Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Waterford.

Options
  • 01-10-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey everyone,

I know there are a good few of these threads knocking about but I said I'd ask your opinion anyway. I'm moving to Waterford in about three weeks and I will be working in the IDA industrial estate on the Cork road. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about where to live. There seems to be plenty of apartments for rent down by the Quays?? Any areas I need to avoid? I drive but how bad is traffic in the city? Any info would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

traffic at the front of the city is like dublins m50 in rush hour.. standstill.. all due to the local council..
    Id you look about you can find houses the same price as apartments, up around hillview etc, its close to the IDA's back entrance.
    Areas to avoid are down to personal preference really.. I stay out of town on student nights as its a hell hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Where on the Quay are you looking at apartments?

Personally I wouldn't recommend my friends or family to live in apartments off the Quay is areas like o'connell street, penrose lane etc. I wouldn't venture down those areas after dark.

I agree with 0rt, I would recommend areas around Hillview, Norwood, Ashley Court, Hazelbourne. These areas are within walking distance of the IDA & city centre.

Would avoid Templars Hall and parts of Lismore Park as these areas are student havens.

You'll get nice places out on the Dunmore Road but you'll be battling the traffic daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

wendydoll wrote: »
    Where on the Quay are you looking at apartments?

Personally I wouldn't recommend my friends or family to live in apartments off the Quay is areas like o'connell street, penrose lane etc. I wouldn't venture down those areas after dark.

I agree with 0rt, I would recommend areas around Hillview, Norwood, Ashley Court, Hazelbourne. These areas are within walking distance of the IDA & city centre.

Would avoid Templars Hall and parts of Lismore Park as these areas are student havens.

You'll get nice places out on the Dunmore Road but you'll be battling the traffic daily.

Traffic is not bad in the mornings out that way anymore, it's busy but moves steady

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thanks to the outer ring road there's no issue with traffic really if you live on the Dunmore road and work on the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joxxer

Thanks for the replies, areas around the quays on daft are scotch quay, grattan quay, adelphi quay. Whats gracedieu area or shandon court on the upper yellow road like does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

joxxer wrote: »
    Whats gracedieu area or shandon court on the upper yellow road like does anyone know?
    Jammed if heading IDA for 9 and coming back at 5. But passable.
    Used to live in the Ballybricken and my daily commute to IDA through Upper Yellow Rd took 20 min tops, junction by the Mercy school being the nightmare. The same could be done in 10-15 mins on a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Gracedieu would be grand, you'd be in work in under ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Gracedieu would be grand. Can take the Carrickpherish road to the IDA to avoid school traffic at the traffic lights around Congress place/Upper Yellow road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

OP I don't think you should obsess about traffic. Wherever you are you will get to the IDa Industrial park in 20-25 minutes, it is nothing like Dublin traffic. I would concentrate on where I am living and is there parking. Of the places you have mentioned Adelphi Quay stands out for me as there is a barrier controoled car-park for the residents, you are in town in the centre of everything but without city-centre noise and disruption. Obviously you will need to consider rent and the condition of the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Traffic in waterford is anywhere near as bad as dublin. It can be busy but its rarely at a standstill.
    Personnaly id avoid anywhere with quay in its name. I also wouldn't be staying too near the ida estate because of its close proximity to the college.
    Dunmore road area is nice. Plenty of houses to choose from, shops, resteraunts and a few nice pubs.
    Another option not mentioned is if you like the quite life is kilmeadon. Out in the countryside with a nice new housing estate and only 10 minutes from the estate.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies, I ended up getting a place on Parnell street. Went through an agency called bookaroom, have to say very helpful people there, drove us around to a number of different places, couldnt have been nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

parnell street???:confused:

why did you bother setting up a new thread if you ended up on parnell street???

not to mention the bookaroom - of course they're nice wait until the trouble comes!!!

omg i can't believe this!!!
    so where else you'd been to before you decided on parnell street??? why didn't you search the daft yourself and ask for the opinion here??? believe me, people who reply to your thread ar far more honest than people from any letting agency in Waterford...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

not to mention the bookaroom - of course they're nice wait until the trouble comes!!!

so where else you'd been to before you decided on parnell street??? why didn't you search the daft yourself and ask for the opinion here??? believe me, people who reply to your thread ar far more honest than people from any letting agency in Waterford...:(

Did he/she insult you by moving to Parnell Street?

I'm not from Waterford, I have no idea about the areas. I saw places in adelphi quay, mount suir, and a few others around the city. What can't you believe?

Is there something wrong with parnell street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Is there something wrong with parnell street?
    Decent place but not too fancy. Might be loud due to traffic. Not easy to find a parking space and parking permit would be required.

beazee wrote: »
    Decent place but not too fancy. Might be loud due to traffic. Not easy to find a parking space and parking permit would be required.

I've got a place in olympia court. Parking provided. The apartment itself is in the back so hopefully the noise won't be too much!

please accept my apologies joxxer :o

please accept my apologies joxxer :o

Ill think about it.......

Ill think about it.......

oh pleeeeease forgive me :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

Parnell st would be so handy! You lot are being a bit dramatic! Sure apart from the odd roudy night by the foundry, the rest of the time the city is dead. You'll be grand joxxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Thanks for the replies, areas around the quays on daft are scotch quay, grattan quay, adelphi quay. Whats gracedieu area or shandon court on the upper yellow road like does anyone know?

Gracedieu is a breeze. I live around there. Traffic is minimal and has a connecting road direct to the IDA which never gets clogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I've got a place in olympia court. Parking provided. The apartment itself is in the back so hopefully the noise won't be too much!

I lived in Olympia Court for years. Traffic at rush hour will not be ideal but you're still no more than 15 minutes from the IDA during heavy traffic. If you're on shifts etc it will be fine, no traffic will see you there in half that time.

The apartments are well built so you don't hear much from the neighbors and they're well in from the street so that not an issue either. Not too mention they are lovely looking apartments! Ollie the landlord is sound and you couldn't get closer to all pubs etc. City centre is less than 5 min walk so I think you landed on your feet there!

Advertisement