Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay ON Timer

Options
  • 01-10-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am looking for some info about a delay ON timer. What I've seen so far are multifunction types, rail mounted. Seem complex and expensive. I just want a single function delay on timer that is simple to wire and set, with 0 to 10 minutes delay, 220 volts. It will be mounted on an oil boiler, just after the thermostat. If anyone knows a wholesaler that has a selection, I'd appreciate their name.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

cantescape wrote: »
    I am looking for some info about a delay ON timer. What I've seen so far are multifunction types, rail mounted. Seem complex and expensive. I just want a single function delay on timer that is simple to wire and set, with 0 to 10 minutes delay, 220 volts. It will be mounted on an oil boiler, just after the thermostat. If anyone knows a wholesaler that has a selection, I'd appreciate their name.

Thanks.

Can I ask you what purpose is the delay on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cantescape

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Can I ask you what purpose is the delay on for.

I want to prolong the off cycle on the boiler, and try different time settings. I am just curious to see how it affects fuel consumption. I want it to run for longer and off longer. The thermostat has a five degree differential and is not adjustable. I am thinking the burner will be more efficient if it runs a bit longer.

Hoagy wrote: »

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I want to prolong the off cycle on the boiler, and try different time settings. I am just curious to see how it affects fuel consumption. I want it to run for longer and off longer. The thermostat has a five degree differential and is not adjustable. I am thinking the burner will be more efficient if it runs a bit longer.

The burner will only run long enough to reach temp adding the timer won't let it run for longer unless you bypass stat.
    If its constantly cutting in and out its short cycling and that's a different thing altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Would you not be easier/better replacing the current thermostat with a digital chronostat which allows you to program different differentials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Pardon my ignorance :o, Would a staircase relay be used in this instance.
    Im pretty sure one of our lads used one to prolong the ammount of run on time on the pump used in a central heating system.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Would you not be easier/better replacing the current thermostat with a digital chronostat which allows you to program different differentials etc.

Possibly. However, I prefer not to interfere with the original components, not yet anyway. Ideally, they should come equipped with some degree of adjustment. I am satisfying curiosity as much as anything else.

Advertisement