Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

got an email last night sky movies available free for a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Automatically or you have to call and arrange it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I got an email also but it's sign up to sky movies and get one month free offer!

I'm already on free sky sports and movies so unfortunately not much good to me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Automatically or you have to call and arrange it?

you have to ring up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

kooga wrote: »
    you have to ring up

They'll stick you on another 18 month contract...

jca wrote: »
    They'll stick you on another 18 month contract...

Ehh, no they won't!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ehh, no they won't!

Ehh, as you put it, they did with me even though I was "a lucky customer" and picked for a free trial.

Ehh, as you put it, they did with me even though I was "a lucky customer" and picked for a free trial.

I've rang up loads of times about different offers. Never anything about having to sign a new contract. You don't have to sign up for a new contract if you don't want to.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

me neither.

but i always clarify it with them

• Advertisement

me neither.

but i always clarify it with them

I clarified it with them too but found out when "my eircom" finally got up and running that Eircom had put me on a new contract from the day they rang offering me a free trial of eVision.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

I clarified it with them too but found out when "my eircom" finally got up and running that Eircom had put me on a new contract from the day they rang offering me a free trial of eVision.

I got offered the six month trail for evision last May - I made a point of confirming them that there was no contract involved. I rang them yesterday to cancel and there was a little bit of hassle canceling (transferred to different staff etc). Eventually they "agreed to cancel" - I was a little bit surprised that they made no offer to extend - I would have considered this if offered

kranbo wrote: »
    I got offered the six month trail for evision last May - I made a point of confirming them that there was no contract involved. I rang them yesterday to cancel and there was a little bit of hassle canceling (transferred to different staff etc). Eventually they "agreed to cancel" - I was a little bit surprised that they made no offer to extend - I would have considered this if offered

very surprised as i rang them on Dec 2nd to get the experience pack switched off. anyway had a chat with the rep he noted i was on the free 6 months which would be coming to the end in mid january, would i be interested in keeping it on. Said no as i only use the box to record programmes, he offered me an extension of 6 months if i wanted it and would place on the account. Told him i would get back mid january.

Anyway to clarify it i avail of another 6 months free I will have to then keep evision for the final 6 months of my 18 month contrat whic would be €15 x 6 a month.

will UTV Ireland be in HD on the evision box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

While I'm no fan of eircom, but is it a little disingenuous to take a 6 month free offer with no intention of subscribing?

You don't give any specific reason for cancelling, i.e. service, variety, technical, billing?

It costs the operator money to buy a box, send a technician to install it, run all the ancillary services, servers, datacentres, customer services to run it.

They won't stay in business long if people keep taking advantage of them!

The more operators the better the competition which is needed for people in apartment buildings!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Andy454 wrote: »
    While I'm no fan of eircom, but is it a little disingenuous to take a 6 month free offer with no intention of subscribing?

You don't give any specific reason for cancelling, i.e. service, variety, technical, billing?

It costs the operator money to buy a box, send a technician to install it, run all the ancillary services, servers, datacentres, customer services to run it.

The more operators the better the competition which is needed for people in apartment buildings!

Why do you think it was disingenuous to cancel? As I said I was offered a free trial for 6 months (I am with Sky) so I decided to install it on a tv in the bedroom not connected to Sky. The service was ok with a very limited selection of channels - also the price has now increased to €15 monthly. While Sky are dearer they offer (imo) a much better product therefore I decided to cancel.
    Me taking advantage of them!!!are you joking? Eircom's offer of a free trail was obviously to encourage new business - they take the risk in relation to the expenses etc in installation in the hope they get new customers to sign up.

• Advertisement

Sneaking people into a new 18 Month contract while offering them a "free" trial helps Eircom's cause too:mad::mad:

Sorry Andy453?

i had no intention of getting the tv service i only wanted my broadband upgraded to efibre. i was offered six months trial with no commitment. My six months will end in mid januray i am not keeping the box. (is that ok with u)

My reason is that in 2012 i moved away from pay TV and went FTA in both satellite and terrrestial. I am happy with my set up which i have invested quiet a lot of time and money in.

in relation to my equipment, i will plug out my box disconnect the hdmi cable and place all the contents in the original eircom box along with the instructions. I will then contact eircom who will arrange collection. In the interim i have 12 months left with my phone and broadband contract. I do not intend changing providers as eircom is the best service where i live.

Now andy as this is the forum for evision you might post your own experience of evision. Thank you

got a letter today from eircom:

setanta pack is going up from €16 to €18 in mid January

in addition there is an offer of either two months free sky movies or sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

And utv Ireland is being added in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

a friend is getting evision installed in early january with the intention of quitting sky but if it goes wrong I will get a call so a few questions??

1. Is the evision box wireless?

2. Does it have initial teething problems and what are they?

3. The have efibre BB at 45mb down and I know evision knocks this back by 10mb but any other glitches?

4. and finally does evision eat into ones BB allowance? eircom says no!! the allowance is 30gb per month and they may use on demand for films etc

With utv ireland joining its a no brainer as they are getting 12 months free and then 15pm after that. sky is 32pm at the moment. They only watch soaps and soarview box was too unreliable to switch.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    a friend is getting evision installed in early january with the intention of quitting sky but if it goes wrong I will get a call so a few questions??

1. Is the evision box wireless?

2. Does it have initial teething problems and what are they?

3. The have efibre BB at 45mb down and I know evision knocks this back by 10mb but any other glitches?

4. and finally does evision eat into ones BB allowance? eircom says no!! the allowance is 30gb per month and they may use on demand for films etc

With utv ireland joining its a no brainer as they are getting 12 months free and then 15pm after that. sky is 32pm at the moment. They only watch soaps and soarview box was too unreliable to switch.

No the box isn't wireless if it's far away from the router they use home plugs. I had that setup and it worked perfectly.

I had no teething problems at all.

I was on the 50/20 profile at the time and they dropped me to the 35/10 stable profile everything worked fine.

I can't help you with the download allowance as I'm on the unlimited package. Would they consider upgrading to the unlimited package to be safe side? I think it's an extra €5 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Hi
    I can answer the first 3. the third is a little trickier. I have Evision since it first came out in Sept 13. It's been excellent and I couldn't fault it.

1. it does not use wireless. If you have more than one TV they use the mains electricity to get the signal to the second box via homeplugs. This is very reliable.

2. Not aware of any teething problems it worked first time for me. As usual getting used to the remote control takes a little while and there is a default parental guard password which you should get off the installer.

I havnt downloaded anything from the on demand movies section yet but it looks painless and goes on your next bill.

3. A non HD channel uses about 3Mbps. A HD one closer to 10Mbps . If you are watching one channel and recording another at the same time I assume that doubles.

4. I have a bundle with unlimited downloads so this has never come up. I would be surprised if eircom couldn't distinguish the TV stream from other data and exclude it from your allowance. No harm to check the FAQ on their website it should be in there in writing.

Finally I just got 2 months free sky movies which was nice.. just need to remember to cancel before the 2 months ends. Not sure how long that offer is on for.

Fasterbetter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

The TV works off your allowance. Go with unlimited it will save you money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    The TV works off your allowance. Go with unlimited it will save you money

Not correct. The IPTV multicast stream is not included and so does not reflect in your allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Kensington wrote: »
    Not correct. The IPTV multicast stream is not included and so does not reflect in your allowance.
    Is there a RF connection on this box to distribute to multirooms or if you already use homeplugs is there a high capacity one.I am wondering if there is a copper solid core lead available from your eircom bb socket to the router to improve signal transfer. My unlimited bb does give occasional dropouts freezing and only reads 50mb when at the router.Has anyone tried these solutions.Engineer says it is because I am a good distance from cabinet.

John Dough wrote: »
    Is there a RF connection on this box to distribute to multirooms or if you already use homeplugs is there a high capacity one.I am wondering if there is a copper solid core lead available from your eircom bb socket to the router to improve signal transfer. My unlimited bb does give occasional dropouts freezing and only reads 50mb when at the router.Has anyone tried these solutions.Engineer says it is because I am a good distance from cabinet.

No. There's no RF connection. Eircom will insist on using their own branded homeplugs. If you want it in another room you'll have to get a second box installed, the second box won't have pause rewind or record features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

yeah, you're right actually,

the On Demand Service however will use your allowance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Couple of questions on eVision, apologies if already answered, I couldn't find definite answers.

1) I'm on 100/20 profile on Eircom eFibre, if I signed up to eVision with multiroom and HD, what would my profile drop to?

2) I know the multiroom boxes cannot record and that's fine, but can a multiroom box access a recording from the main box via the network? This is a make or break feature for me really, seeing as I can't use video senders with the eVision boxes. For example, if I record something on the main eVision box, can I watch it in the bedroom on a multiroom box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

1) 85/20

2) No although the hardware is seemingly capable of it just not enabled in the eircom software (or perhaps more specifically, disabled)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

1) 85/20

2) No although the hardware is seemingly capable of it just not enabled in the eircom software (or perhaps more specifically, disabled)

Thanks for that.

Shame about #2, not sure why they would want to disable that (or not enable it) as it would be very useful, and it's not like it's cheating in any way - it would just be very convenient to be able to watch recorded programmes from any location in the house.

It's a big negative for me with the way I currently watch TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

Is it possible to upload movies from a hard drive or watch off a usb stick?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

does on demand have rte player and tv3 player ie a catch up service?

i see both utv sd and utv hd are on the evison epg. i wonder will utv hd be part of the free hd pack? like rte 1,2 and tg4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

i see both utv sd and utv hd are on the evison epg. i wonder will utv hd be part of the free hd pack? like rte 1,2 and tg4

Wouldn't imagine so as Utv are a private non national station.

utv hd will be part of the HD addon pack €5 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Questions about the eVision service:
    1) Are there subtitles on the tv channels?
    2) Can you turn the subtitles on permanently?
    3) If you pause a program for a few minutes and then continue watching the program, does the subtitles keep in sync with the program?

Right got eVision in on Friday, numerous calls to tech support and customer services I cannot get my Experience pack channels for some bizarre reason. On the verge of cancelling the whole lot and demanding they take it all back if this is not sorted on Monday. Has anyone else had this missing channels problem? Experience pack was on my account from the day I ordered, as was HD, multiroom and Setanta (all of which are working fine).

Completely conflicting information from everyone I speak to in Eircom - from staff telling me try again in a few hours, to others telling me 24 hours, to others not knowing how to reboot the boxes etc.

Also does anyone know what the video out socket is at the back of the box? I thought it was an S-video connection - certainly looks like one - but it's slightly bigger as my S-video cable doesn't fit. The manual of course tells me zero about it, even though it's pictured on the diagram of the back of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What? You're giving them from Friday to Monday to sort it? Three days? FFS

The S-video connector is for the proprietary scart adapter, will not work with anything else

What? You're giving them from Friday to Monday to sort it? Three days? FFS

The S-video connector is for the proprietary scart adapter, will not work with anything else

Well what do you suggest I give them? More? Less? I'm being told a lot of different things by different people.

Where do I get this proprietary adapter? Basically I just want composite video to feed into a video sender. I have audio from the RCA sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

PauloMN wrote: »
    Well what do you suggest I give them? More? Less? I'm being told a lot of different things by different people.

Contact them Monday you'll most likely get someone in tech support, not a call handler or sales agent
    Where do I get this proprietary adapter? Basically I just want composite video to feed into a video sender. I have audio from the RCA sockets.

The installer would provide a scart adapter on install. If you contact Eircom they'll most likely post you one. You'll need a scart to composite adapter

Contact them Monday you'll most likely get someone in tech support, not a call handler or sales agent

The installer would provide a scart adapter on install. If you contact Eircom they'll most likely post you one. You'll need a scart to composite adapter

Have already been on to tech support, they were not able to fix it. They tried some stuff (even though one of them didn't know how to reset the box) but no joy. Last chap I spoke to told me he needs to open a case on it but could not tell me how long this will all take. So I just said cancel the lot, but I can't cancel it at the weekend apparently according to the customer services guy I wax put on to.

He seemed to suggest that it can take 24 hours for a service to be added (even though the service was already on my account) and that because I got the installation at 5 pm on Friday that it could take until 5 pm Monday to show on my box.

The whole thing sound ridiculous to me.

Right got eVision in on Friday, numerous calls to tech support and customer services I cannot get my Experience pack channels for some bizarre reason. On the verge of cancelling the whole lot and demanding they take it all back if this is not sorted on Monday. Has anyone else had this missing channels problem? Experience pack was on my account from the day I ordered, as was HD, multiroom and Setanta (all of which are working fine).

Completely conflicting information from everyone I speak to in Eircom - from staff telling me try again in a few hours, to others telling me 24 hours, to others not knowing how to reboot the boxes etc.

Also does anyone know what the video out socket is at the back of the box? I thought it was an S-video connection - certainly looks like one - but it's slightly bigger as my S-video cable doesn't fit. The manual of course tells me zero about it, even though it's pictured on the diagram of the back of the box.

I'd say they'll sort it by Monday. It's a great service in fairness.

just to update,

my free home trial is due to finish on wednesday so rang up to cancel, and was offered a further three months trial again with the option to cancel evision mid april. i also got two months free sky sports.

re pricing just to update and this is where they knock upc/sky for customer service

i signed up in july up for 18 months fibre phone and 6 month Tv so €55 a month and if i opt to keep on the evision it is only a €10 extra rather than the €15 which it is now. Thats great from eircom that they don't pass on price increases mid contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

just to update,

my free home trial is due to finish on wednesday so rang up to cancel, and was offered a further three months trial again with the option to cancel evision mid april. i also got two montyhs free sky sports.

re pricing just to update and this is where they knock upc/sky for customer service

i signed up in july up for 18 months fibre phone and 6 month Tv so €55 a month and if i opt to keep on the evision it is only a €10 extra rather than the €15 which it is now. Thats great from eircom that they don't pass on price increases mid contract.

We took up the 6 months trial and same story, called up to cancel and got 3 months extension, kept the €10 pm essential and got 3 months Sky Sports and Sky Movies added on to the trial.

Found out we were capable of getting the 70mb max speed but were configured for 45mb so eVision would work. Complained about the buffering etc. on youtube and am now getting close to 50mb consistently and the TV service seems a lot better than when we started the trial first with extra channels. We might cancel Sky going by the experience over the last 4 days of using eVision, nice service. One thing we noticed pretty much straight away was superior sound quality over Sky, wasn't expecting that!

Got sorted today with my missing channels. Simply speaking to someone different who was familiar with the problem seems to have made the difference. I'm a little surprised this kind of info is not available to all tech support agents via a knowledge base of some sort, but it appears that it isn't. The guy I spoke to today was able to fix it over the phone no problem.

Oh, and they're sending me my SCART interface as well.

• Advertisement

Got sorted today with my missing channels. Simply speaking to someone different who was familiar with the problem seems to have made the difference. I'm a little surprised this kind of info is not available to all tech support agents via a knowledge base of some sort, but it appears that it isn't. The guy I spoke to today was able to fix it over the phone no problem.

Oh, and they're sending me my SCART interface as well.

Thats good, it's a very good service. Can't get the missus away from sky unfortunately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Ever since I signed back up with Eircom in May, for fibre and evision I always found the most knowledble agents the web chat ones, they seem to have access to multiple areas of the system, plus I kept every log of the chat in case of future issues.

Furp wrote: »
    Ever since I signed back up with Eircom in May, for fibre and evision I always found the most knowledble agents the web chat ones, they seem to have access to multiple areas of the system, plus I kept every log of the chat in case of future issues.

Good idea! Will do that next time (which hopefully won't happen!).

Furp wrote: »

Yep, I do the same, nice guys in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What is the make/model of the eVision TV box and can the remote be replaced by the Logitech Harmony set of universal remotes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement