Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESX licensing

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi All, not sure if I am posting in the right thread...
    we are looking to purchase ESX server licence to support multiple CPUs on the host computer.
    Went to vmware but really confused which product is suitable for us.
    Somebody could help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Hi,

You can probably get in touch to sales though cork office, I use and support virtual platforms, but I don't know how much they cost, I assume they are crazy expensive.

http://www.vmware.com/company/office_locations/office_ireland.html

I am guessing that you know you can download esxi 5 for free. There is also the excellent alternative KVM, which is open source. If you want to pay RedHat for support they will gladly take your money (its less than vmware, I am lead to believe).

My 2c
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ESXi 5 as mentioned is free with some minor limitations, there is a server forum, you might find helpful :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1160

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭poops66

Thank you for your replies,
    I need to use it on host with 2 CPUs and free version is only for 1.
    Hence need to buy ESX

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Are you looking only for a single host?
    VMWare do a small business package for up to 3 hosts with 2 CPUs each, included a vCenter license, called VSphere Essentials, or Essentials Plus if you want vMotion etc. Not sure of the price, but that's what I'd be looking at.

Also maybe worth looking at Citrix XenServer if this is your first foray into virtualisation, works equally as well on many levels and often cheaper to license.

Disclosure: I work for Citrix, but not in the XenServer division and gain nothing from sales of XenServer Licenses. I use both XenServer and VMWare ESXi daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭poops66

it is for single host 2 CpUs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

poops66 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies,
    I need to use it on host with 2 CPUs and free version is only for 1.
    Hence need to buy ESX

Are you sure about that restriction? Pretty sure we were using free ESXi 5.0 on a box with 2 12-core AMD CPU's 'til the start of this year when we purchased licenses. Main reason for that was so we'd have Virtual Centre & VMotion rather than any restriction on CPU count.

Advertisement