Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The elusive iPhone 5s

• 01-10-2013 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello all

I'm currently researching (with the intention of purchasing) the iPhone 5s.

I'm in the market for an unlocked handset because I'm in the States at least once every year and have a US sim. However, for day-to-day use here in Ireland, I'm with vodafone. :pac:

My aunt in America has offered to send the iPhone over to me (once it becomes available); however, I notice that there are no 'unlocked' options available online http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s.

But, unlocked handsets are available on the UK website: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone5s

So, I need an unlocked handset that works both in the USA and in EU.
    Also, I'm pro the American option, as it works out cheaper than the UK (parcel motel) option.

Thus, does anyone know if there are (or there will be) unlocked handsets available in the states? Also, will a US phone work in Ireland? (I have no issues with warranty etc. as I'm over there pretty regularly).

Or, I'm I just better off ordering from the UK altogether for piece of mind with transit - but will it work in the States with my US sim?

Would really appreciate some advice
    Thanks

W.Esme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

In the states apple sell an iPhone 5S that is apparently unlocked but there's some debate about that. Google it and you'll find a few threads as to whether or not the T Mobile iphone 5S is unlocked. Costs full price.

Also the iPhone 5S should work here, see http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I looked into getting an iPhone from the states but the shipping was so expensive the saving was negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I was told the T Mobile iPhone 5s was unlocked in the US but didn't want to risk it. The Apple store guy said it would be Nov before a "SIM free" version was on sale there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The unlocked version gets released later in the USA. More towards November/December. Was the same set up last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Going by MacRumors all iPhones bought in an Apple store for the full price are unlocked not just the T-Mobile ones.
    The official line is that unlocked phones are not yet available and its at your own risk to treat the others as unlocked.
    Phones bought from the operators stores are locked though even if you pay the full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

Guys this is great feedback!! Thanks :) Any idea if I'd get charged customs on UK order - it's my understanding that I won't cause it's within the EU.......but I may be wrong

Oh and the real crux - will a UK purchased unlocked iPhone work in Ireland and the US? (I *think* my US sim is with either AT&T or T-mobile - I'll need to root it out - if that makes any difference)

• Advertisement
Advertisement