratulations - so you've found "evidence" that I had what you call "financial difficulties" or "sudden forgetfulness", you must be a very smart one (with a loooot of time on your hands and nothing else to do). What this has to do when I was asking for ideas/support with this problem here - I don't know, and you probably don't really know that either - you probably just thought it would help others to build their opinion of me a little better, fair enough.

Well, and yes - there was times I was "struggling" in the past, and I have "omitted" things I should have done (including checking a bloody internet usage feature I was only barely aware it existed!!!) but sometimes things like that are not that easy if you're trying to balance life with your child on your own and finishing your degree.

But I'm sure people like you never get into situations like this, because they know "it all", isn't that right? So, many thanks for your positive and especially constructive input, I am sure you will make the world a better place!

Please will you stop with the sob story and trying to get people on your side.

That other thread shows it not the first time you've tried to use a sob story to get something for nothing. I am now wondering if I should ring AIB to give me back the 1400 Euros Your here trying to get €1400 thats not even yours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement