Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with 5 year old in dublin...

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

the girlfriend and wee boy are coming down from donegal to stay in dublin this weekend in blackrock ...last time they were down we went to the zoo just so not doing that again so i'm just looking for any ideas people would have on what activities we could do to entertain him mainly! I want us all to have a fun weekend of it so I could try to convince her to move down here over time :P

Anyone with any discounts for likes of tayto park or that would be great too ;)

The dart/bus family ticket is handy so open to anywhere really that will be in that range!

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

mcg1987 wrote: »
    the girlfriend and wee boy are coming down from donegal to stay in dublin this weekend in blackrock ...last time they were down we went to the zoo just so not doing that again so i'm just looking for any ideas people would have on what activities we could do to entertain him mainly! I want us all to have a fun weekend of it so I could try to convince her to move down here over time :P

Anyone with any discounts for likes of tayto park or that would be great too ;)

The dart/bus family ticket is handy so open to anywhere really that will be in that range!

Cheers! :D

Imaginosity in sandymount is brilliant for kids that age. Near a luas stop.

Wax museum and Viking splash tour also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bigneacy wrote: »
    Imaginosity in sandymount is brilliant for kids that age. Near a luas stop.

Wax museum and Viking splash tour also.

Imaginosity is over priced (charges adults in) and mainly has Ikea toys in it. My kids don't like it at all...

Wax museum, the dead zoo, the natural history museum...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The viking splash is good craic. I brought my nephews on it and they really enjoyed it although they are slightly older. Good luck with trying to get her down!

http://www.vikingsplash.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Cazale wrote: »
    The viking splash is good craic. I brought my nephews on it and they really enjoyed it although they are slightly older. Good luck with trying to get her down!

http://www.vikingsplash.com/

Haha it'll likely still be bucketing down rain come Saturday but good idea!! thanks! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Imaginosity is an excellent destination for kids, true it costs a bit to get in, but most kids will lap it up. My only complaint is that it was starting to look a little jaded and careworn when we were there last April. But with the amount of use it gets, it's not really surprising.

You could also try Marley park, two good playgrounds, plenty of free parking, go hunting for conkers, ice cream van in front of the big playground. Go on Saturday to the market in the courtyard and buy them a tasty and simple lunch to eat alfresco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Natural History Museum. Brilliant animals in there. Stephens Green feed the ducks and there is a playground beside the eternal soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

ark.ie
    The Ark is a unique, purpose-built cultural centre in the heart of Dublin's Temple Bar, where children aged 2 -12 can explore theatre, music, literature, art, film, dance and more. Our programme of world class performances, exhibitions and creative workshops changes every few weeks, so expect a different experience every visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

My cousin home from Oz brought his young fella (6) to the Science Gallery in Trinity and he loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Science gallery is exhibition is finished I think.

A place my cousins really enjoyed was the leprechaun museum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

January wrote: »

Wax museum.

Would be hilarious if it was free...as it is it's just grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

The aquatic centre for a swim. They have a kidzone with a lazy river, a pirate ship and slides but it's can be expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The aqua zone part of the aquatic centre is closed at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If he likes making stuff MakeShop on Leinster Street is cool,

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreMakeshop

They have a couple of walk in workshops that are suitable from 4 upwards

https://sciencegallery.com/makeshop/workshops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A borrowed dog, a ball and go to the beach or park.
    Hours of amusement. Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's an aquarium in Bray, isn't there? That could be good.

My nieces love going to the National History Museum when they're in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Thanks to everyone for their replies and I hope this thread will be useful to someone else in the same predicament!

we ended up going to the wax museum on Friday afternoon...€29 for 3 of us without vouchers so I would advise anyone that's thinking on going to look out for vouchers online because they seem to always be available we found out after...still decent enough value though as you could be there for good few hours...think we were there for around 2 and all in all I think it was worth it...especially the fright the two of them got in one of the rooms but you'll have to go yourself to see what I mean! :P It was hilarious for me!

We dandered about the town then till we could walk no more and headed home!

On Saturday we went to the National Sea Life centre in Bray and had a voucher from Kelloggs for this and I booked my ticket online for €8.50 instead of 12.50 and with the voucher we only had to pay for the wee man and herself got in free so was €17 in for 3 of us. again it was worth it in my opinion because I'd never been and he loved all the different fish! They got to touch some of them, feed them and he got few medals as prizes which he was chuffed at! And since it was such a great day we sat outside on the Bray promenade and had a picnic before exploring bray...not that there was much to explore...that's only part I would change is shouldn't have stayed in Bray but sure it's done now!

On sunday we just walked about the town so herself could shop before they headed back home again on the bus All in all a great weekend! :D

Thanks again! Will be back for more when they come down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Thanks for posting what you got up to.

We're from Donegal but live in Dublin and raising our two little girls here (1.5 years and 5 years old) and even we never know what to get up to at weekends!

On good days we would pop into Phoenix park where there is a lovely playground for kids and also the visitors center is interesting too.

Great info here, thanks.

Advertisement