Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing/Renting a property to share.

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I've been looking to share a house in Cork City (Douglas) for ages and can't find anything suitable.

I think it may be best to take out a lease on a 2 Bed apartment and then advertise the other room to rent out.

It gives me the decision then who I share with and there seems to be a demand too.

Do letting agents agree to this practice or are they bothered? Is it Estate Agent etiquette to approve/decline this practice?

Inevitably, my name would be in the lease so I'm responsible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would make it clear to the agent/landlord in advance what your intentions are, and gauge their reactions. Make them aware that you can and fully intend to pay the entire rent until such time that you find a flatmate, and that when you do find a candidate you will provide the landlord with full references etc for the potential flatmate.

There are two ways of doing this; you can either sublet or you can have their name added to the lease. Subletting means that you effectively become responsible for the new tenant, you basically become their landlord. Having their name added to the lease means that you are equal tenants. I dont think that a landlord can deny you subletting (if they do then you can terminate the lease) but I dont think that they are obliged to allow you modify the lease to add the name of the new person to the tenancy.

I might have it wrong but I also think that if you are subletting then the new person becomes a licensee rather than a tenant (assuming you remain living in the property), and as such are not covered by Residential Tenancies Act and are not afforded any of the rights of a tenant. This means there are no notice period, laws regarding termination etc. Someone might be able to clarify this point though.

Advertisement