Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

What is the make/model of the eVision TV box and can the remote be replaced by the Logitech Harmony set of universal remotes?

Main box is Netgem N8200 and is on the Logitech Harmony system. My Harmony 525 works perfectly with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Anyone having problems with sound on the main eVision box?

Keep getting "popping" noises in the audio while watching tv.

Not happening on the multiroom box - which is also fine in place of the main box and rewinding doesn't reproduce.

Very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

ok

my latest bill arrived on friday.....and my free trial period was not reflected in the bill and i was charged for BT sports even though i had requested it to be turned off before the two month offer had expired.

Anyway i rang them and cancelled and sent the evison box back in the post on friday evening.

Its all over

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

kooga wrote: »
    ok

my latest bill arrived on friday.....and my free trial period was not reflected in the bill and i was charged for BT sports even though i had requested it to be turned off before the two month offer had expired.

Anyway i rang them and cancelled and sent the evison box back in the post on friday evening.

Its all over

I agree - Eircoms customer service is a joke - I have had issues with regard to my contract when I accepted their "6 month Evision trial". At this stage(after various attempts) I couldn't be bothered trying to resolve this - I will see out my extended contract and move to Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

kranbo wrote: »
    I agree - Eircoms customer service is a joke - I have had issues with regard to my contract when I accepted their "6 month Evision trial". At this stage(after various attempts) I couldn't be bothered trying to resolve this - I will see out my extended contract and move to Sky

They did the same to me when I accepted the free trial. Just couldn't be bothered chasing them up anymore. Like yourself I'll see it out and change provider then. After my disastrous experience with sky dsl bb I'd be very reluctant to give them a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭ffocused

You will be able to end your contract when your price goes up in the next few weeks.

http://support.eircom.net/article/pricingupdate

At the bottom it states if you want to cancel your contract you can do so within 30 days of receiving your notification letter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Beginning to wonder have I made a terrible mistake switching to eVision. Have had to reset my modem a few times since getting eVision (actually was having to do this every so often before but of course with eVision now my television is affected as well as my other internet devices when the modem decides to bomb out).

And Eircom this morning sent me my cancellation "pack" (which was supposed to come with the engineer, but the engineer knew nothing about it). It's got a letter to Sky I just need to fill in, and all very conveniently, it even comes with an addressed envelope... to UPC lol!!!!

As for eVision, between the missing channels on install, the picture breakup that happens sometimes, and the modem bombing out, I don't think it's worth the money tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like a faulty modem, did eircom supply you with a new one or are you using an old one?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

A friend got evision recently and I had a look yesterday, modem/router is in hall so eircom use home plugs and I don't think they are up to much, it keeps loosing connection. And they got letter for sky as well, which I thought was a bit cheeky, even said send back card!! Picture looked ok, its sd, but I would prefer a cable from router for stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Homeplugs can be troublesome, people should always insist on a cable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Had trouble when we got the free trial of eVision originally, seems that even having something plugged in to the second socket of a double socket with the homeplug in the other can cause problems. Have kept the homeplug in its own socket now and works better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Sounds like a faulty modem, did eircom supply you with a new one or are you using an old one?

No new modem, but I've only had eFibre for about 6 months, I don't know if you'd consider than an old modem. It's the F1000.
    Homeplugs can be troublesome, people should always insist on a cable

Yeah I'm going to get rid of the home plugs in the long term, I've already got a CAT5 cable running down to the telly, but I need to run another couple of them.

what is the option if router is in hallway ?? It looks as if hole would need to be drilled through a wall to take cable and then run along skirting board??

swoofer wrote: »
    what is the option if router is in hallway ?? It looks as if cable would need to be drilled through a wall and then run along skirting board??

Yes, a 2 pair cat5 phone cable stapled to top of skirting

can eircom make up a lan cable there and then??

can eircom make up a lan cable there and then??

Its an rj45 data port extension, it gives you an ethernet socket near the TV and they use a factory ethernet cable supplied to connect the eVision box

what is the option if router is in hallway ?? It looks as if hole would need to be drilled through a wall to take cable and then run along skirting board??

Mine was setup using the eircom supplied homeplugs and it worked flawlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

jca wrote: »
    Mine was setup using the eircom supplied homeplugs and it worked flawlessly.

Works very well for me too. Homeplug for main tv & 1 extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Yes, a 2 pair cat5 phone cable stapled to top of skirting

And if that happens to cross a hallway.

In my case that's not an option at all, the. Home plugs have worked not a bother for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone know what the usb on the front of the box is for? Can I put movies on a sub stick and play them on the evision box?

Del007 wrote: »
    And if that happens to cross a hallway.

In my case that's not an option at all, the. Home plugs have worked not a bother for me

Sometimes homeplugs are required, but Eircom are reluctant to let the installer use them and have started restricting their use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sometimes homeplugs are required, but Eircom are reluctant to let the installer use them and have started restricting their use.

Just to add that this was not the case for me. We got a couple of homeplugs without any problems.

Has anyone had any issues downloading non copyrighted material via torrents? While my normal download and upload speeds are fine, I'm not getting very high speeds when downloading torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mezcita wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues downloading non copyrighted material via torrents? While my normal download and upload speeds are fine, I'm not getting very high speeds when downloading torrents.
    Couple of the main sites have been shut down lately, and this may* restrict the listing of seeders.

*Don't torrent anymore

=-=

Has anyone any idea what model the homeplugs supplied with the eVision are? They're Eircom branded, so never really know what Devolo model they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 andaman

I recently got evision,not sure if anyone knows this here or not but any info appreciated,its basically working fine but the picture quality isn't great.

I wondered is there any type of HD because im getting grainy enough quality,i have tried all the different resolutions in settings but its still grainy,i know it relies on internet but my net is getting pretty fast speeds and there is nothing dragging on the bandwidth that should affect the quality of the picture.

Maybe evision doesnt have great picture quality i'm not sure but i have seen a few people talk here about extra money for HD? or something like that,i got no option like that and the quality of my picture is important to me,my tv is HD ready anyone know is it just all around evision just hasn't got great picture quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

andaman wrote: »
    I recently got evision,not sure if anyone knows this here or not but any info appreciated,its basically working fine but the picture quality isn't great.

I wondered is there any type of HD because im getting grainy enough quality,i have tried all the different resolutions in settings but its still grainy,i know it relies on internet but my net is getting pretty fast speeds and there is nothing dragging on the bandwidth that should affect the quality of the picture.

Maybe evision doesnt have great picture quality i'm not sure but i have seen a few people talk here about extra money for HD? or something like that,i got no option like that and the quality of my picture is important to me,my tv is HD ready anyone know is it just all around evision just hasn't got great picture quality?

I'd get Eircom to look into this as we recently got it installed and I've been impressed with the picture.

It's possible to the get the Irish HD channels for free if you call them up and ask. Takes them twenty minutes to activate.

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »
    I'd get Eircom to look into this as we recently got it installed and I've been impressed with the picture.

It's possible to the get the Irish HD channels for free if you call them up and ask. Takes them twenty minutes to activate.

Thanks for the info i will get onto them tomorrow hopefully i can get the picture improved somehow.

Are you using home plugs or is the evision box directly connected to the router? I had it on trial using home plugs and the picture quality was fine, not as good as sky but certainly better than saorview which I think is dire.

How is your box connected? Hdmi or scart? HD Ready was a marketing gimmick, it meant the tv could display HD but quite often they didn't have a hdmi port, only DVI for higher resolutions which doesn't carry sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The cable we got with our box was scart. Picture was fine. When we swapped it out for HDMI is made a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Also make sure you box is set to output the same resolution as the TV when the installer did mine he left it on an sd resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Another thing that can affect picture quality seems to be sharing the same socket as the home plugs. If it's a double socket, leave the other socket unused and don't plug anything into the home plug. Using the home plugs on an extension lead with multiple sockets also seems to be a bad idea. If you have enough sockets to try this it should show if the quality issues are due to the fibre speed or the internal connection in your home.

Once the picture quality looks good you can try plugging something into the home plug and see if it holds up.

I rang them didn't get anywhere then i connected it directly to the modem but it didn't improve really,i'm not sure what way to go about it now.
    It feels kind of strange to be having to be complaining a lot when it is working and doing what it says on the tin but its just not great quality or a very crisp picture which for some reason i thought it was going to be,i had already got the saorview stations on my tv free which where probably a bit better than what im paying for now.
    Also i said my tv was HD ready i assumed it was or full HD since its an LG 32 i just bought 2 or 3 months ago,are all new tvs not HD nowadays no?but i'm not sure,im looking for the manual but i get amazing quality say when i stream UFC events and pay for it so i know its capable of great definition.

I rang them didn't get anywhere then i connected it directly to the modem but it didn't improve really,i'm not sure what way to go about it now.
    It feels kind of strange to be having to be complaining a lot when it is working and doing what it says on the tin but its just not great quality or a very crisp picture which for some reason i thought it was going to be,i had already got the saorview stations on my tv free which where probably a bit better than what im paying for now.
    Also i said my tv was HD ready i assumed it was or full HD since its an LG 32 i just bought 2 or 3 months ago,are all new tvs not HD nowadays no?but i'm not sure,im looking for the manual but i get amazing quality say when i stream UFC events and pay for it so i know its capable of great definition.

How is the tv connected, what type of cable?

How is the tv connected, what type of cable?

Hdmi cable

Hdmi cable

Set the evision box to 1080p and try connecting it to another full HD tv. You do realise there will only be a handful of HD channels, RTE two is the one to test on.

Set the evision box to 1080p and try connecting it to another full HD tv. You do realise there will only be a handful of HD channels, RTE two is the one to test on.

I just added the HD channels and they are a lot better,i get theres only a few HD channels but its the quality of all the other channels in general that i'm disappointed with.
    Just too grainy i think i'm gonna have to try to cancel it i mostly ordered it for the setanta bt sports package and they are just not acceptable for me to have signed up for 18 months.

I just added the HD channels and they are a lot better,i get theres only a few HD channels but its the quality of all the other channels in general that i'm disappointed with.
    Just too grainy i think i'm gonna have to try to cancel it i mostly ordered it for the setanta bt sports package and they are just not acceptable for me to have signed up for 18 months.

Setanta is terrible poor quality on satellite too. Have you tried another tv, you only have an old HD Ready tv. What's the model no of the tv?

Setanta is terrible poor quality on satellite too. Have you tried another tv, you only have an old HD Ready tv.

I just bought the tv in october its an LG 32 inch was over 300 i think its probably Full HD i don't have one better than that.

I just bought the tv in october its an LG 32 inch was over 300 i think its probably Full HD i don't have one better than that.

Model no?

32LN540V

• Advertisement

32LN540V

It's full HD, set the evision box to 1080p. SD channels will look poor on a full HD tv, especially the likes of TV3 which is a lower resolution than most SD channels.

It's full HD, set the evision box to 1080p. SD channels will look poor on a full HD tv, especially the likes of TV3 which is a lower resolution than most SD channels.

Yeah i had done that already maybe my expectations were too high.

3e is worse especially on sky.

Thats a good tv with lots of settings but it may need tweaking. The best option is to set the output to match the transmission and with SD the closer you are the worse it looks, so if you watch a HD programme and then switch to SD you will see the difference and so on. You dont say how close you sit.

But if you have the evisions box set at 1080p and then watch say TV3 you are upscaling a bad resolution from 576i and then the TV is upscaling as well. That TV has 7 picture modes, (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, Eco, Expert1, Expert2.

The best out of the box mode is usually Cinema followed by standard. However, you may be able to tweak these further in the settings. Vivid is a no go and is only used for shop settings. Expert1 and 2 allow you to tweak your own choice.

You have to experiment. I cant access an evision box at the moment but it may have an auto setting and that means it will switch resolution depending on the channel and the tv will adjust automatically as well. This means there will be a delay when you go from channel to channel. There is another item " Enhanced Noise Reduction" I would switch that off. And you probably have individaul settings for colour, contrast, brightness, etc and sharpness, the sharpness one can be tricky so check that. Once you are happy save the settings and as you use hdmi for evision the TV remembers them.

And how did you get the HD channels because according to the website, they cost more, ie 8 euro for experience and 5 euro for HD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Setanta is terrible poor quality on satellite too. Have you tried another tv, you only have an old HD Ready tv. What's the model no of the tv?

Setanta has a superb SD picture on satellite. 720 x 576i.

Much better than Sky SD.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Setanta has a superb SD picture on satellite. 720 x 576i.

Much better than Sky SD.

It's a low bitrate though (well it was, may have improved since). Compare it to BBC One SD. Sky SD is also low bitrate to make the HD look better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

It's a low bitrate though (well it was, may have improved since). Compare it to BBC One SD. Sky SD is also low bitrate to make the HD look better

Yeah they upped it a few years back, it was beyond atrocious before that.

Sky Sports 3, 4 and 5 added to the Sky Sports add-on, the add-on is also increasing to €36 per month (currently €30 per month) from April. No sign of Sky Sports in HD being added though.

Interestingly this makes eVision the cheapest way of getting Sky Sports - if you're not fussed on HD.
    Evision: €15 + €36 = €51 per month (eVision Essentials + Sky Sports)
    Sky: €29 + €36 = €65 per month (Original Bundle + Sky Sports)
    UPC: €30 + €40 = €70 per month (Digital Value + Sky Sports)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's very good news for Eircom - sports is now the major reason to keep pay TV but most sports fans would simply have ruled out evision while they didn't have the full Sky Sports pack.

• Advertisement

It certainly is good news, though just noticed no sign of Sky Sports News or Sky Sports F1.

If they could add those two channels, along with Eurosport, coupled with their €18/month Setanta/BT Sports package, they'd have a pretty damn unbeatable pay TV offering on the sports front.

Advertisement