Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Change Poll

• 01-10-2013 9:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We`re playing with the idea of changing the forums name to a better name suited towards pet and pet ownership as we feel its more of what the forum has become.

So we`re asking YOU the users to help us decide.

In no particular order here is what we`ve come up with.
    If you have another suggestion feel free.

1.Pets
    2.Pets and companion animals
    3.Pet Care and Welfare Forum
    4.Pets and pet care
    5.Pets Forum

New name for the Animals and Pets Forum 62 votes

Pets
    0% 0 votes
    Pets and Pet care
    4% 3 votes
    Pets and companion animals
    12% 8 votes
    Pets Forum
    3% 2 votes
    Pet Care and Welfare Forum
    12% 8 votes
    Pet Care Forum
    62% 39 votes
    No change to current title
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How about a poll with those 5 options plus 'NO CHANGE' and 'ANOTHER NAME'

Be a lot clearer IMO and saves ya having to work through the countless posts that will obviously ensue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

3 is what I'd go for as 1/2 is to bland (imo) and 4/5 don't cover the "I've found a dog/cat/insert animal what do I do" as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A poll should be going up now. There's always a bit of a delay in posting polls as main text comes first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Poll up and stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

the good-natured forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'd keep the current name because it's the name that I found on the board when I first came to this place and because it's "only" in the third position in the drop-down menu of REC section.
    Any other proposed name would send this forum down in the list :-)

Either "Pet Care and Welfare Forum" or leave it the same, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

all animals forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think the animals part should stay in, it's not just about pets, what about the wildlife people ask about?

Pets and animal care?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is already a wildlife forum.
    One of the reasons that I'd like to see the name changed is because this forum as it is attracts quite a few queries relating to eliminating rodents, cats etc, and in my view, such threads are utterly unsuitable for this forum which is, in reality, a pet forum.
    We can ban such threads, but my thinking is that a forum for pets only will not attract these sorts of posts in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Didn't know there was a wildlife forum, sorry, must browse more forums!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

DBB wrote: »
    One of the reasons that I'd like to see the name changed is because this forum as it is attracts quite a few queries relating to eliminating rodents, cats etc, and in my view, such threads are utterly unsuitable for this forum which is, in reality, a pet forum.
    We can ban such threads, but my thinking is that a forum for pets only will not attract these sorts of posts in the first place!

We have a wildlife forum for wildlife.
    Theres a hunting forum for vermin and as was mentioned the DIY forum also gets a lot of those type of threads.

Theres a Zoology forum for more scientific discussion of animals.

This forum has become more about pets and their care and as DBB says we think these threads regarding vermin,wildlife etc have other fora better suited for discussion there.

It also means that we can change the forum rules to reflect some of these changes ie in gearing the forum more towards pet ownership and pet care.

Also just for clarification if the poll goes the way its going and the "Pet care and Welfare" name is chosen this wont change the rules regarding animal welfare agencies posting as agencies and/or posting links etc to these agencies.
    That rule will stay the same and remain in place.

DBB wrote: »
    The Nature & Bird Watching Forum

To add another Mod to the mix :D, it's only a suggestion folks. We're just chatting behind the scenes here and trying to fine tune our Forum to make it easier for us to Mod and newbies/regulars to understand our ethos, which has veered towards what we'd class as "pets" and their care/welfare & not all animals in general.

I think you should separate Animal Welfare and Animal and Pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Just my two cent- but I like what itss called mainly because it's top of my saved forums list alphabetly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Pet Animal Issues.

The wild animal and farm animal folk already have their own (very successful) forums or fora or whatever the plural of forum is.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I am not too sure which name would be the best but I do believe it would be a good idea to change the current title. The word "animals" is too broad.Quite a few times, some questions have been posted here when they would have received better answers in the nature forum. For example questions about wasps or spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hellrazer wrote: »
    We`re playing with the idea of changing the forums name to a better name suited towards pet and pet ownership as we feel its more of what the forum has become.

So we`re asking YOU the users to help us decide.

In no particular order here is what we`ve come up with.
    If you have another suggestion feel free.

1.Pets
    2.Pets and companion animals
    3.Pet Care and Welfare Forum
    4.Pets and pet care
    5.Pets Forum

why??

In my opinion the current name sums everything the forum is...

why??

In my opinion the current name sums everything the forum is...

As said above, the "animals" part of the title seems to attract a fair number of posts that really don't belong here... This is a pet animals forum, whilst other animals issues are more correctly dealt with in other forums.

This poll is open until tomorrow evening (9.27pm) and what a tie breaker it could be.

I, for one am really surprised at the almost 50:50 tie.There's no mad competition here folks, it is what it is. You decide.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Scrap the poll and go with "2 legs good/4 legs better".

Hi folks,
    The poll is now closed.
    And I think we can all agree that phew! What a close-run poll!
    But the people have spoken, and we have a new name for our forum:
    The Pet Care and Welfare Forum.

Thanks so much to you all for your interest and feedback. We're working away in the background to make some changes to the charter that better reflects what the forum has become, and to clarify what it has become over the years.
    We'll keep everyone posted.
    Thanks again,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement