Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed-sit questions

Options
  • 02-10-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Anyone ever lived in one? I'm thinking of renting a bedsit, but I'm not sure what type of people usually rent bedsits? Are they noisy? What locations should I be avoiding?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bedsits are illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Bedsits are illegal!

No they are not. What is illegal is a Bedsit without it's own bathroom, but bedsits/studios with sanitary facilities are still legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

MouseTail wrote: »
    No they are not. What is illegal is a Bedsit without it's own bathroom, but bedsits/studios with sanitary facilities are still legal.

Isnt that a studio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Isnt that a studio

There is no clear / legal definition. Often how it is defines is a studio is purpose built, as is an apartment, but a Bedsit or flat are multi unit conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Bedsits are illegal!

Old style ones yes but if they are upgraded to meet regulations, they are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Bedsits are illegal ,what you describe with own toilet/shower and cooking is not a bedsit ,its a studio .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, so the OP is asking what the people who rent "studio" are like then.

Are the loud, anti-social, etc.

Short answer = they are people who are too mean or too poor to rent anything larger. So generally less educated than your average bear (with some exceptions), less connected to the location, less worried about what the neighbhours thinks. And quite often "studios" have quite thin walls beside them, so you get to share in your neighbours life experiences more than you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Make sure it's got a nice crying chair, that's a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

Grand ye've talked me out of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Short answer = they are people who are too mean or too poor to rent anything larger. So generally less educated than your average bear (with some exceptions), less connected to the location, less worried about what the neighbhours thinks. And quite often "studios" have quite thin walls beside them, so you get to share in your neighbours life experiences more than you would like.

You really know everything about all peoples circumstances don't you. Some very intelligent people that have fallen on low ground and can only afford one of these studios of which is all they can afford would not be "classed" less educated would they miss bear ?. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Rarely have I read such ignorant post on this forum!
    this may be the case in your experience, but people rent studio's for many diverse reason other than you stated, I know of 2 friends of mine who are educated to masters level who rent studios/bedsits during the week as the commute from home to Dublin is too time consuming and costly, they where educated enough to work out the costs and this was a more viable option. As another poster stated in these time people can fall on hard times very quickly and suddenly and properties like these can be affordable enough to allow them time to get back on their feet again.
    Out of interest whats the rent like these days in the Ivory Tower??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it depends on the area ,
    i lived in a house with 10 units .in dublin.
    4 floor building, 1 bathroom on each floor .
    IT was fine.
    BEDSIT is not a legal term, as far as i know ,d say its a rented room in a building with more than 2 rental units .
    ie most of the time ,you,ll share a hallway , and the building has 1 front door.
    YOU can get studio flats , basement flat where you have your own front door ,with more privacy.
    BEDSITS used to be where any single people on rent allowance would go
    as the rent was low .

saying that ,i would not like to be renting in a house where there s like
    6 people on rent allowance .
    there was 2 or 3 tenants on rent allowance where i lived.
    it was not noisey at all.

Maybe avoid houses with 10 plus flats in them.

what type of people,rent bedsits
    PEOPLE on lower incomes, students, people on the dole, disability allowance .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lots of people rent different property types for different reasons. I've a colleague who rents a studio apartment- because its all she wants. Its where she sleeps at night (I imagine), most of her life is not between the two walls- she works fulltime and at weekends she is out and about most of the time. Her studio apartment- is her cave- she doesn't want anything bigger- she doesn't need it, and all the better that she saves on costs (and cleaning etc). That said- her rent is more than for 2 bed apartment in the same building.

Many studio apartments are built to a high standard- you could just as easily say any property constructed since 1995 have thin walls and mean you're living part of your neighbours life, whether you like it or not. There are fully fledged properties, once with price tags north of a million- which have sound insulation problems- its not an issue unique to studio apartments- and indeed- in the case of studio apartments in converted buildings- often they may be constructed to a far higher standard than buildings that comply with current building codes.

Denigrating folk- simply because of their accommodation choice- and it is an active choice for many people- isn't fair, or an accurate reflection of their circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Can't believe the bizarre assumptions made above!
    I'm living in a bedsit/studio/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Been here 3 years and I'm perfectly happy.

My place is small but it's comfortable, quiet and warm.
    I'm a mature student so I need somewhere cheap, and I happen to like my own space, so I'd rather not share. This does not make me loud, mean, or 'less-educated', you'll be shocked to hear.

And yes, bedsits are perfectly legal as long as each unit has its own bathroom facilities. I would use the word 'bedsit' simply to mean any place that has one room as the bedroom and sitting room (pretty self-explanatory I'd have thought). I always think 'studio' is just an attempt to sound fancier than 'bedsit' - there's no technical difference that I know of. One room for sleeping/sitting/cooking and a bathroom. Perfectly adequate way to live for a few years.

My building has 6 units, each occupied by nice, quiet girls who are all either students or working. A few are on rent allowance, though most are not. They're a mix of Irish and foreigners, all lovely people. The building is a well-built Victorian terrace house, no paper-thin walls here, so I never hear a peep from my neighbours.

I'm certainly not living in squalor surrounded by the dregs of society. The only thing bedsit-residents have in common is a low budget, otherwise we're normal functioning members of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,d SAY studio means larger space ,than a bedsit,with its own bathroom,
    like a small apartment,
    Apartments have at least 1 separate bedroom, with a hallway,
    and a balcony.
    eg you might find a large studio flat, but it has no hallway.

I understand all bedsits must have a bathroom under the new regulations.

I,D say most people live in bedsits cos its the cheapest accomodation they can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Denigrating folk- simply because of their accommodation choice- and it is an active choice for many people- isn't fair, or an accurate reflection of their circumstances.

I'm not denigrating anyone - just describing what I've seen with my own eyes / ears. I'm glad to hear that other people have seen more pleasant sides to bedsit-ville. But I can assure you that the seriously unpleasant side exists too, and that the people who are living there are unlike to report such things as sewage in the hallways, no fire escapes, death-trap stairways because they don't want to become homeless.

The OP didn't ask about a "studio apartment", s/he asked about bedsits. Legal or otherwise, shared bathroom bedsits do still exist - eg people who own heritage buildings that they cannot make significant changes to simply don't have that many choices, apart from pulling out offering rental accommodation. Some have done cute things like declare each "floor" of rooms to be a single "apartment" that they are letting by the bedroom - it just so happens that the "housemates" choose to keep their bedroom doors locked all the time.

The main issue with living in a bedsit is that you have to conduct your social life in your bedroom, or in a public place - and in Ireland that usually means the pub, which has certain health consequences.

Advertisement