Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is live wire?

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Took down a pir light and can't remember which wire to connect the live to, is it the single brown wire (L) or the brown and red wires (LS).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

nudger wrote: »
    Took down a pir light and can't remember which wire to connect the live to, is it the single brown wire (L) or the brown and red wires (LS).

Short answer if you don't know then you shouldn't be doing this..

Longer answer

they are both live.

One is permanently live and one is switched live ie. it becomes live when switched on by (I assume) the PIR.

But to repeat the short answer.

If you don't know this then you really shouldn't be playing with this.. Get someone who knows what they are doing as you risk death, nuisance tripping or a fire.. 230V is dangerous....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

knipex wrote: »
    Short answer if you don't know then you shouldn't be doing this..

Longer answer

they are both live.

One is permanently live and one is switched live ie. it becomes live when switched on by (I assume) the PIR.

But to repeat the short answer.

If you don't know this then you really shouldn't be playing with this.. Get someone who knows what they are doing as you risk death, nuisance tripping or a fire.. 230V is dangerous....

^^^ couldn't of said it better myself ,get a electrician, if you don't know the wires your an accident waiting to happen (no offence) I don't think people understand how dangerous electricity is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Job done, working fine, thought someone might know which connection was the right one from experience, thanks lads.

Advertisement