Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

redser7 wrote: »
    Excellent, the little people will be relieved :)
    Thanks a lot
    No disney but which did start WWIII in my house :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

eek. Mind if I ask quickly, are you happy enough with it in general?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

eek. Mind if I ask quickly, are you happy enough with it in general?
    Thanks
    Yeah have had no problems so far only issue is missing some the channels that the kids and missus wathed e.g disney,utv,sky 1,sky living and ssnews myself, but not life ending and hopefully they will keep adding more channels

Brilliant, thanks again. We'll go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Got evision in on Thursday,Have to say the software used is good, Im very happy with it, Only one station disney xd would complete the pack for me if it was available as my little fella likes it.

Great. Was there much cable laid for you? Concerned how they'll do that for us. Main phone plug is just inside the hall door. Tv is in sitting room on far side of the house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No cabling is required between the modem and eVision box(es): the signal is carried via your mains electricity using homeplugs. As long as both the modem and TV plug into mains sockets on the same fuseboard it'll work seamlessly.

Great, thanks BeerNut. A nifty solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

The Eircom IPTV line up does not include Sky Sports 3 and 4.
    Sky carry most of its golf on Sky Sports 4.
    So - no Eircom IPTV for me until Eircom carry Sky Sports 4.
    I'm staying with Sky.
    Seamus
    P.S. Actually it's a bit silly to carry only 2 of the 4 Sky Sports channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

The Eircom IPTV line up does not include Sky Sports 3 and 4.
    Sky carry most of its golf on Sky Sports 4.
    So - no Eircom IPTV for me until Eircom carry Sky Sports 4.
    I'm staying with Sky.
    Seamus
    P.S. Actually it's a bit silly to carry only 2 of the 4 Sky Sports channels?

Masters is on setanta

Agree on the 2 of 4 sports channels but i think this is to do with sky as much as anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Masters is on setanta

Agree on the 2 of 4 sports channels but i think this is to do with sky as much as anything else.

Sky are regulated by Ofcom to provide other platforms Sports 1 & 2 only not 3&4 or SSN or any of their entertainment channels. Sky movies is struggling so they are probably happy to provide those channels.

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but is it not up to Eircom to decide what channels it wants to carry on its IPTV network.
    Of course it has to pay for them.

As a follower of golf I want Sky Sports 4.

Incidentally I have a STB (it's a MAG250) that outputs channels from [MOD]SNIP[MOD] and it has all the Sky Sports channels. Even though I have a download speed of 7 mbps the stability of the line is not great.
    And yes, I have reported this fact on numerous occasions without any improvement. Too much buffering.

However when Eircom Fibre arrives - due any month now - I would be interested in connecting to their IPTV network. Of course it would have to be free of the type of buffering I have just now. Maybe Eircom's Fibre will provide a more stable signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but is it not up to Eircom to decide what channels it wants to carry on its IPTV network.
    Of course it has to pay for them.

Sky have said Sky Atlantic channel will not be available on other platforms, so even if Eircom agree to pay, Sky won't let them.

Sky Atlantic is ON the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] platform.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD]

[MOD]This service seems like it might not be legit, so please no discussion of it here.[MOD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

[MOD]SNIP[MOD]

@ 29.99 per 30 days, Sky is cheaper @ €28,has more channels with more features like Sky Go and On Demand etc... No comparison ^^

My Sky package is €96 that includes HD, Movies and Sports channels.
    The [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package for €30 includes HD, Movies and more Sports Channels compared to Sky including Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 & 4.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD] also has a Movie library of 200+ movies.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD] is away better value BUT it does require a stable broadband connection.
    I have 7mbps download and because of an unstable broadband connection there can be a lot of buffering and freezing.
    In fairness to the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package I went to a friends house and the STB (set top box) worked perfectly on the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package.
    Eircom Fibre is coming to me soon and I am hoping this will provide me with a more stable broadband connection that will allow me ditch SKY for [MOD]SNIP[MOD].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

[MOD]SNIP[MOD]

The fact that service has Sky Atlantic makes me wonder of its legality. Sky advertise Sky Atlantic as an exclusive channel due to their deal with HBO. Seems fishy to me.

The IPTV provider of the service - whose name I may NOT mention - is providing their service in a number of EU countries including Spain, Cyprus and Portugal. There may be others that I am unaware of.
    If they are not legit, surely the authorities in one of the aforementioned countries would have have them blocked by now?

What was the point in all that editing when on post #264, it clearly says the name.

Totally pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What was the point in all that editing when on post #264, it clearly says the name.

Totally pointless.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had missed it, edited out now.

This sort of thing is very much against the rules of boards.ie

Hello bk (mod).
    It is not my intention to break any of the boards.ie rules. Apologies for whatever rule I may have broken in my earlier posts.
    However, the fact is, viewing TV via the Broadband connection - namely using the IPTV protocol - is here to stay.
    There are dozens of companies in Europe involved in this IPTV explosion.
    How does anyone know if any of them is illegal?
    Google 'IPTV' and one has all the information needed to access dozens of companies outputting TV stations using the IPTV protocol - just like Eircom is doing over its Fibre network.
    Cheers.

bk wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing that out, I had missed it, edited out now.

This sort of thing is very much against the rules of boards.ie

No problem!

I was thinking it was dodgy alright when I saw they had Sky Atlantic available when it is a Sky exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

How are people finding evision? I have it a while now and am impressed with the picture quality. Only problem I have is that the series recording seems to be reset every so often and I have to set them again.

Anyone know if anymore channels are set to come on or when the on demand service will start? Will it be possible to get the rye player on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Gest wrote: »
    How are people finding evision? I have it a while now and am impressed with the picture quality. Only problem I have is that the series recording seems to be reset every so often and I have to set them again.

Anyone know if anymore channels are set to come on or when the on demand service will start? Will it be possible to get the rye player on it?

What exactly is impressive about the picture quality?

Asking as a potential subscriber btw - is it better than sky or upc and how?

Kensington wrote: »

Not better than Sky but it might be better than the channels on UPC and it's much better in terms of orice.

But consider the price, Sky is a premium service so you pay a premium price for it and the same for UPC but with less channels.

If you don't mind having a reduced broadband speed and only watch RTÉ and the basic channels then eVision seems like a great service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Kensington wrote: »

To my un-technical eye it seems to be at least equal to sky. I guess giving the price I was expecting it to be a bit worse.

I would love to know what the scope of the evision box is. Will there be on demand, rte player, browser etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Not better than Sky but it might be better than the channels on UPC and it's much better in terms of orice.

No, it's not. Not even close.

https://www.eircom.net/tv/channels?gclid=COOTpJe5gL8CFaJe2wodT0sAGQ

From that list, I can't see any of the Sky channels (Sky 1, 2, Living, News etc) and there's no ITV 1-4, all of which are basic fare on UPC.

As for price? Add in the "extra" (but still no Sky or ITV) channels and the HD pack and it's more expensive than the comparable UPC product but with much slower broadband.
    If you don't mind having a reduced broadband speed and only watch RTÉ and the basic channels then eVision seems like a great service.

Yeah, that sums it up really. I've never seen eVision in action but this might be of interest from yesterday's Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/pricewatch-readers-queries-1.1831798

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

From that list, I can't see any of the Sky channels (Sky 1, 2, Living, News etc) and there's no ITV 1-4, all of which are basic fare on UPC.

As for price? Add in the "extra" (but still no Sky or ITV) channels and the HD pack and it's more expensive than the comparable UPC product but with much slower broadband.

The question was around picture quality not channel content. It is loads cheaper for me than UPC (and a hell of a lot less invasive) - I still get at least 60Mbps so i am not sure how that sits with a lot slower broadband other than it is plenty fast for me.
    Yeah, that sums it up really. I've never seen eVision in action but this might be of interest from yesterday's Irish Times:

Without doubt the worst part of eVision is eircom who definitely have a lot of problems when it comes to customer service. It is the only reason why I would not recommend eVision to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

apparently 10000 people have signed up for evision so far. Most of them probably on the free 12 months offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The question was around picture quality not channel content. It is loads cheaper for me than UPC (and a hell of a lot less invasive) - I still get at least 60Mbps so i am not sure how that sits with a lot slower broadband other than it is plenty fast for me.

Yeah but 'AlanS' was talking about the number of channels. 60 meg is pretty fast alright, as fast as anyone needs it so no difference there. My frame of reference is my parents' eircom broadband which is woeful, but I don't think they're on efibre, even though they live in Dublin.

I think when you look at the "bundle" prices there isn't much to be saved. If you already had eircom phone and were just adding UPC tv, then it's definitely more expensive.

But sure look, if you have eVision and you're happy with it, that's all that matters, like I said I've never seen it in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thejkman

Getting error code 400 since i got my Evision installed a month and a half ago tech support still has not fixed after numerous phone calls and tweets absolute joke,
    i was suppose to get 6 months free but they will probably fix it on the 6th month

Very true about the channels, my apologies as I didn't realise.

My auntie has eVision as a Multi room service with Sky being the main TV service.

I was using it on Sunday and I have to say it works really well, the UI is clean and simple, nice bright colours and the channel changes are surprisingly quick.

I expected a lot of buffering when switching channels but there was none of that.

You could download/stream/upload and watch tele at the same time.

However towards the end of the night the box turned off and wasn't right for the rest of the night, not sure what was the issue tbh.

I'd definitely considering getting it as a Multi room box on top of my Sky Subscription only 1.) I'm a Vodafone customer and there's no IPTV (yet) and 2.) I'd quite like my 100/20 speeds to remain untouched :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yay found it!!... been looking for a thread discussing Eircom's TV&BB offering....

I'm with UPC and am getting screwed imho pricewise. Eircom's pricing is attractive right now so I was looking at it as an option.

I've the pig that is the Horizon box so I assume the Eircom box is at least as good/bad, and probably even better. I have HD which I would miss if I was to lose it. I've unlimited BB at decent speed (advertised is 100MB)...

Reading the above and particularly that IT article it looks like it might not be all that great as a option. We only have the basic selections of TV channels on UPC so the number on EVision won't bother us too much. As long as the DVR works reliably we'd be happy, I don't like the sound of series record being lost though.

All in all sounds like something we should hold off on would u agree?

UPC contract up in October so we have a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

That IT article is a close match to my own experience. Even though I dumped eVision, my broadband rate is down over 10Mb from the 48/49Mb I used to get.

Chris

That IT article is a close match to my own experience. Even though I dumped eVision, my broadband rate is down over 10Mb from the 48/49Mb I used to get.

Chris

Tx Chris.... wow, not good. So you've always had Eircom BB (almost 50Mb), added EVision (reduced BB speed), then got rid of EVision and have a lesser speed than you started with!!?

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Evision is very basic in its channel line up. no utv or sky channels. yes it has the record feature but eircom broadband is 10 euro more expensive than vodafone broadband (40euro versus 50 euro for unlimited) and Vodafone wont cap your speed for tv. If you can get sky with vodafone it would be a better option than evision for the 8 euro extra. Either that or keep UPC in my opinion.

Evision is very basic in its channel line up. no utv or sky channels. yes it has the record feature but eircom broadband is 10 euro more expensive than vodafone broadband (40euro versus 50 euro for unlimited) and Vodafone wont cap your speed for tv. If you can get sky with vodafone it would be a better option than evision for the 8 euro extra. Either that or keep UPC in my opinion.

Sky isn't an option for us nor is the Saorview craic as we can't put up a dish where we are. But thanks for the advice defo sounds like sticking with UPC even though I hate having to fork over so much each month for Horizon is better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think when you look at the "bundle" prices there isn't much to be saved. If you already had eircom phone and were just adding UPC tv, then it's definitely more expensive.
    Where UPC is available, I always say go for UPC, but Eircom reaches father.
    thejkman wrote: »
    Getting error code 400 since i got my Evision installed
    You try it directly connected to the router yet?
    You could download/stream/upload and watch tele at the same time.
    On Eircoms 50meg BB, and five the e-vision takes up about one fifth of the bandwidth.
    However towards the end of the night the box turned off and wasn't right for the rest of the night, not sure what was the issue tbh.
    Could have been the automatic sleep mode?
    Leslie91 wrote: »
    nor is the Saorview craic
    I'm assuming you live in an apartment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

got evision installed today as I was offered it free for six months. was only interested in upgrading to efibre. any way will see how it goes. set the series link to record true blood and the walking dead.

will do some regular posts.

tks

Got it installed myself recently. We did have our first engineer appointment cancelled so it got off to a bit of an initial bad start.

First impressions, it takes a bit of getting used to coming from Sky+HD but you quickly adjust.

I was a bit wary at first of losing the Sky channels, but I have to say I actually haven't found myself missing them at all really. Certainly wouldn't be in a rush to be back to paying €36 a month for them. We still always manage to find something to watch and its an added bonus you don't have to wade through pages of several variants of channel along the likes of "XYZ 2 Extra 2 HD +1" fillers and rubbish.

We didn't get the HD package, but the HDMI upscaler is VERY good on the box and the SD channels look pretty nice, far better than the Sky+HD box we had previously ever managed to do. Some of the channels do look very bitrate compressed, I don't know if this is a source problem rather than the eVision system itself - they probably source the channels from the Sky/Astra feeds which can be questionable quality at best.

Channel changing is very quick, about 1 second from changing channel to the picture and sound playing.

The multiroom box is tiny, quickest comparison that comes to mind I can give is about the size of a sandwich :)

Few noticeable absences that would be "nice to have" - you have to remind yourself though that the service is just €10/month and you get a good bit of content with a very functional service for that price:

- The Now/Next doesn't allow you to grab programme info ("Synopsis") on anything other than the current program on the channel you are watching right now, you need to enter the full program guide, but,
    - The full program guide and recording planner has no Picture-In-Picture feature, entering either of these menus quits live TV, making background mooching a lot more disruptive
    - No on-demand or catch-up, although the icons are there in the program guide with a "coming soon" message so looks like it is in the pipeline
    - No Pay Per View movie service, no Box Office pay per view and if you do subscribe to Sky Sports on eVision you only get Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2
    - It'd be great if you could tie your Netflix subscription to, or buy it via, your eVision service, and have it streamed via the TV service, Virgin Media do offer something like this over in the UK so not unheard of
    - Ability to record more than two programmes, I don't know if this is a physical limitation of the box or a deliberate soft cap to maintain stability

Other than that it is pretty good value for €10/month for just the basics and €5/month for multiroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

@kensington it sounds like a reasonable service for the price, mine us due for installation Friday with the HD and multiroom, couldn't justify the SKy price anymore when truth be told we watch so few channels.

It is pretty reasonable, there is obvious room for expansion but good price -vs- service.

Another thing I meant to mention was the multiroom is a receiver only, no DVR functionality, so you can't pause/rewind/record on it. It would be nice if it was possible to at least stream recorded programs from the main DVR box on the multiroom.

Tx lads for letting us know how it is going roll on the end of my UPC contract!.

Have it a few months at this stage and it's been great. We got the HD channels for free. Talk to the sales guy and see what they can do. TO be honest I can't discern any difference. The picture quality in general is clearer/smoother than the UPC we had before.
    One thing to think about - you can use homeplugs instead of cable. We were looking at drilling through the sitting room wall and blowing out a big hole and running tick cable everywhere. The guy reluctantly gave us a set of homeplugs. Lovely and clean installation. OR you can buy your own set cheaply before the guy arrives to install it. They seem to have an issue handing these over. Cost no doubt.

Have it a few months at this stage and it's been great. We got the HD channels for free. Talk to the sales guy and see what they can do. TO be honest I can't discern any difference. The picture quality in general is clearer/smoother than the UPC we had before.
    One thing to think about - you can use homeplugs instead of cable. We were looking at drilling through the sitting room wall and blowing out a big hole and running tick cable everywhere. The guy reluctantly gave us a set of homeplugs. Lovely and clean installation. OR you can buy your own set cheaply before the guy arrives to install it. They seem to have an issue handing these over. Cost no doubt.

How much can those homeplugs be got for? you can get em in PC World or Powercity can you?

I didn't know it, but googling it turns out you can get them from eircom ...
    http://www.eircom.net/accessories/homeplugs/

Here is the amazon search ...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tp+link+homeplug&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=30287422673&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9023627050103810362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8g2ogtkl27_b

I was cold called about getting the TV and eMobile etc. They are very keen to get people on-board. I would say there is room for sweetners in order to get you to sign up to the 18 month contract. You could try talk to a sales person and say you'll sign up only if they provide homeplugs instead of cable as you don't want the mess.

May have been just the individual installer.

The guy that came out to do ours last week had a homeplug each for the modem and two set top boxes and the first thing he did was set up the homeplugs at each location. Didn't have to ask and they never mentioned anything to us about cabling options at any stage during the order.

Cool. My guy kept saying his manager wouldn't be happy about it but I just insisted and got them. If I hadn't known about them in advance I think he would have went straight for the nuclear option - big drill and a hundred cable nails!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

my order yesterday included home plugs as the router is in the home office in the extension, so my evision tv is opertaed via homeplugs.

my evision is free for 6 months including basic and experience packages.

will probably not keep it as the basic package is no advantage over saorview and a fta satellite set up which is what i have.

• Advertisement

kooga wrote: »
    my order yesterday included home plugs as the router is in the home office in the extension, so my evision tv is opertaed via homeplugs.

my evision is free for 6 months including basic and experience packages.

will probably not keep it as the basic package is no advantage over saorview and a fta satellite set up which is what i have.

You are just taking it for the phone and BB ultimately?

All 3 need to work for me to be happy as I don't have the Sky/Saorview/satellite option. It's UPC or Eircom for me.

Advertisement