Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MNS.Should it continue?

• 02-10-2013 3:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Do you watch MNS?

Yes

No

Sometimes

MNS.Should it continue ? 110 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    80% 88 votes
    Maybe.
    20% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

yep.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I watch it on RTE player and generally skip through the punditry and just watch the highlights.

It should definitely continue, but I feel there's too much focus on discussion and not enough football shown.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I watch it on RTE player and generally skip through the punditry and just watch the highlights.

It should definitely continue, but I feel there's too much focus on discussion and not enough football shown.

This. More match footage, less talk. And please god get rid of Peter Collins. He's getting more Alan Partridge-esque by the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why get rid? Its a good show. Best highlights package we have had.

Remember how awful Eircom league Weekly was on TV3 before heavily criticising MNS. Towards the end of that we were lucky if they had 3-4 matches highlights. Terrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

As far as I know the FAI pay RTE to show MNS. I'm not sure how true that is, but for what it is, it could easily be just an online program produced directly by the FAI. I'd be more inclined to watch it if I didn't have to deal with the RTE player or be in front of my telly on a Monday evening.

And a lot of the punditry is fine. Sadlier and Kerr are good pundits, but they're not on it too much these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Yes but it needs more football and less damian richardson making non points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

gimmick wrote: »

Remember how awful Eircom league Weekly was on TV3 before heavily criticising MNS. Towards the end of that we were lucky if they had 3-4 matches highlights. Terrible stuff.

Wasn't that on really late also?
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    As far as I know the FAI pay RTE to show MNS. I'm not sure how true that is, but for what it is, it could easily be just an online program produced directly by the FAI. I'd be more inclined to watch it if I didn't have to deal with the RTE player or be in front of my telly on a Monday evening.

And a lot of the punditry is fine. Sadlier and Kerr are good pundits, but they're not on it too much these days.

I could be wrong but I think it all came as a package, international rights in return for money, to show x number of LOI games which increases every year and a prime time highlights show. There's probably other things also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wasn't that on really late also?

Started at a reasonable time, but as the coverage got worse, it started going later and later. I think before it was canned it was an 11.15 start or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sappy404 wrote: »
    As far as I know the FAI pay RTE to show MNS. I'm not sure how true that is, but for what it is,

Afaik it's in the RTE "package", aka LoI, Irish competitive matches and MNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just seen this point was actually made over in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Why shouldn't it continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Started at a reasonable time, but as the coverage got worse, it started going later and later. I think before it was canned it was an 11.15 start or something.

Because TV3 were tied to ITV content during prime time on weekdays the LOI highlights show was often shoved to well past 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Great show

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Spot on. MNS is the best weekly highlights show we've ever had. Of course it's not perfect but I think they do a decent job. That said, I agree with the Collins bashing. He's a bit wooden. Darragh Maloney was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Used to watch it religiously, but between Collins and some of the pundits its become very hard to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Going to go with the opposite view on it and say...no probably shouldnt.

The actual analysis is awful, and the camera views make it even worse half the time. Low level of production value I feel, tried to be built up by the studio and graphics.

I think the big question is does it add value to the league? No Probably not. I dont think anyone has seen the program and attended games because of it. Which ultimately is the only reason it's on TV.

What I would like to see is a highlight orientated webisode. The production costs would be much less and instead hand stuff back to the clubs. The money saved could be used for development and let the clubs have their own TV rights. The likes of SRFC Tv, highlights posted on social media, clubs offering a members only TV package similar with what big european clubs do and offer highlights and deals for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That all sounds nice Ebbs but if you take a primetime television show off the air and replace it with internet videos, it'd be another nail in the league's coffin. Aside from the perception that it would have, there's no way that non league fans are going to go out of their way to seek out something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dont really watch it any more. I wish they would put a goals only package on RTE Player. I am not having a go at their pundits, I just want to see the goals. It wouldn't take any effort to upload a purely footballing version on RTE player. I could probably do it myself if I had the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A just goals or online only program would undermine the league even more. It needs a TV presence, and I for one, despite its overchatting, enjoy watching the show. The punditry isn't that bad, it's actually by pretty much all people who know the league well. More proper highlights is needed though, cut the chat and even have some club related short features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Corholio wrote: »
    A just goals or online only program would undermine the league even more. It needs a TV presence, and I for one, despite its overchatting, enjoy watching the show. The punditry isn't that bad, it's actually by pretty much all people who know the league well. More proper highlights is needed though, cut the chat and even have some club related short features.

It can have both. It can have the full programme online and on tv and a goals/football package online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I tend to disagree on the more highlights argument. I think it needs people talking about the games, discussing the league interviewing people and it's why I was in favour of the inserts they had. If there's an excellent game like the Pats Rovers QF recently, then maybe show extended highlights.

But showing more highlights of Rovers and Bray on Monday night - no thanks.

The focus on the Ireland international team and the music over the highlights would be my biggest gripes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

dfx- wrote: »
    The focus on the Ireland international team and the music over the highlights would be my biggest gripes.
    I'd second this. International team gets plenty of exposure already, save the only LOI show for the LOI.

The answer to poor punditry is better punditry, not less of it. Guys like Dave Barry who can't string a coherent sentence together shouldn't be near the show. And I often wonder if the analysists have seen anything other than the same 2/3 minutes highlights everybody else just saw. We sometimes hear an analyst mention that they were at the game, but they should be at games more often.

I heard (just a rumour maybe) that the package that RTE bought, which committed them to MNS as well as an increasing number of live games, was worth less to the FAI than another deal that RTE offered, which didn't include MNS. In other words, they took less money to ensure MNS got made. Well done to them, if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

definitely keep it, totally agree with the op who said its the best highlights show we've had. wouldnt object to a revamp but it must be kept, our league needs all the exposure it can get at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Needs to be reformed from top to bottom. The first season was class! More than one camera at some games, good pundits and a good host in Con Murphy! Chat was banterous and segments such as Raiders of the Lost Archive, the who had the hardest shot bit and 60 seconds (I think it was called) were very good.

Simple things like the introduction of the pundits playing football in a car park and end skits that saw the likes of Johnny Logan fashioning double-denim and singing "championays" really gave the show a light-hearted dimension.

Things like that made the show light-hearted. It's a shoddy show at the moment. They missed a goal of the season contender at Dalyer last week. Peter Collins having to look at his notes more often than not etc.

I wish they put mics in front of the fans and used that as the background noise rather than shít music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Didnt mind the music until this year when they started playing the same 2 tunes for all the matches which got very repeative pretty quickly.

As for the show itself its one of the few programmes I make sure I watch every week. Now the standard has declined a bit this season Peter Collins isnt a good host and some of the panel could do with replacing (Dave Barry) and a bit more highlights would be better but still its a very enjoyable show. Could also do with a bit more time management, they seem to be struggling with that a bit this season.

Also they should bring back the good, the bad, and the ugly bit that used to be on in at the end of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It could do with a tweaking, more highlights of the matches and less talking shíte that nobody wants to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Of course it should continue. It's not perfect by any means but it's all we have by way of LOI highlights show.

I don't really like Peter Collins. He's a pretty uninspiring host. Someone like Darragh Moloney would do a good job. Probably one of the better presenters in RTE of recent times.

Camera angles are my biggest gripe. There's been loads of times when an incident has been missed. Sure their camera missed an entire goal from the Bohs/Derry game.

They could really do with a couple of cameras at every game.

Punditry is a bit long winded for the most part.

A few new features like a "behind the scenes at..." a different club each week would be interesting. Or maybe feature a "grassroots team of the week" type segment. I'd be interested in something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

People wanting more footage of the games really need to think about it objectively.

Firstly, you can't have any more footage of a game without having a proper commentator, which is obviously way too much of a cost for RTE. Also, what else is there to actually show? For most teams it'd just be kicking it long and jumping for headers, no build up play or anything :confused:

We should just be glad we have the show, there's no way RTE are gonna invest in more than one camera per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

kksaints wrote: »
    Didnt mind the music until this year when they started playing the same 2 tunes for all the matches which got very repeative pretty quickly.

As for the show itself its one of the few programmes I make sure I watch every week. Now the standard has declined a bit this season Peter Collins isnt a good host and some of the panel could do with replacing (Dave Barry) and a bit more highlights would be better but still its a very enjoyable show. Could also do with a bit more time management, they seem to be struggling with that a bit this season.

Also they should bring back the good, the bad, and the ugly bit that used to be on in at the end of the show.

Absolutely! A great segment! I remember Killian Brennan in his prime would make it in each category every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

This is the reason for the question.I was told that this year or next year will see the end of that deal and i hope i'm wrong on that.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday_Night_Soccer#League_of_Ireland_licensing)Wikipedia is not a great source though.

I just wanted to see what suport MNS has among LOI fans now that the end may be in sight?
    I watch it on the RTE player myself,means you can skip through the boring punditry although whether i skip through or not will depend on what pundits are on the programme.

Cawley = Skip
    Hand = listen
    Sadlier = listen
    Richardson = listen
    Barry = listen
    Prunty,Foley,Morley = skip x 3
    Tony Mac. = 50/50
    Roddy Collins = all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Rico is a massive skip, awful sh!te talker, same with Kerr, although he knows his football. I fund cawley to be very knowledgeable about the players and clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If I was a member of Bloc Party I'd be hoping it continues indefinitely ;)

I definitely hope it continues anyway it's a good way to catch up on all the goals from the weekend and doesn't take itself too seriously. As said before though the music over the highlights is annoying but all in all I think they're doing a good job. I do like most of the pundits really especially Foley McDonnell and Dave Barry for some reason :)

Advertisement