Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITCarlow Games Development. Any good?

• 01-10-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Looking at studying games development or computer science and was wondering anyone going to ITCarlow could recommend the course? Explain what it entails?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I did games.

It's been a while for me so things HAVE changed.

You will probably be doing a fair amount of math. You'll be learning how to manipulate objects in 2D space.
    You'll be doing languages like C# and maybe Java, they are kinda similar.
    You'll be learning how to code basically.
    Reading and writing to files, taking input from the keyboard and using it to make a game. We made a text based BlackJack game and then a 2D Asteroids game in first year (in 2005-ish?).

You might learn about Object Orientation. Where instead of writing all the code for Truck 1 and all the code for Truck 2, 3, 4, 5 (and so on) you write a blueprint for a Truck and make 10 (or more) copies instead, since they share so much code.

There is a lot to learn and you'll need to learn how to approach problems in a new way. What you'll take from either course is more along the lines of 'How to Code' rather than 'How to write C++ code'.

I must have learned something of use as I am in a games dev job right now (Right this second! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SeanEdward96

I did work experience in a game studio up in Dublin(bitSmith games) and it got me really interested in it, ITCarlow looks like one of the best places to go :)
    Was it hard to get into a job after finishing college?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Its a programming intensive course, I know lads that got on board thinking it was more design orientated and hated it. On the plus side its a better course than software development. I graduated this year btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Its a programming intensive course, I know lads that got on board thinking it was more design orientated and hated it. On the plus side its a better course than software development. I graduated this year btw

Could you give a run down of subjects and projects that you did?
    It'll be good to see how the course has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Could you give a run down of subjects and projects that you did?
    It'll be good to see how the course has changed.

Yeah sure, I have a mega thread on here
    that I did while going through college but the main focus is still C++\C#\C

In 4th year we had to pick from a list of projects we could do, primarily to do with the Kinect but some with Havok, Ogre3D and mobile development . From what I gather they moved from lower level stuff that ye would have done like game boy dev to web development in 3rd and 4th year. For real world modelling we used box2d and Havok. All of the above using scrum btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement