Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferals and other strays!

• 02-10-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Ireland seems to be awash with strays and ferals... moved to a remote rural area months ago with my two cats and had early this year to relocate a ferocious feral who was attacking my two and via the cat flap spraying all over inside the house in the night. Borrowed a humane trap from a cat rescue and took weeks to get the stench out of the car. He was a runty wee thing.

A couple or three months ago, saw a second cat outside, and started feeding it when it had been in a time or two. Fine; fed it outside and it was very shy

A few weeks ago he decided to come in. Purring and winding round my ankles... awww! Clearly he is not a true feral as he has taken after many weeks to being handled

He is learning his manners; slowly

Last week a ferocious feral tried to get in and the new one saw him off well and good.. they rolled over and over outside screaming then new cat chased feral off across the field; could hear then for half an hour

My two cannot seem to accept him. I have not seen him attacking or being aggressive to them but they hiss at him and will not go near him and now will not go through the kitchen if he is in. Early this morning ( heavy rain last night) I found my two outside on the doorstep as they knew he was in.

Just tore my heart,

I had hoped they would learn to live alongside; I feed the new one downstairs and my two upstairs and new cat is not allowed in my bedroom. He spends the night on the top step as near my door as he can get.

Not sure where to go from here; I did try shutting him in the outside utility but he went ballistic.

He is welcome here BUT cannot have my two scared like this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like you've not done any introduction of the new cat so of course they will his and spit. What you need to do is to create seperate space and hiding spaces in the rooms you have your new cat so your cats can feel they can run away or hide as needed. You also need to rub the new cat down with a towel and leave it next to your old cat's food and vice versa for them to start assocating the new smell with something good.

This will still take some time (talking weeks) to have effect as cats hate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Rosier wrote: »
    Ireland seems to be awash with strays and ferals... moved to a remote rural area months ago with my two cats and had early this year to relocate a ferocious feral who was attacking my two and via the cat flap spraying all over inside the house in the night. Borrowed a humane trap from a cat rescue and took weeks to get the stench out of the car. He was a runty wee thing.

Did the cat rescue take him in?

Ferals have a reputation for being mean and nasty, when it's really all testosterone! Once neutered the boys calm down, clean up, don't spray anymore and in a lot of cases, become really tame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We installed a microchip catflap a few years ago and find it much better than ordinary catflaps. It's much stronger, also a lot more expensive, but no other cats can get in unless we leave it on open mode deliberately. With the traditional flap, large local Toms were able to force it open if they headbutted it hard enough.

It might be a good idea to talk to the charity that loaned you the trap about trap neuter and return. I'm just curious as to where the cat went to after it was trapped and if there are any more in the area that need neutering/spaying in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Catching up;heavy rain affects internet access here.

Not worried re the earlier tom..

In this area I would still have to pay to have a cat neutered and there is no way on a tiny pension I can do that. No true TNR programme I can access.

The only other local resource has little idea of the territorial nature of ferals; she wanted to rehome the vicious one nearby us as an outdoor cat which is why we made arrangements way outside the area. Else he would have been straight back .

This one does not spray indoors.

Have tried all valid suggestions; been with cats 40 years..and know all the tricks and wrinkles.

I do not want to rehome this cat as there are so many ferals around as I have seen that another less amenable would move into the vacant territory. At least this one defends "his" territory. And is affectionate.

Today new cat went for my girl so I ejected him ( he hates being shouted at! )and fed him outside and locked the cat flap. Only way seems for me to be top cat and hope for better times ahead. NB I have never before had any trouble when bringing in new cats...yes a big headbut will dislodge the cat flap but he has not realised that yet and daytime is fine as the dogs are in the kitchen all day.

My two are too passive; the big boy sits nearby and screams at the new cat.

Time may yet avail. Please God so.

Thanks everyone.

boomerang wrote: »
    Did the cat rescue take him in?

Ferals have a reputation for being mean and nasty, when it's really all testosterone! Once neutered the boys calm down, clean up, don't spray anymore and in a lot of cases, become really tame!

This one was really something else! I have known many ferals and never one like this one. This one compared with him is a ...pussy cat. They have different natures just as our pets have. New boy here is affectionate... took a while to get him this far. And I do not trust him 100%... still that wild streak and so calculating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Rosier. I can't really offer helpful advice on this one, but I can appreciate your dilemma. It's very difficult in cat land to work how individuals will get along. With the visitor I had, my own 3 weren't happy, but there wasn't the hissing and spats going on, whereas with other cats (feral and tamed) that come by, there is the hissing, etc.
    When I got my third rescue, he lived in a separate room for about 3 weeks - he had to as he had flu. This created a lot of interest from the existing 2 - they would sniff around the door of the room etc. When I eventually introduced him, it was phased and time limited. But the difference here was he was a kitten and neutered, so not sure that it would work in your case.
    I would try and give your own all the attention as it sounds like the new guy isn't going anywhere soon and perhaps things will settle. But yes, a tough one! Good luck.

Monsclara wrote: »
    Rosier. I can't really offer helpful advice on this one, but I can appreciate your dilemma. It's very difficult in cat land to work how individuals will get along. With the visitor I had, my own 3 weren't happy, but there wasn't the hissing and spats going on, whereas with other cats (feral and tamed) that come by, there is the hissing, etc.
    When I got my third rescue, he lived in a separate room for about 3 weeks - he had to as he had flu. This created a lot of interest from the existing 2 - they would sniff around the door of the room etc. When I eventually introduced him, it was phased and time limited. But the difference here was he was a kitten and neutered, so not sure that it would work in your case.
    I would try and give your own all the attention as it sounds like the new guy isn't going anywhere soon and perhaps things will settle. But yes, a tough one! Good luck.

Thank you for this encouragement. I have realised a few things watching this week.
    He only lashes out when he is hungry. Natural for a cat who has had to fight to survive. So I can deal with that.
    The twice I have been scratched was him desperate for food and trying to get me to give it faster and when he went for my girl he was just in and maybe saw her as a challenge for food
    Either way he gets ejected fast if he does that so I am hoping he will learn now.
    I have no idea re his history but he may have been handled as a kitten ; he was timid for months then suddenly seemed to decide to come in.
    I think he may well have been dumped. Sometimes summer visitors do that
    He seeks affection and human contact as much as food. he will eat a tiny bit then leave the food and come to be petted and talked to. Lonely! Wonderful!
    His winter coat is coming in and he is in superb condition now and with a loud purr if you even speak to him
    I think there has been a lot of territorial stuff going on outside; my two will no longer use the back door or the cat flap so I can limit his coming in by blocking off the cat flap ( cannot afford to change it and will not risk collars on my two as they are wild tree lovers..).
    We have had three better nights; I rarely sleep through ( one of the advantages of old age!) so can decide when my two are asleep with me and he can come in.
    NOT ever into the bedroom; into the kitchen and on the stairs
    Last night even that did not satisfy him and he wailed at my bedroom door.. needs people so much this wee one!
    So my two have had a break and I can start again.
    And you are right; he is here to stay. I lost a cat to a badger some years ago so Ireland owes me a cat and this one is far easier than training a kitten.
    When the weather gets bad I will put a bed in the outside utility and see if he will use that.
    Day by day we work on..
    Thanks again..
    NB my two are I think 7 years so re very set in their ways, I remind them that when I rescued them they expected my other cats to accept them but they just look at me
    It is up to me to set the pace now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

When you say you're not worried, do you mean that you're happy he can fend for himself?

Because it really does come across as though you caught him in the trap, put the trap in the car and then dropped him off somewhere.

boomerang wrote: »
    When you say you're not worried, do you mean that you're happy he can fend for himself?

Because it really does come across as though you caught him in the trap, put the trap in the car and then dropped him off somewhere.
    That worried me too:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

<snip>

Please don't jump to such conclusions until the op answers the question posed.
    Do not reply to this edit on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

Well, in around five decades of caring for, breeding and showing cats and dogs, I have never ill treated one and have often given them food when I have none to eat, and will go on doing so as long as I draw breath, and for them I am answerable to God alone and not to anyone else, I had no idea that boards ie was a branch of the Inquisition but then I am new here! Not likely to get any older here if this carries on! REALLY!:eek:

Well, exploring this my new area, I see there is an IGNORE list I can populate so am doing that as I am not about to be interrogated by folk I cannot see face to face and who seem to enjoy accusing. And who misread posts also, read things that are not there, :confused: I refuse to tame them seriously

Over and out and I hope you feel better soon; I mean that sincerely I really do

Let us enjoy the thread and the forum.. thanks to all positive input also. Means so much to me. It really does to have this at my age,;):D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Well, in around five decades of caring for, breeding and showing cats and dogs, I have never ill treated one and have often given them food when I have none to eat, and will go on doing so as long as I draw breath, and for them I am answerable to God alone and not to anyone else, I had no idea that boards ie was a branch of the Inquisition but then I am new here! Not likely to get any older here if this carries on! REALLY!:eek:

Well, exploring this my new area, I see there is an IGNORE list I can populate so am doing that as I am not about to be interrogated by folk I cannot see face to face and who seem to enjoy accusing. And who misread posts also, read things that are not there, :confused: I refuse to tame them seriously

Let us enjoy the thread and the forum.. thanks to all positive input also. Means so much to me. It really does to have this at my age,;):D:)

Sorry you feel that way, the forum is a really friendly place usually, with questions being answered with good grace, 7 years is how long I've been involved with rescue, not a patch on your 5 decades, but I do understand that people are passionate about animals and sometimes that passion can come across as something else. :)

The thing about posting on an animal loving forum is that people will read it and not necessarily agree with you. From your original post it sounds as though you moved with your cats to an area with an existing feral tom cat. The feral was showing normal territorial male cat behaviour, which was upsetting your cats. You borrowed a trap from a rescue, which you then used to trap the feral, transport him to and dump in a strange area, so he's not a problem for you any longer.

I don't believe that any reputable rescue would give a trap to a person whom they knew intended to use it to dump a cat. You say that you love animals and yet seem offended that other animal lovers are appalled at the idea of taking a cat feral or otherwise, and dumping it in a strange location.

You seem to be criticising those of us who are concerned about your behaviour and also using your age and lack of finances to bolster your stance:confused: For someone who professes to have 50 years of experience with cats and dogs you seem to have very little idea of what you're talking about with cats. You don't introduce a new cat to existing cats by throwing it out of the house when it doesn't interact with your existing cat in the way that you want it to, as seems to be the case with the other tom you're feeding.

The moral of the story OP is that if you don't want people to disagree with your methods, don't come to an animal forum and talk about how you dumped a cat out of it's environment because you didn't want it around. That kind of behaviour is all too common with people of your generation

Advertisement