Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

982 EUROS METEOR BILL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Loro78 wrote: »
    Amazed how many people actually really seem to think that being charged 1000 Euros for one month of internet is okay
    Nobody's saying that - it is very expensive, but it's the rate you were being charged; the resultant bill can't have its rates changed now, but hopefully you'll get a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

lala88 wrote: »
    Please will you stop with the sob story and trying to get people on your side.

That other thread shows it not the first time you've tried to use a sob story to get something for nothing. I am now wondering if I should ring AIB to give me back the 1400 Euros Your here trying to get €1400 thats not even yours

OP has posted a comment discussing the topic of her thread and you are saying stop? Your post is pointless and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Loro78

Please will you stop with the sob story and trying to get people on your side.

That other thread shows it not the first time you've tried to use a sob story to get something for nothing. I am now wondering if I should ring AIB to give me back the 1400 Euros Your here trying to get €1400 thats not even yours

Darling, I'm not gonna start going down to your level and replying to your posts here - so this is the only reply you'll get from me.

I opened this thread (in "customer issues") as I was looking for other people who might have gone through the same or similar experience, who might be able to give me ideas what to do / support etc. I don't think I was "whinging" or "moaning" at any stage, mentioning my personal circumstances and the situation surrounding this issue were factual. I am also not "trying to get people onto my side" - I am not living in Kindergarden-world, so I don't play those kind of games anymore, but if you perceived it that way - my apologies.

I suppose people like you can be found on any forum - they seem just generally dissatisfied with themselves, their lives or whatever, and have found the internet as the perfect platform to relieve themselves of their negative feelings and their frustration. To be honest, in that respect I kind of feel sorry for you, but well - we all have our problems, don't we.

Wish you all the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Darling, I'm not gonna start going down to your level and replying to your posts here - so this is the only reply you'll get from me.

I opened this thread (in "customer issues") as I was looking for other people who might have gone through the same or similar experience, who might be able to give me ideas what to do / support etc. I don't think I was "whinging" or "moaning" at any stage, mentioning my personal circumstances and the situation surrounding this issue were factual. I am also not "trying to get people onto my side" - I am not living in Kindergarden-world, so I don't play those kind of games anymore, but if you perceived it that way - my apologies.

I suppose people like you can be found on any forum - they seem just generally dissatisfied with themselves, their lives or whatever, and have found the internet as the perfect platform to relieve themselves of their negative feelings and their frustration. To be honest, in that respect I kind of feel sorry for you, but well - we all have our problems, don't we.

Wish you all the best...

Well said :) Nail on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What happened to attack the post not the poster? OP you are coming across as very condescending here. You came looking for advice and opinions and people gave it. Seems you're throwing the toys out of the pram because you don't agree with it. Don't bother asking if you don't want honest responses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Amazed how many people actually really seem to think that being charged 1000 Euros for one month of internet is okay - but I am not gonna argue around with those folks, better things to do in my life.

To those who wrote constructive posts - many thanks, highly appreciated!

There are none deaf as those who do not want to hear. So basically you come on here but only want replies that tell you what you want to hear. That just sums you upon nicely in my mind. Blaming the phone company is not constructive. Telling you that you created this debt yourself but to talk to them about a payment arrangement is constructive. Trying to get you to realise that the child can't just watch HD movies online for free is constructive. Telling you that yet again you need to wise up on the financial responsibility front is constructive.
    Oh, I despair for the future!!!!

Anyway, it's all Meteors fault. They should have done more to stop you and they will certainly settle of 20% of the debt. There, is that better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

There are none deaf as those who do not want to hear. So basically you come on here but only want replies that tell you what you want to hear. That just sums you upon nicely in my mind. Blaming the phone company is not constructive. Telling you that you created this debt yourself but to talk to them about a payment arrangement is constructive. Trying to get you to realise that the child can't just watch HD movies online for free is constructive. Telling you that yet again you need to wise up on the financial responsibility front is constructive.
    Oh, I despair for the future!!!!

Anyway, it's all Meteors fault. They should have done more to stop you and they will certainly settle of 20% of the debt. There, is that better?

Point is they more than likely will not make her pay the full bill.

Strange how people rave on about terms and conditions when for example people are being refunded on PPIs as we speak.

The company should act in a responsible way.

E.G.
    Barman not serving someone when already drunk
    Bank not lending money to someone that cannot pay it back (we all know how that turned out)
    Garage not proceeding to replace more on a car than was agreed
    Electricity Company reporting unusually high usage (does happen when the neighbors jack your supply for a grow house, expect a bill of around 9-12k every 2 months)

If you basically have unlimited liability i.e. the ability to be billed thousands of euros just from watching Netflix, which as far as you know costs 7 euros a month then it should have warnings on it like

"WARNING, WATCHING STREAMING VIDEO WITH THIS SERVICE MEANS YOUR HOME IS AT RISK"

But they don't do that, because they want you to buy the service.

If the OP was ringing sex lines or something that are clearly advertised at a fiver a minute or something that would be a different story because this is easy to understand.

The view in Ireland seems to be the Company is always right due to T&Cs, in the UK complicated terms and conditions are deemed to be unfair.

As I said previously in the Netherlands there's clear guidelines on the operators already that they must notify you when you are close to your limit and must cut you off and give you the option of continuing service if you want to.

It strikes me a bit like having a cinema, charging 15 euro to see a movie and then charging 100 euros / minute for the ads at the beginning, when the cinema next door doesn't charge for ads but that cinema is on a fixed line rather than wireless.

I dunno, it strikes me a bit as "You are stupid because you didn't understand" shoe could be on the other foot as someone could be saying you don't know how an Endowment Mortgage works.

In reality though they never charge the whole amount, as I said already OP, ring them up and negotiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

RaoulPuke wrote: »
    OP has posted a comment discussing the topic of her thread and you are saying stop? Your post is pointless and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Ni im telling to to stop with her sob story that has nothing to do with anything.

Yes it does it shows its not the first time she tried to get something for nothing just likes she doing now. She came on here for one reason and one reason only to find a way out for paying, its as clear as day as the only people she will take on board are the ones giving her ideas of now to get out of it

• Advertisement

What do you think the point of T&Cs on a contract are so?

Wish you all the best...

Ah yes you are trying to get people on your side if not why bring up the sob story of your being a student and having a child? You seem to think because of that you have some sort of right to be treated different

You've pretty much admitted you've come on looking for a way out when you say your looking for ''ideas''

There are also people like you all over the internet trying to get away from their responsibility.

Like i said you've already been on here trying to get something for nothing by using a sob story

By that logic it goes both ways/ Seeing as how people are very quick to bing T&C up when they claim to be in the wrong

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah ok, so all terms & conditions are meaningless? Are you one of those freeman ejits by any chance?

Nobody held a gun to the op's head and forced them to agree to the T&C's, if they didn't like them they could have gone to another provider.

Dont take a genius to figure it out really. The OP is trying to find a way weaseling of this will leave Meteor then go join O2 or whoever and the same thing will happen all over again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stick to the facts, the facts right now is that the contract is legally binding and sound.

If you or the OP believe the contract is unlawful then take this to Comreg.

Stop speculating, what you are saying right now is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Dont take a genius to figure it out really. The OP is trying to find a way weaseling of this will leave Meteor then go join O2 or whoever and the same thing will happen all over again

What proof have you of this????

Last time I checked charging for data usage was perfectly legal.

Last time I checked charging for data usage was perfectly legal.

It may be legally right, but is it morally right to charge someone 1k for Broadband usage for the month....

If Meteor forced the OP to pay the bill, I for one would cancel my emobile account and go to 02 as I would want nothing to do with a company like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The fact that the usage counter on your online account is not working will go in your favour(you could not tell when you had reached your 20GB limit)

That's not relevent as she stated in her opening post that she only tried to check after she made the call to them.

campo wrote: »
    It may be legally right, but is it morally right to charge someone 1k for Broadband usage for the month....

If Meteor forced the OP to pay the bill, I for one would cancel my emobile account and go to 02 as I would want nothing to do with a company like that

Morals don't come into it once you sign a contract.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    That's not relevent as she stated in her opening post that she only tried to check after she made the call to them.

It is relevant as even if she know about it and did check it previously it was not working, so she had no way of knowing she was going over her limit

Now if the counter was working and she never checked it then that would be a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Is it morally right to use nearly 1000 worth of broadband and then try to get out of paying it?

OP entered into a contract, the terms of which he either didn't understand or ignored, not a problem for Meteor.

Morals don't come into it once you sign a contract.

You might not believe they do but a company with no morals will not last long as bad publicity will travel very fast, and bad PR is a death nail for many companies

wexie wrote: »
    Is it morally right to use nearly 1000 worth of broadband and then try to get out of paying it?

OP entered into a contract, the terms of which he either didn't understand or ignored, not a problem for Meteor.

I don't believe a person can use a thousand euro worth of broadband in a month , I do believe that Meteor can charge some crazy rate once you go over a certain limit...and where is your proof she is trying to get out of paying it

She came here to ask was this a normal service and where does she stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You might not believe they do but a company with no morals will not last long as bad publicity will travel very fast, and bad PR is a death nail for many companies

Absolutely, but this isn't an issue with morals.

The OP entered into a contract, the terms of which were freely available to him/her, he used the service provided, as per contract and now the company wants payment, again as per contract.

How can you possibly say that's morally wrong?

wexie wrote: »
    Absolutely, but this isn't an issue with morals.

The OP entered into a contract, the terms of which were freely available to him/her, he used the service provided, as per contract and now the company wants payment, again as per contract.

How can you possibly say that's morally wrong?

How can I say it is morally wrong to charge someone a thousand euros for a months Broadband that usually cost 50e without any prior warning that she was going over her limit, they never throttled her speed and or closed her account...they just let it build up and build up and now expect to be paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What do you think the point of T&Cs on a contract are so?
    By that logic it goes both ways/ Seeing as how people are very quick to bing T&C up when they claim to be in the wrong
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Ah ok, so all terms & conditions are meaningless? Are you one of those freeman ejits by any chance?

Nobody held a gun to the op's head and forced them to agree to the T&C's, if they didn't like them they could have gone to another provider.

Of course they are not meaningless, but at the same time they cannot be confusing.

Exposing a customer to such a high liability with so many factors at play is not good business practise.

If you rent a car, its made clear that if you do not take the extra insurance you are liable for any damages up to the cost of the excess, you have to initial this in three seperate places and the amount of liability is clearly pointed out.

The company should be allowed to charge for excess data, but at the same time there should be a responsibility on the company to notify the customer that they have exceeded their plan

Which Meteor already do for roaming:
    http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/t_and_cs/
    Meteor will provide you with an automated notification of applicable data charges in each roaming territory within the EU you visit, together with a warning as to when you reach 48 euro (inc. VAT) of data usage whilst Roaming. These messages may be opted-out of by following the direction provided with same. Once you opt-out of receiving same, Meteor shall not send same for any future roaming usage, unless you opt back in to receiving such messages. Please allow up to one (1) business day for any alterations opting-in or out of receiving these messages to be effected.

Meteor shall also provide you with a notification when your usage reaches 60 euros (inc. VAT). This notification will also act as a bar from any future data usage whilst Roaming, unless you confirm you wish to continue to use the data roaming services. If you select this confirmation you will continue to be billed for your data roaming at normal rates, with no further notification or warning.

They also do it for mobile broadband at home:
    http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Data-Usage-Notifications/td-p/72790

OP didn't receive any notification.

So my question would be why the OP did not receive any notification of going over their allowance or why they did not get any sort of reasonable notification when she hit 500 euros ? 1000 ? 10,000 ? where does it stop ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement