Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Draw 2014

• 02-10-2013 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

With the summer just over, Dublin and Clare wont have to wait long until they find out who they play in the Championship next summer. I believe the draw is on tomorrow(Thursday 03 Oct).

As an avid Dublin football supporter the provincial draw doesn't worry me. Would like another Meath final if pushed.. As for the hurling I would prefer to avoid KK until the final.

Do you have any preferences for your county ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Probably a similar one to this year, a confidence building quarter and then a winnable but tough semi against Laois/Wexford/Kildare and another crack at the Dubs in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo will be going to NY this year so that is their quarter final.
    Really don't care who we play in Connaught, a Mayo v Galway Connaught final in Castlebar may be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dublin hurlers straight into Leinster semi final I presume, Can't understand why this is done why cant all the teams start 1st week of June or end of May. There is enough teams for quarter finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Munster Hurling Champ should be a cracker next year. The AI finalists, Limerick, an up and coming Waterford and a sore Tipp. It looks like another golden age of hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

No matter how they fall in Leinster and Connacht, it'll be Dublin and Mayo claiming these barring a huge upset.

I'd like a possible Mayo/Galway Connacht final though!

Munster we all know what the final will be before a ball is kicked

Ulster could be interesting. Monaghan had a good draw in it last year to make the final and then played the game of their lives. Could another team benefit similarly next year? The draw can play a big role in this province. I won't really comment on who I fancy till I see it. But it'll be interesting and I'll be far more confident predicting it after seeing the draw

The Munster hurling will obviously be interesting. Three semi-finallists this year + Tipp and waterford. Again I'll feel far more confident calling it when I see who plays who. Would love a Clare Tipp first round on June BH though!

Dublin v KK could be a very interesting early round draw if it materialises. I'd say the Cats will be hoping they avoid Dubs (and Galway) till the final, help them build up confidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Gerry91 wrote: »
    No matter how they fall in Leinster and Connacht, it'll be Dublin and Mayo claiming these barring a huge upset.

Depends on the attitude, how will Mayo react to another All Ireland defeat and will Dublin have the same desire after winning it remember they were less than hot in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limerick have been fcuked over by their own county board in terms of football..... no manager, players thinking about retiring, don't hold out much hope for next season tbh. Hopefully we don't get relegated anyway.

As for hurling...would be nice to avoid Tipp, sick of them. Ideal draw would be Clare in the first round. I think a first round draw would suit Limerick this year.

Depends on the attitude, how will Mayo react to another All Ireland defeat and will Dublin have the same desire after winning it remember they were less than hot in 2012.

I still think an under par Mayo would be too good in Connacht as it stands, I can see Galway and maybe even Ros coming good but not yet I don't think. Then again a wet and windy day in the Hyde, with a few injuries to Mayo and you wouldn't know. Castlebar would have a big bearing on the Galway game though. But it would seriously take a major upset for it not to be Mayo

Anyway we'll see from the draw sure who they have to beat.

Dub will walk it they've such strength in depth that if anyone isn't "hungry" they'll be left warming the bench. They played appalling by their standards in 12 and still won it, I can't see them being near as bad this time around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I still think an under par Mayo would be too good in Connacht as it stands, I can see Galway and maybe even Ros coming good but not yet I don't think. Then again a wet and windy day in the Hyde, with a few injuries to Mayo and you wouldn't know. Castlebar would have a big bearing on the Galway game though. But it would seriously take a major upset for it not to be Mayo

Anyway we'll see from the draw sure who they have to beat.

Dub will walk it they've such strength in depth that if anyone isn't "hungry" they'll be left warming the bench. They played appalling by their standards in 12 and still won it, I can't see them being near as bad this time around

A lot changes in 8-9 months. You only have to look at what happened the last time Mayo made two finals back-to-back to see how tenuous a team's grip on the top table really is. With mental and physical fatigue and all this talk of the Horan era imploding there's plenty of scope for Mayo being caught.

Syferus wrote: »
    A lot changes in 8-9 months. You only have to look at what happened the last time Mayo made two finals back-to-back to see how tenuous a team's grip on the top table really is. With mental and physical fatigue and all this talk of the Horan era imploding there's plenty of scope for Mayo being caught.

It would have to be some decline though. 2006 Mayo was far inferior to this team and had plenty of average and ageing players also

I do see your point. I can't see them playing Connacht at the same intensity but are any Connacht sides good enough to beat them in all honesty?

Similar to the Dubs in Leinster 2012, I think Mayo will get through it in relatively second gear.

The fact they're playing Galway in Castlebar is significant too if it materialises.

EDIT- I see you meant 96/97 team rather than 06. Fair point but Mayo didn't win Connacht by a score difference of 45 points or thereabouts in 97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

As a Limerick man a first round match wouldn't be bad. If we lost we'd end up in the qualifiers playing weaker teams for one maybe two games and then a crack at a provincial semi final loser.

Would love a crack at Clare again to put right the shambles in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Badabing wrote: »
    Dublin hurlers straight into Leinster semi final I presume, Can't understand why this is done why cant all the teams start 1st week of June or end of May. There is enough teams for quarter finals

The Leinster hurling championship has one of the most mental formats in any sporting competition I've ever seen, mind boggling stuff!

As a Mayo man, I'm hoping for a more competitive Connacht championship next year, which I have no doubt it will be, I expect Galway to come out strong and put it up to us. Roscommon didn't shame themselves in the qualifiers this year either, so they should come back stronger and under new management, who knows what Sligo will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

As a Cork fan i would love to meet Clare or Tipp in first round. Good game for us to warm up for the rest of championship. We would know fast what level we need to be at.

What do people make of the seeding of Cork and Kerry into the SF in Munster Football.

I have kind of mixed feelings about it.
    On the face of it it seems to be unfair on the others as it is denying they an opportunity to contest a Munster final, and forcing the others teams to beat both of them to win a Munster final
    On the other hand people have complained that Cork and Kerry playing a Munster SF has allowed the looser to regroup through the qualifiers, as Kerry did in 2009
    And a Munster final is a far bigger occasion than with Cork v Kerry, rather than with one of them v Tipp/Waterford/Clare, I am leaving Limerick out of that because they did partake in some exciting finals over the past 10 years

Munster players are due to take action over it in 2015, but by then there may be a new provincial structure in place, hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

As regards the Munster Hurling Championship it has very little bearing on the AI these days so i wouldn't be getting too carried away about the draw despite the hype that will happen when it takes place,for example--
    In the last 12yrs since Tipp in 2001 only Cork in 2005 as Munster Champions have gone on and won the All-Ireland,with only 2 of the last 7 Munster Champions having even reached the final (Tipp in 09/11 and lost both whilst winning in 2010)
    Also in 3 of the last 4 yrs the AI Champions have lost by 10/10 and 8 pts in the provincials
    2010-Cork 3-15 - 0-14 Tipperary
    2012-Galway 2-21 Kilkenny 2-11
    2013-Cork 0-23 Clare 0-15

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

As a Clare man I really want the lads to have a good crack at Munster this year, I reckon a quarter final against Waterford, Cork in the semi and then another battle with Limerick in a Munster final in Thurles!

hawkwing wrote: »
    As regards the Munster Hurling Championship it has very little bearing on the AI these days so i wouldn't be getting too carried away about the draw despite the hype that will happen when it takes place,for example--
    In the last 12yrs since Tipp in 2001 only Cork in 2005 as Munster Champions have gone on and won the All-Ireland,with only 2 of the last 7 Munster Champions having even reached the final (Tipp in 09/11 and lost both whilst winning in 2010)
    Also in 3 of the last 4 yrs the AI Champions have lost by 10/10 and 8 pts in the provincials

Yeah but the championship format now ensures only two teams get out of the back door. These two places will be fought for by three Munster sides (so guaranteed one doesn't get through), either Galway/KK/Dublin and even Wexford could be tricky (brought Clare to ET this year).

Getting knocked out of Munster before the final is best avoided IMO

Two Munster teams didn't make quarters this year. Everyone from Tipp wasn't panicking too much when they lost to Limerick till they saw KK lose to Dublin and knew they'd be facing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

youngco87 wrote: »
    As a Clare man I really want the lads to have a good crack at Munster this year, I reckon a quarter final against Waterford, Cork in the semi and then another battle with Limerick in a Munster final in Thurles!

I hope we get the side without a first round game, that way we will know well in advance who we are playing.
    We can start preparing straight away for that.

Tipp would be nice, as it's quite a while since we beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipp would be nice, as it's quite a while since we beat them.

And as Johnny Logan would say ''whats another year'' :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Would prefer if Cork didn't draw Tipp in the first round, purely because they've drawn the in the first round a few times recently.

But there will be no easy draw in Munster this year.

• Advertisement

What do people make of the seeding of Cork and Kerry into the SF in Munster Football.

I have kind of mixed feelings about it.
    On the face of it it seems to be unfair on the others as it is denying they an opportunity to contest a Munster final, and forcing the others teams to beat both of them to win a Munster final
    On the other hand people have complained that Cork and Kerry playing a Munster SF has allowed the looser to regroup through the qualifiers, as Kerry did in 2009
    And a Munster final is a far bigger occasion than with Cork v Kerry, rather than with one of them v Tipp/Waterford/Clare, I am leaving Limerick out of that because they did partake in some exciting finals over the past 10 years

Munster players are due to take action over it in 2015, but by then there may be a new provincial structure in place, hopefully

I think it's bad, not going to do anything for football in the other 4 counties. I don't think the regrouping through the qualifiers one is a good argument either, because most times, they will meet in the final anyway..... it just offers a little variation from year-to-year. A Munster final doesn't mean as much to Cork-Kerry at this stage, as it would to Clare/Limerick/Tipp/Waterford.

hawkwing wrote: »

Mostly down to the strength of Kilkenny though. Who were Leinster champions almost every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The long road to Sam for Wicklow begins tonight.

What time do we actually expect the draw to start?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    What time do we actually expect the draw to start?

It's at 7 on RTE isn't it?

So about half past ;)

It's at 7 on RTE isn't it?

So about half past ;)

I'll turn it on at half past so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'll turn it on at half past so :p

Ah have some faith lads it's not the champions league 2 day draw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Leinster hurling first up...

QF's
    A.Qualifer winner v Wexford
    B.Qualifer runner up v Galway
    C.Kilkenny v Offaly

SF's
    Dublin v Winner A
    Winner B v Winner C

KK v Galway in the semi final most likely

KevIRL wrote: »
    Leinster hurling first up...

Least they're not wasting time.

Marty's voice seems to be gone...strenous celebrations after Clare winning?

Dublin likely to make the final again....most likely to face Galway/Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Munster hurling now....

QF
    Cork v Waterford

SF
    Tipp v Limerick
    Clare V QF winner

Fcuking Tipp. Again! FFS :mad:

Munster hurling now....

QF
    Cork v Waterford

SF
    Tipp v Limerick
    Clare V QF winner

I assumed the first team out would be in the 1st round...was kinda happy with that. A semi-final game against Tipp again :(

Handy one for Waterford anyway :pac:

Munster football..

QF
    A. Tipp v Limerick
    B. Clare v Waterford

SF
    Cork v A
    Kerry v B

Be interesting to test ourselves against Tipp in Championship.

• Advertisement

Connacht Football..

Prelim
    Mayo v New York

QF
    A. Galway v London
    B. Roscommon v Leitrim

SF
    winner A v Sligo
    Winner prelim v Winner B

Ulster Football..

Prelim Round
    Tyrone v Down

QF
    A. Monaghan v winner prelim
    B. Fermanagh v Antrim
    C. Derry v Donegal
    D. Armagh v Cavan

SF
    A v D
    B v C

How lopsided is the football championship

Kerry have to beat one of Waterford and Clare to get to the last 12 of the All Ireland

Tyrone will likely have to beat Down, Monaghan and Armagh to get to the same stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Ulster Football..

Prelim Round
    Tyrone v Down

QF
    A. Monaghan v winner prelim
    B. Fermanagh v Antrim
    C. Derry v Donegal
    D. Armagh v Cavan

SF
    A v D
    B v C

Looks good for Cavan although another semi final defeat looks likely. would prefer to face Down or Monaghan in the SF though.

@KevIRL Cavan beat Armagh this year (I think) and Monaghan gave a very good account of themselves in the Ulster Final. Not a gimme in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

ebbsy wrote: »
    The long road to Sam for Wicklow begins tonight.

soft draw :D

• Advertisement

Leinster Football..

First Round
    A. Wicklow v Laois
    B. Longford v Offaly
    C. Westmeath v Louth

QF
    1. Dublin v winner A
    2. Wexford v winner B
    3. Kildare v winner C
    4. Carlow v Meath

SF
    1 v 2
    3 v 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Structure of hurling championship will probably change tomorrow. Cork to go straight into All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

When was the draw for Mayo V New York and Galway V London made?

Boots234 wrote: »
    When was the draw for Mayo V New York and Galway V London made?
    Who London and NY play is done on rotation basis

Ulster football is really lopsided.

Great draw for Donegal they're the favourites IMO. Will take beating with momentum you'd imagine

Can someone explain the new A and B qualifier structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Potentially Longford and Wexford again!!!

Round two between bespectacled Longford mentor and Wexford fitness coach :D

Can someone explain the new A and B qualifier structure

First I've heard of it too!

McStay gone all out talking up Kildare- unsurprisingly I guess.

They'll have their work cut out to even reach a semi v Meath

Dub will make final pulling up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

First of all, the draw should not be done until at least March or April. If a qualifier draw can be done 6 days before the match, there is absolutely no need to have the draw this early.

As to way the draws are done, it is a bit crazy. The Ulster Football draw was the only one that was fully open. It should be that way in all of the provinces for both games. They could still keep the rotational system that New York and London have for Connacht football, but other than that there should be no other pairings fixed or preliminary draws or round robins or seeding. Just take the amount of counties in each province and build the structure appropriate to the number of counties in each province and off you go. I don't believe in a national open draw and think it is good to keep the provincial system, but each province should have a 100% open draw. Top marks to Ulster for doing that, though zero marks to them for not doing the Ulster Hurling championship draw tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement