Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Month Work Visa in USA

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

Completely clueless as to what sort of visa to look for, let alone where to look, but next summer between college I would like to work in the US, possibly Chicago. Can anyone tell me if and how I can make this possible? I would have a job lined up in advance. I do not want to take the J1 route as I am a mature student and it sounds pricey...

Any help??

Thanks
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's pretty much your only option unless you can get a college related internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Hi Athtrasna,

Thank your for your reply. Do you have any info on the cost of a j1 visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I tried to go on a J1 without going through usit etc the summer just gone because they're a rip off. I couldn't find a solution so I just risked it and went over with the holiday visa which turned out absolutely fine. I remember from researching (i'll try find the website) but you need to be sponsored by a company to give yourself any chance to get over there for 3 months without a J1 visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Have a read through this post, it has some information and links to further pricings.

You mostly pay for the flights, application/processing fees etc. I would price it to be €1,000 - €1,500 depending on location. You would also want to consider initial spending money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jack10123

@Roisin24, Im in a similar position, where are you thinking of heading? email me if you get a chance 111538493@umail.ucc.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement