Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Draw 2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Kildare v Dublin,Galway v Mayo,Kerry v Cork,Tyrone v Donegal football finals or will the summer of 2014 provide a few shocks along the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

^^^ Kildare? Think winner of Louth/Westmeath would definitely fancy their chances vs them IMO. Meath/Dublin in final again most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Kildare v Dublin,Galway v Mayo,Kerry v Cork,Tyrone v Donegal football finals or will the summer of 2014 provide a few shocks along the way?

I think Connacht and Munster finals are a given for next year. In Leinster, Dublin will ease through their side of the draw, but could be interesting on the other side. Meath are probably favourites, followed by Kildare. And I wouldn't discount Westmeath from making a push.

Thats some opening match for the Ulster championship. Tyrone will be confident of making a final, but after two potentially bruising encounters against Down and Monaghan, I think Cavan could shock them. Donegal will be favourites to come through the other side, but Celtic Park is not an easy place to go. Donegal to reclaim their crown against Cavan I reckon

I think Connacht and Munster finals are a given for next year. In Leinster, Dublin will ease through their side of the draw, but could be interesting on the other side. Meath are probably favourites, followed by Kildare. And I wouldn't discount Westmeath from making a push.

Thats some opening match for the Ulster championship. Tyrone will be confident of making a final, but after two potentially bruising encounters against Down and Monaghan, I think Cavan could shock them. Donegal will be favourites to come through the other side, but Celtic Park is not an easy place to go. Donegal to reclaim their crown against Cavan I reckon

Galway haven't made a Connacht final since 09 though. Granted I think they will this year but it's hardly a "given". Sligo have a great record against them recently.

Cavan are my favourite Ulster team- have lots of family there- and no matter how much optimism I try and muster up, there's no way I can see them getting through to an Ulster final sadly. A wounded ARmagh will be enough of a test

Hope I'm wrong of course- but I think Tyrone will battle through to the final winning each game by only a couple of points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Galway haven't made a Connacht final since 09 though. Granted I think they will this year but it's hardly a "given". Sligo have a great record against them recently.

Cavan are my favourite Ulster team- have lots of family there- and no matter how much optimism I try and muster up, there's no way I can see them getting through to an Ulster final sadly. A wounded ARmagh will be enough of a test

Hope I'm wrong of course- but I think Tyrone will battle through to the final winning each game by only a couple of points

I just cant help thinking that Galway will have to get it together again at some stage. But it wouldn't be a major shock if Sligo beat them

Cavan are my second favourite team, lived there for many years when I was a kid. If they keep this years momentum going, I don't see why they cant make a final. With Seanie scoring the winner;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

^^^ Kildare? Think winner of Louth/Westmeath would definitely fancy their chances vs them IMO. Meath/Dublin in final again most likely

All will fancy their changes however Kildare are sure to appoint a good manager and are settled div one team unlike Meath,Louth or Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Ulster looks very exciting. Tyrone have a tough start and if they come through Down which I expect they will, Monaghan will be waiting, Also how will Donegal recover and Cavan may also have a say, so it's wide open.

Munster and Connacht are pretty clear cut; Kerry and Cork final and probably a Mayo and Galway final.

Leinster could be interesting, I mean Dublin will be there for sure but who will join them. Meath were very impressive last year and were very unlucky. They were only beaten by Dublin (eventual champions) and Tryone (semi-finalists) so I look forward to seeing what they offer this year. I'd put Meath second to Dublin in Leinster. What will happen with Kildare, a new manager may make a difference, but they seem to be going backwards rather that forwards like Westmeath and Meath in Leinster. I'd say Westmeath/Louth will fancy their chances vs Kildare. Meath and Kildare will be a great semi and whoever wants it more will get it. Dublin Vs Meath final.

All will fancy their changes however Kildare are sure to appoint a good manager and are settled div one team unlike Meath,Louth or Westmeath.

Listening to McStay tonight I reckon he's the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Ahem

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Ahem

He meant settled division 1 team though! Westmeath are only going up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

First I've heard of it too!

Below is the explanation of it from Congress
    At first glance all it seems to do is cuts down the number of potential match-ups there can be in the qualifiers and controls who the provincial winners can meet in the QFs
    Not sure what it's supposed to achieve
    (A) All-Ireland Senior Football Championship (i) Provincial Championships These Championships shall be played on a Knock Out Format. A ‘Round Robin’ Format may not be used. The winners of the Provincial Championships shall qualify for separate All-Ireland Championship Quarter-Finals.
    Provincial championship draws shall be made on an arranged basis with an “A” and a “B” side to each draw.
    Teams on the “A” side of a Provincial draw shall enter the All Ireland Qualifier Series as appropriate at Rounds 1A – 4A only. Teams on the “B” side of a Provincial draw shall enter the All Ireland Qualifier Series as appropriate at Rounds 1B – 4B only (ii) All-Ireland Qualifier Series Round 1A - This Round shall include all the Counties in the “A” side of Provincial Championships that do not qualify for Provincial SemiFinals. A Preliminary Game(s) if required and which may be on an arranged basis, shall be played to reduce the number of teams to eight. An open draw shall then be made to determine the four pairings. Round 1B - This Round shall include all the Counties in the “B” side of Provincial Championships that do not qualify for Provincial SemiFinals. A Preliminary Game(s) if required and which may be on an arranged basis, shall be played to reduce the number of teams to eight. An open draw shall then be made to determine the four pairings.
    Round 2A - Each of the four teams defeated in the “A” side of Provincial Semi-Finals shall play against one of the four winners from Round 1A. A Draw shall be made to determine the four pairings. Round 2B - Each of the four teams defeated in the “B” side of Provincial Semi-Finals shall play against one of the four winners from Round 1B. A Draw shall be made to determine the four pairings. Round 3A - This Round shall involve the four winners of Round 2A. Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the two pairings. Round 3B - This Round shall involve the four winners of Round 2B. Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the two pairings.
    Round 4A - Each of two defeated Provincial Finalists* shall play against one of the two winners from Round 3A. Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the two pairings.
    Comhdháil 2013
    Motions [Type text] Page 30
    Round 4B - Each of two defeated Provincial Finalists* shall play against one of the two winners from Round 3B. A Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the two pairings.
    *In 2014 the defeated Munster & Connacht finalists will enter Round 4A; the defeated Ulster and Leinster finalists will enter Round 4B. In subsequent years, once the dates for the respective Provincial Finals are agreed & before September 30 th of the previous year, the C.C.C.C will inform Ard Chomhairle as to which beaten provincial finalists will enter Round 4A and which will enter Round 4B in the following year’s championship.
    (iii) All-Ireland Quarter-Finals
    The All Ireland Quarter Finals shall be on an arranged basis.
    Subject to the respective Provincial Champions not meeting the defeated finalists from their own Province in this Round and to the avoidance of repeat pairings where possible, two nominated Provincial Champions* shall be paired against the Winners of Round 4A and two nominated Provincial Champions” shall be paired against the Winners of Round 4B
    *In 2014 the Munster & Connacht Champions will be paired with the Round 4A winners; the Ulster and Leinster Champions will be paired with the Round 4B winners. In subsequent years, once the dates for the respective Provincial Finals are agreed & before September 30 th of the previous year, the C.C.C.C will inform Ard Chomhairle as to which Provincial Champions will be paired with the Round 4A winners and which will be paired with the Round 4B winners in the following year’s championship

Below is the explanation of it from Congress
    At first glance all it seems to do is cuts down the number of potential match-ups there can be in the qualifiers and controls who the provincial winners can meet in the QFs
    Not sure what it's supposed to achieve

Cheers, I'll give it a read and my opinion in a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know when the fixtures for next years leagues are announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone know when the fixtures for next years leagues are announced?

Usually around mid November, dates and venues confirmed around mid December. Usually don't book any away trips till the week before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Dates for the league?? :)

Sure they don't even know the format yet for the hurling at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

McStay gone all out talking up Kildare- unsurprisingly I guess.

They'll have their work cut out to even reach a semi v Meath

Dub will make final pulling up
    Thought Jason Ryan was the big favourite for the Kildare job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I think if Derry get a half decent league run they have every chance of beating Donegal, judging by Donegal's performance this year anyway. So I wouldn't rule out an Ulster final appearance for Derry.

Advertisement